Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: Mexican Food

WHY can I never remember how to spell, Guacamole and Pico De Gallo without looking it up. Spell check is no help.

2 pm snack. 1 Avocado mashed with potato masher. I threw in the last 3 tablespoons of Pico De Gallo that I made 4 days ago. 1 whole ripe garden tomato. 1 very small garden onion. Cilantro chopped very fine. 1 garden tabasco pepper chopped very fine with no seeds. Salt to taste. I basically used chips like a big spoon and ate the whole Guacamole in about 12 bites.
Attachments
100_1049.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

LUNCH for 2. I use to buy this all the time in AZ restaurants but can't buy this in TN restaurants. I made my own for lunch. Cover 8"x12" pan with thin layer of chips. Top with grilled chicken or pulled pork or last choice beef if you like beef. Sprinkle cheese over chips, top with diced sweet bell peppers, diced, onions, diced tomatoes. Top with more sprinkle cheese. Top with Salsa. Drizzle Queso cheese & sour cream on top. Sprinkle top with slices jalapeno peppers. Save an empty catsup bottle to squirt on sour cream. I have no jalapenos so I used garden Tabasco peppers. We like RED sweet bell peppers best but green bell peppers make it more attractive. Sliced avocado is very good too. My avocado is bad so I trashed it.
Attachments
100_2041.JPG
100_2040.JPG
100_2039.JPG
100_2038.JPG
100_2037.JPG
100_2043.JPG
100_2044.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a Mexican type dish today, using a bunch of veggies from the garden. First, I made an adobo with the end of the tomatillos, a couple of tomatoes, some garlic, and some toasted chiles - anchos, cascabel, and guajillos. I grilled the tomatillos and tomatoes, and blended all this until smooth. Then cooked it down quickly, over medium high heat, scraping the pan for 6-7 minutes, then added 2 c water, that I rinsed the blender out with, then I simmered it, while preparing the veggies. I had some beans I cut into about 1" pieces, and some okra I cut into 1/2" pieces - about 2 cups of each - and one small eggplant.
ImageStirring various vegetables into the adobo, before simmering. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I simmered all this together, while getting the chorizo ready - something that I had made with that venison a friend gave me recently. After about 20 minutes, I stirred it in, simmered another 3 minutes, and made some tacos with some toasted corn tortillas.
ImageAll the veggies, cooked about 20 minutes in the adobo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageCooked chorizo, added to the vegetable adobo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished vegetable adobo mix, cooked briefly with the venison chorizo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFirst taco, with the venison chorizo and vegetable adobo, with some jack cheese. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Street Food Burrito / Taco

This was intended to be a Burrito but too much filling it won't roll up the best I can do is Taco shape?

I put an 8" flour tortilla in the hot cast iron skillet then started adding toppings. 1 tablespoon of sour cream. Turmeric, cumin, chili powder, tabasco sauce.

Next 5 pieces of cooked chicken, pak choy, carrots, red onion.

I went to the garden and picked up a tomato. When I pulled up the tomato plants I dropped all the green tomatoes on the soil they are slowly getting ripe. Warm soil is protecting tomatoes from frost & freeze. There are 2 more ripe tomatoes & about 6 or 7 green ones.

Several squirts of Tabasco sauce, yellow cheese, white cheese, tomatoes, salt, pepper.

Tortilla is starting to brown I tried to roll it into burrito shape but too much filling.

This turned out to be very good Taco. I added 6 more squirts of tabasco sauce.
Attachments
100_2730.JPG
100_2731.JPG
100_2733.JPG
100_2735.JPG
100_2736.JPG
100_2737.JPG
100_2739.JPG
100_2740.JPG
100_2741.JPG
100_2743.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

ENCHILADAS

We made Mexican Enchiladas for dinner with my fermented sauce, WOW these are so good, much better than factory sauce. Everyone said, where did you buy this good Enchilada sauce.

Recipe is, 1 lb of your favorite meat, pork, chicken or beef. 1 large onion diced, 4 garlic cloves diced, cook meat, onions, garlic, add 8 oz package of cream cheese, add 1½ cups Enchilada sauce, mix well.

Spoon filling onto tortilla shells, row them up, top with Enchilada sauce, top with cheese, bake until cheese melts.

