applestar
Mod

Sugar overload — fudge and other sweets

Yesterday, I was rummaging in the pantry for dessert/sweet/snack inspiration — I had no eggs, was down to last 3 Tbs of butter, and had no milk, though I did have kefir... I was hoping to find yeast, but it seemed I had run out of that as well.... :roll:

This ruled out bread, short/baking powder sweet bread and muffins, scones/biscuit.... I did have a store bought refrigerated pie dough and apples, but I wasn’t in mood for pie,

Then I came across two opened bags of butterscotch chips, and remembered seeing 3 cans of condensed sweetened milk that I had been planning to make flan with — all I needed was 1 can for a quick fudge. I needed pecans to make a quick butterscotch fudge according to a recipe I had saved.... but nope no pecans, halves or otherwise, and barely a handful of walnut halves... but I did have an unopened net bag of nuts in shells. :D I took the bag and 2 nut crackers to the family room and asked if anyone wanted me to make butterscotch fudge? DH saw through my plot and said he wasn’t interested, but my DD who was deep in viewing a YouTube video, somehow heard and jumped up from the couch. So I handed her the bag and asked her to crack a cup of pecans.

DD2 showed up so she was put in charge of stirring the pot of butterscotch chips and condensed milk. DD1 snagged the mostly emptied condensed milk can to finish off with spoon, mini spatula, etc.

...I was called back from preparing the pan and laying out the remaining ingredients — there were NO pecans in the mixed nuts. WHAT? But it was true, so DD opted for mixture of walnuts and almonds. I also found a few white chocolate kitkats, so I chopped them up and scattered on the bottom of the buttered parchment-lined square pan.

After the fudge was poured and the utencils and pot had been distributed for the requisite pre-cleaning :wink: I started to leave the room and was halfway up the stairs when I remembered the sea salt which should have been sprinkled on immediately. DD2 offered to grind on the Himalayan pink rock salt instead.

So, here — I will share the piece I’m eating — even cut into 16 one inch pieces, this thing is so sweet that I have to take small nibbles and eat it slowly :>

webmaster
Site Admin

Wow, that's really sweet! :P

Sundays can be a fun cooking challenge, rounding up the leftovers and seeing how they can be combined into a meal. My wife usually prefers takeout or something ready to eat from Trader Joes, to make it a lazy Sunday.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Fudge is something I have never made but have been interested in. I have always wanted to start with lots of chopped nuts & granola, then mix in enough chocolate fudge to glue all the nuts & granola together to make energy bars. Maybe mix in some peanut butter too. I wonder if that will work. Cold weather is a great time to have fun in the kitchen.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Why didn't you make a chocolate cake, Apple? After all, yesterday was National Chocolate Cake Day! lol

And speaking of sweets, Saturday (1-26) was National Peanut Brittle Day. I didn't have any peanuts, but I made some amaranth brittle. I popped 1 c of amaranth, and stirred that into the syrup about halfway through, as I would nuts. Can't get much sweeter than homemade candy!

applestar
Mod

Ha! You know you are talking to a quintessential non-conformist, right? :hehe: :> :() :roll:

...I do love it when cooking is a group effort and ideas come together to create something everyone enjoys. :D

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”