SQWIB
Greener Thumb

My First Canned Turkey Soup

November 25th, 2018

Canned Turkey Soup

Here is my last batch of turkey soup that I canned. This is not a recipe or a how to, so follow a trusted recipe and proper canning procedures.

When I make turkey soup I don't follow a recipe, I usually wing it. For as long as I can remember, I would always make soup after Thanksgiving and everything was dumped in there, mashed potatoes, stuffing, yams, everything.
For this soup I was a bit more cautious because it was to be canned.

I reduced the stock by 50% when cooking this thinking it would be like a concentrate and I could add a few cups of water for a larger pot of soup, but after tasting it, I decided to leave it alone, it was incredible as is, I was actually a bit surprised, however, if you are the type of person that likes firm veggies, this is not for you.

Salt, pepper, Thyme, Bay Leaves, Basil, Parsley, minced onion, minced garlic were added during cook.
Turkey bones and gravy leftovers were simmered for 4 hours or so.

Bones were removed, picked for meat and the broth was strained, the meat was refrigerated.

Stock was reduced to 50%, thyme added during reduction then taste tested, then placed in the fridge.

Stock was defatted to remove as much fat as possible, all veggies were Raw Packed with a teaspoon of salt.
Two of the jars were a tad shy of turkey broth so I had to add chicken stock, I have not tasted the chicken stock ones yet but will update this when I do.

Reheating.
Canned Turkey soup was reheated in a pot and cooked egg noodles were added to the pot.

applestar
Mod

This looks like so much FUN! :-()

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”