Video, how to wrap an Enchilada.

Attachments
100_3472.JPG

webmaster
Site Admin

I love enchiladas and tried to make them in the late 1990s but they never worked out because the corn tortillas would fall apart. I'm assuming that's why you're using flour tortillas.

The secret to making enchiladas, I found out a few years ago, is to lightly fry the corn tortillas so that they are slightly stiff and a little golden but not so stiff that they're corn chips.

Now they can be stuffed, rolled up and placed into a casserole dish with sauce and cheese and ready for the oven. They won't fall apart and will be restaurant quality. ;)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:45 am
I love enchiladas and tried to make them in the late 1990s but they never worked out because the corn tortillas would fall apart. I'm assuming that's why you're using flour tortillas.

The secret to making enchiladas, I found out a few years ago, is to lightly fry the corn tortillas so that they are slightly stiff and a little golden but not so stiff that they're corn chips.

Now they can be stuffed, rolled up and placed into a casserole dish with sauce and cheese and ready for the oven. They won't fall apart and will be restaurant quality. ;)
Enchiladas are traditionally made with corn shells and burritos are traditionally flour tortillas. When we lived in Arizona when I was in grade school we learned to cook corn shells in a hot cast iron skillet with no oil. Cook each side about 15 seconds, add filling then roll them up. I like corn shells best for Enchiladas but tortilla shells are much large and less work than corn shells. Dinner is easier and faster to roll up 8 tortilla shells instead of 16 corn shells. Tortillas don't need to be cooked less work.. That is called, lazy. LOL.

webmaster
Site Admin

Gary350 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:07 pm
I like corn shells best for Enchiladas but tortilla shells are much large and less work than corn shells.
Ha! I think you invented the Burritilada! :D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I only use corn tortillas, and the brief frying of them for enchiladas is a traditional method. Rick Bayless, in one of his books, came up with a slightly less oily method, that I used a couple of times, and it worked, but I still don't make them very often. In that, he sprays them with baking spray, and lays them out on a sheet, and bakes them briefly, before filling, and saucing, and baking them.

Today I made some more salsa negra, since this is National Hot Sauce day! This is something that I have to always have on hand, and was down to about 2 tb, so I had to make more! :o

For cooking these moritas in the oil, in the beginning, I have to turn my exhaust fan on, even when it's very cold out! As much I love the smell, it can choke you, if it gets concentrated.
ImageLightly frying half of the moritas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe browned garlic, and the little bit left from the last batch of salsa negra. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageGround up mix, in the VM. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageCooked for the firt 3 minutes, before turning down to med-low, for 20 more minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAfter cooking about 15 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished salsa negra - almost black, and almost a solid blob. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSalsa negra in a pint jar, until next time I have to make it! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This will keep indefinitely in the fridge, and only a small amount is needed to give that chipotle flavor. Even in recipes with some canned chipotles, I'll add a small amount, for an even better flavor.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Authentic Mexican Burrito, Fried Rice & Lentils.

I was flipping TV channels when I found a Mexican cooking show I have never seen. I missed the first 2 minutes of the show & the interdiction. I'm not sure if this is Mexico or South America. The family was home cooking dinner for 8 adults and 3 children. Some of them speak ok English it is strange to hear chicken pronounced Chee Kon and Chilies pronounced Chee Lees.

Boil meat in a pot of water with, 4 bay leaves, 1 onion, 10 garlic, good size 4 finger grab of oregano, big spoon of cumin & 1 spoon of Turmeric. They cooked beef and WE cooked chicken with our garden sweet bell peppers. Cut, shred or chop meat, return meat to hot water pot to marinade while cooking other things.

They cooked brown Lentils as refried beans. Add about 1 teaspoon of everything, cumin, oregano, onion, 2 garlic, cilantro, oil or butter & 1 cup of water. Lentils cook in 30 minutes. Puree in kitchen blender they turn out to be a tiny bit green color maybe from puree cilantro.

Cook rice in a skillet, 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, several red chilies chopped, cumin, oregano, salt. We used chili powder instead of our Tabasco peppers.

