SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Cheesy Okra Fritters

This is our first time making Okra Fritters and everyone liked the recipe, we used a Mexican three cheese blend for the cheese.

If we make this again, we are going to try the three cheese blend with an additional 1/4 cup of cheddar.
Were also going to try this recipe with broccoli florets in place of the okra.
I liked the fritters a little thinner and crispier, others liked them a tad thicker, try it both ways.

I suggest a dipping sauce for this, My kids use ranch for everything and I was going to just put out some ranch then I was going to try a honey mustard dip but opted for the copy cat recipe for outbacks Blooming Onion Sauce and it was a hit, even the neighbors commented that the sauce made the dish.

Don't buy buttermilk unless you can use it all, it's not worth it. Instead you can make your own.

Cheesy Okra Fritters

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Canola Oil
  • ½ cups Flour
  • 2 cups Okra, Coarsely Chopped
  • ½ Small Onion, Diced
  • ¼ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 Egg
  • ¼ cups Buttermilk
  • 1 cup Shredded Cheese
Salt And Pepper

Preparation

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. In a large bowl, combine the flour, okra, onion and cayenne and toss to coat. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk until thoroughly combined.

Add the buttermilk mixture to the okra, stirring to combine.

Add the cheese and stir again until fully incorporated. Salt and pepper conservatively.

Working in batches, drop batter in small mounds into the oil (a small ice cream scoop works well). Using a spatula, gently press each mound until slightly flattened.

Fry the fritters until golden, about 4 minutes per side, flipping once. (If they’re browning too quickly, adjust the heat.)
Drain the fritters on paper towels or newspaper, sprinkle with kosher salt and serve warm.

Blooming onion dipping sauce

INGREDIENTS:
  • ½ cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish (GO HEAVY)
  • 2 teaspoons ketchup
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
Dash ground black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper

DIRECTIONS:
In a small bowl, stir together all of the ingredients until completely combined.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Leftover dipping sauce can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.

Buttermilk Substitute
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar, or fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup milk
Place the vinegar in a glass-measuring cup, and add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Stir to combine and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes (The mixture will begin to curdle)

Foodgardenguy
Newly Registered

I've never heard of Cheesy Okra Fritters before. We grow Okra every year, and this is something we're definitely going to try.

I've learned quite a bit already from you SQWIB

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Awesome, post back if you make these, I would suggest better cheeses than what I used.
these cheeses were suggested by another forum member

Quesos Oaxaca (think Mozzarella, but with more mojo), Manchego (the MX style, Spain version different), and Chihuahua (this will be your cheddar), and then you'll have a true Mexican three cheese combo. I guarantee your fritters will zing.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”