Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Chili

1 lb of 96% ground beef scrambled in 2 T oil in a hot skillet until brown.
Add, herbs, onion, garlic.
1 T garden fresh oregano chopped fine
1 T dried grocery store oregano
1 T ground cumin
2 T chili powder
1 T paprika
1 tsp crushed red pepper
10 garlic cloves chopped
1 very large onion chopped.
Cook until onions are cooked..

Add 2 pints of garden tomatoes for thick chili or 3 pints tomatoes for soupier Chili.
2 bay leaves
1 T bark brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T soy sauce
2 cans Dark Red Kidney beans. Substitute 1 can for your favorite beans if you like. I substituted 1 can field peas today. Wife loves chili with 1 can of BBQ baked beans in it, it is very good.

Simmer & stir about 30 minutes or so.
Attachments
100_1943.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Nice!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I just got a 5 1/2 lb rump roast today, and I'm toying with the idea of making chili tomorrow - maybe some Texas style, with cubed beef, and no beans, or some black bean chili. I rarely make the Texas style any more, due to the price of beef, but once in a while there's a sale. I might go back and get another rump roast when they open in the morning, as it is a coupon sale, and I could only get one, and Sat. is the last day. That would be a lot of chili for my freezer, and it is chili season!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made that black bean chili today. I cut about 3 1/2 lbs of the beef into cubes, then ground up the rest - all the fat and irregular pieces. Amazingly, with all that fat in it, when I browned it in the Dutch oven hardly any fat cooked out of it, and the pot was more or less dry when that was done - nothing to cook the onions. This is why I always grind my own meat - those % numbers on ground beef have to be added fat, as even when some of the "lower fat" ground beef is cooked this way, a layer of fat is left in the pot.

I cooked the beans for 20 minutes in the Instant pot, while browning the meat, and preparing all the rest of the dish. I browned the meat cubes for the first time in one of those ceramic nonstick pans, which I've used for many things before, but not meat. Worked great with just a smearing of oil, and creates a great fond - just as good as a metal pan, and much better than the old NS pans.

Besides the onions, garlic, cumin, and oregano, I used 4 different powdered chilis in this, along with about 3/4c roasted, peeled Big Jims, I had frozen. Also added some of that dark cocoa powder, instead of chocolate, some tomato paste, and 3 tb apple cider vinegar. Simmered for just under 2 hours, then thickened it with masa harina. Then I put it outside to cool - yes, it's that time of year! I'll eat it tomorrow - always better the second day, plus friends are coming over.

Finished simmering, before the thickening:
ImageIMG_20181110_181731008 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

After thickening with masa harina:
ImageIMG_20181110_184342293 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

They all look yummy.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This is my wife's chili recipe she won first place in a chili contest about 20 years ago. If you don't like spicy food or can't eat spicy food you will like this. Recipe has, no chili power, no cumin, no oregano. All the flavor comes from, onion, garlic, tomatoes, bakes beans, it is amazing how good this is.

Cook 1 lb of ground beef in a skillet with 1 large onion and 10 garlic cloves.
When meat is brown and onions are cooked add 1 quart of ripe garden tomatoes.
Bring to a boil then add 1 can 15 oz of dark kidney beans.
Bring to a boil again then add 1 can 20 oz Bushes Baked Beans Maple flavor.
Attachments
100_8346.JPG
100_8345.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Do any of you use epazote in the chili?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Chili with refrigerator left overs.

Wife said, we can eat left overs or I was thinking about making Chili. After wife told me what left overs we have I said, put all that in the chili. She said, hum..........................................that might be good.

1 lb ground beef cooked in skillet with
1 large onion diced
30 small garden garlic cloves

1 quart mason jar of garden tomatoes.
1 1/4 pints of baked beans
3 corn on cob from garden, kernels removed.

Leaves from 1 dead oregano plant. I brought this oregano plant into the house for the winter, I never water my garden I forgot to water this plant & it died. I raped all the leaves off the dead plant & threw them in the chili.

1 slice of ham.

3 meat balls with spaghetti sauce.

Herbs & spices cook in crock pot about 4 hours.

Wow this concoction turned out good I had 2 bowls.
Attachments
100_2226.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Weather turned cold, 30+ degrees and windy all day so we decided to make Chili for dinner. We cooked the lean 97% ground beef in the skillet with 1 large onion plus another 1/2 onion and about 20 cloves of garlic. Soon as meat was brown I threw in a large tablespoon of chili power, about 3/4 tablespoon of cumin, about 1 tablespoon of oregano, cook & stir about 5 minutes so oil soaks up the herb flavors. Then poured the whole thing in the crock pot. Next added 1 quart of garden tomatoes from the pantry, 1 can dark red kidney beans, 1 can bushes baked beans, 1 can navy beans. After cooking an hours we tasted the chili. Added more chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, black pepper, soy sauce. After tasting it an hour later we added a another pint mason jar of garden tomatoes, 2 bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper. About an hour later we tasted it, wow its good but too hot to eat so we turned off the crock pot and waited until dinner time. We both ate 2 bowls of chili then I had another bowl. The 2 of us ate 1/2 a crock pot of chili. Best way to make chili is, throw it all together and taste is about every hour, add more over and over until you have the flavor you like best, I love to cook like this but I don't do this very often these days.
Attachments
100_2307.JPG

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Gary looking good!!

You cook like me!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”