Hot Sauce, about 10 to 12 long red chilies, oregano, cumin, salt, cilantro, sugar, 1 pint of water, puree in kitchen blender. I have frozen red tabasco peppers in the freezer this sauce is good.

Heat tortilla shell in hot skillet add meat, row back end of tortilla over the meat, fold in both sides, roll up the burrito, fry golden brown both sides.

Place, Burrito, rice, lentils on a plate. They covered everything on the plant with red chili sauce. They also covered everything with so much cilantro it looks like a salad. I have cilantro in the garden all winter but I'm not using as much cilantro as they did. They never added cheese to anything. I put cheese on my burrito.

I am amazed how good this is. I never buy burritos in a restaurant I don't like American style burritos. I will make this again. I never ate a burrito this good. This reminds me of meat burros more than burritos.

Fried Rice is very good different than anything in a restaurant.

Refried Lentils are good too. They taste different than beans but still very good.
Attachments
100_3792.JPG
100_3790.JPG
100_3789.JPG
100_3788.JPG
100_3786.JPG
100_3785.JPG
100_3784.JPG
100_3783.JPG
100_3782.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

It looks so good!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Menudo & Goat Adobo

This recipe is from Mexico south of Guadalajara. This is the same cooking TV show I saw last week.

Cut up a fresh killed chicken boil the whole chicken in 2 gallons of water with 1 large onion and 1 whole garlic head. They cooked the entire chicken, even the head & feet & everything inside cut in smaller pieces. Then put in the tripe, after tripe cooks remove, cut in bite size pieces, return tripe pieces to the soup pot. Add 5 chilies about 7" long. Add about 5 or 6 whole red tomatoes. Add several types of vegetables. Add spices at the end of the cook, cumin, oregano, salt, cilantro.

This is Mexican Vegetable soup. I love Menudo but never had it with tripe no one sells it in TN.

Bake a whole goat 6 hours in a stone oven. Cut up the meat put the meat on dinner plates then cover the meat with Red Chili sauce. Bake the dinner plates in the stone oven until all the chili sauce dehydrated. After removing dinner plates from the oven it looks like meat is covered in dark sticky chocolate. TV pictures changes too fast to get good pics of goat adobo.

OH WOW this looks good.

I know goat meat is very good lots of folks raise goats in TN. I like goat better than any other meat. I don't have a stone oven but I bet I can make this in our oven. & stove top.
Attachments
100_4041.JPG
100_4043.JPG
100_4044.JPG
100_4052.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I made REAL enchiladas. It has been years sense I made enchiladas the correct way. We usually throw something together quick & use flour tortillas they are easier. I bought a 30 pack of corn tortillas last week. I looked at my 45 year old recipe then watched a YouTube video then make very good enchiladas. I have Mexican mild Chilies in mason jars. I ate 3 for dinner. I will eat 2 for breakfast tomorrow & maybe 2 for lunch tomorrow. I made good salsa too. Lady in video shows the correct way to make good enchilada sauce. She makes a good dinner too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVLLFQaEzk
Attachments
100_5832.JPG
100_5833.JPG
100_5835.JPG
100_5836.JPG
100_5838.JPG
100_5839.JPG
100_5840.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Those look good, and numerous! You have a lot of good meals ahead! Nothing like fresh corn tortillas with most Mexican food. If you have a Mexican grocery that you shop at, even better than the usual corn tortillas are the ones made with fresh nixtamal, instead of using masa harina. The one near me only gets them occasionally, but the owner tells me when I go in, and he has them.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have been cooking authentic Enchiladas sauce about 2 times every week. I have not cooked Enchiladas the correct way for about 10 years but now I am getting much better at it again. Wife likes to be the cook but she likes Enchiladas cooked the correct way so much she is letting me cook. My recipe is better than ever.

1 quart of garden ripe tomatoes diced.
1 medium onion diced.
4 garlic cloves diced.
1 tablespoon of Mexican Oregano. I bought 12 ounces of this on Ebay.
1 teaspoon of cumin.
1 teaspoon of salt.
2 teaspoons of corn starch.
1/3 cup of Chili powder or 8 red chili peppers of your choice with no seeds. Anaheim or New Mexico or California or Hotter.

Meat, beef, pork or chicken.

