gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Bread & Butter Pickles are on the way

I've got a nice bunch of pickling cucumbers saved up and went to the store to get some quart jars to put them up. I have a ton of pint jars, but I don't really like using that small jars for pickles. When I get done picking what's on the vines today, I'll probably have about 30 of them in the 3-4 inch long range to slice and put up. When I pack the jars that should yield me between 4-5 quarts of finished product.

I've also got about 30 Habanero peppers that I'm going to use to make more pepper jelly and that will be canned in the pint jars. Guess it's time to head to the market to get some red, green, yellow and orange peppers to add some color to the jelly. It should smell real good by days end in the house with all that sweet stuff being processed.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My grandmother use to make the best bread & butter pickles but I have never made any. Next garden season I want to make some. I need help from someone that knows how. What kind of cucumbers do you grow? How many plants do I need? What is your recipe and instruction to make pickles?

xtron
Cool Member

I grow straight eight cucks. they are an heirloom so are pretty reliable, and you can do the seed saving thing if you are into that.

here's my wife's grandmother's recipie...which I have mastered...much to my mother in laws irritation, she can't get even close...

14 cucumbers 1 1/2 inches long sliced length ways
let stand in 1/2 cup salt water in 1 gallon water solution 1/2 hour
rinse
let stand in 2 teaspoons alum in 1 gallon water for 45 minutes
rinse

mix 2 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
2 teaspoons celery seeds
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric

slow heat rinsed cucks in brine to boiling
pack in jars
cover with hot brine(re heat if needed)
tighten lids hand tight
jars will self seal with no further processing needed

store sealed jars in cool dark space until at least thanksgiving to allow proper aging (this is the hard part)
CHILL BEFORE SERVING

if you have more cucks than will fit in the brine, double the measurements and save the excess for future batch.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”