Bring mixture to a boil then puree with a French mixer. When sauce gets thick about 2 minutes remove from the heat.

Mix some of the Enchilada sauce with the meat then mix in cheddar cheese & cream cheese to suite your taste.

Fry corn shells in a hot skillet about 30 seconds on each side. You only need 2 drops of oil in the skillet to cook each corn shell.

Roll meat filling up in each corn shell. Place Enchiladas in a pan. Top with Enchilada sauce & cheddar cheese. Bake at 350° F long enough to melt the cheese.
Attachments
100_5993.JPG
100_5994.JPG
100_5996.JPG

webmaster
Site Admin

Gary, that recipe sounds pretty authentic except for the cream cheese. Also, it appears to be missing some chicken stock. Try adding two times whatever cups of tomato sauce you use. So if you use one cup tomato sauce then use two cups soup stock.

I make green chili enchilada sauce with about 8 ounces of chopped green chili, cumin, oregano, onions, a couple pickled jalapeno's for heat and about a half cup of water or broth, whatever it takes to get to the right consistency.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:12 pm
Gary, that recipe sounds pretty authentic except for the cream cheese. Also, it appears to be missing some chicken stock. Try adding two times whatever cups of tomato sauce you use. So if you use one cup tomato sauce then use two cups soup stock.

I make green chili enchilada sauce with about 8 ounces of chopped green chili, cumin, oregano, onions, a couple pickled jalapeno's for heat and about a half cup of water or broth, whatever it takes to get to the right consistency.
Your right a lot of Mexican people cook with chick broth. Videos I find on YouTube it depends on geographical location some people cook the whole chicken including, feet, head & intestines. Then cook vegetables and sauce with chicken broth. I like to watch the women in this video cook she has 6 dozen videos.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I make Enchilada sauce with our garden peppers last night but it was not good it tasted like sauce made with bell peppers. I found this video and learned my mistake. These people are using dry peppers. They remove seeds to reduce hotness. They leave in the vanes they are spicy and gives sauce the bitter flavor it needs. I picked 16 chili peppers soon as they become red they will be Enchilada sauce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocUVI4VjSeQ

imafan26
Mod

These are some good ideas. I don't make Mexican food much, but your ideas give me plenty of choices to try. I don't have the ingredients for all of them, but I can make some of them. Mexican food is not good here and most stores don't carry a lot of Mexican ingredients.

Because Mexican food is not something I ate a lot. It is a taste I am not used to. I have some burritos in the freezer I made that need to be used up. I made more than I could eat because one recipe made a lot. Most of the time I eat the same thing for days. But I don't like it enough to eat leftovers. I need different sauces to go with it.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Home grown Anaheim peppers need to be dehydrated and roasted to taste like Enchilada peppers. A package of 20 dark reddish brown color grocery store peppers were roasted in Mexico 110° desert sun. I roasted 20 of my Anaheim peppers on the dash of my truck. Today we made enchilada sauce from instruction on this YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVLLFQaEzk

We made enchiladas from a video too. Grocery store corn shells need to be fried in a hot skillet about 25 seconds one each side before they will roll into enchilada shapes and not fall apart.

Ground beef is cooked in a hot skillet then remove from heat, stir in 4 diced garlic cloves and 1 whole onion chopped uncooked. Stir 3/4 of a bag of Mexican cheese into the meat. Put 2 tablespoons of meat in each corn tortilla shell then roll it up.

Pour enchilada sauce over the enchiladas then top with cheese. Everything is already cooked, no need to melt cheese in hot oven unless you want too.

Mexican restaurants put rolled enchiladas directly on dinner plant not in a large pan. Then restaurants top your enchiladas with sauce, cheese, lettuce.

Wow, our enchiladas turned out very good. Our enchiladas are better than the Mexican restaurant we go to because, we put cheese, onion, garlic, in our filling, restaurant meat only has cooked onions.
Attachments
100_8308.JPG
100_8383.JPG
100_8384.JPG
100_8385.JPG
100_8386.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wow look at this. This gives me an idea for dinner.

https://www.facebook.com/thefoodranger/ ... 019413992/

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

On superbowl day, I made a dish I was originally going to make on my Birthday, but there was a lot of it leftover, so I had some tacos with it 3 times today! It is one of my favorite Mexican dishes, though I don't make it as often as I used to, since it has 2 lbs of shrimp - more for several people, though it's delicious cold, too. The dish is fairly easy to make...as long as that salsa negra is on hand! And that is something I always keep on hand (I have to make another batch now). The original salsa negra of Rick Bayless has 4 oz of dried moritas, and some peeled garlic, both shallow fried, then put in a syrup made with some piloncillo. When the mix cools, it is then blended until totally smooth, then cooked down to a paste. The later recipe he came up with because it was easier (it was in a later book, and the one online), with canned chipotles, and brown sugar, but it simply wasn't as good as the one with moritas - what makes it black.

The shrimp recipe calls for just a 6 oz broiled or grilled tomato, but this time I used dried tomatoes - just under .5 oz, and water up to 6 oz, to soak. And I used a shallot, instead of a small onion, which I didn't have. And I had 2.2 oz of salsa negra in the jar - the recipe uses 2-4 oz, and this was the maximum, and it is definitely warm!
ImageShrimp in salsa negra chipotle sauce, on corn tortillas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are all the photos together, if you want to see how it's made!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91097628@ ... 314744662/

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today is National Chili Day, and National Margar I made some chili today, but no Margaritas - maybe if I had someone to help me with the drinking, too.

Not really Mexican, or Texas chili, but I got a lb each of ground beef and venison from the freezer, and thawed it most of the way in the microwave. I browned the beef first, then the venison, which doesn't brown as well, due to very little fat. Meanwhile, I cut up a large onion, and started that sautéeing in the Instant Pot until golden, then added a tb of minced garlic, the green chiles, a tsp of Mexican oregano, a tsp of ground cumin, and a half tsp of ground coriander, plus all the chili powders, stirred 30 seconds or so, then added the tomato paste, (which was 1½ oz dried tomatoes, soaked, then blended, with 2 toasted tortillas) and some water, then hit OFF. Then I mixed the browned meats together in the sauté pan, deglazed the pan, and added all that to the Instant Pot. Mixed that, added a little more water, added a little salt (more later, since I didn't know how much those pintos would add), then set it to Slow Cook/high, and let it simmer about 2 hours. Then I added the large can of rinsed pintos, and simmered another 45 min. Served with some monterey jack, and a couple flame toasted corn tortillas.
ImageVenison on L, beef on R, browned separately, ready to add to the Instant Pot, and deglaze the pan. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFour different chili powders, plus a tb of sweet paprika. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageOnion and garlic, cooked in EVOO, with the frozen green chilies, Mex oregano, Mex chocolate, cumin, coriander, tomatoes, and chili powder, added to the meat by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageEverything in the chili except for the pintos, starting to simmer, on Slow cook "high". 29 oz can of pintos goes in later. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRinsed and drained pintos, added to the chili, after simmering about 2 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImagePintos simmered about 45 minutes in the chili, ready to serve. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished chili, wit a couple of flame toasted tortillas, before topping with a little cheese. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Burrito shape Street Tacos.

We have a very good street taco recipe with black beans that is very good we eat it about once a week.

Cook 1/2 onion diced & meat in skillet cook until done. Pour in 1/2 jar of salsa stir well. Stir in, Mexican oregano & Cumin & smoked paprika & 1 can of black beans. Street tacos are 5" diameter they are too small so we started making 6" and they are small as well. Last week we made 8" tacos and today we made 8" again but rolled them up like burritos. Top with, cheese, lettuce, sauce, cilantro, what ever you like.

I have so much cilantro growing in the garden I eat it like lettuce on everything. Cilantro is much easier to grow than any other greens. Pull out a hand full of leaves put them on what ever we like. No I didn't wash cilantro before eating it.
Attachments
101_8521.JPG
101_8522.JPG
101_8523.JPG
101_8524.JPG
101_8525.JPG
101_8520.JPG

imafan26
Mod

I have never seen a savoy cabbage. I have heard of them, we just don't get them herbe. I have grown Napa cabbage. I usually grow the Michili variety. I haven't grown it in years because it takes up so much room in the garden.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”