jeff84

who uses wild onions

I have hundreds of them, and have been using the greens for a long time anytime a recipe calls for "green onions" always have left the tiny bulbs in the ground. am I missing out?

was recently told by a local that they are awesome

thanrose
Greener Thumb

We don't see them much down here, not like I did in South Jersey as a child. I would eat them, but only cooked, and I was very picky then about peeling the tougher skin and removing gritty roots. Emphasize very. One tiny hint of grit and I'd toss the cooked onions out.

Now, I'd happily pick them from the fields if I saw them, and maybe peel and eat right away. I don't think ours were too sharp tasting, but my thinking is that the drier the climate, and perhaps hotter, the more acrid the onion.

I'd definitely be nurturing them if I came across any.

jeff84

I mow hundreds of them down every time I cut the grass.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Way back then, 1960- 1970s, I read a lot of Euell Gibbons and Boy Scout manual stuff on survival and wild edibles, wild plant utility, etc. My brothers had a very dedicated scout master who believed in getting them to know their environment and make use of what was at hand. They did tons of wilderness camping. One made it to Eagle and beyond.

Anyhow, I probably read about eating the wild onions from Gibbons, and got confirmation from Scout Master X. If you want to get more information on these wild edibles, I'd suggest finding some of these old books to read. Bradford Angiers, Euell Gibbons, Billy Joe Tatum, are some of the older ones. Steve Brill, Deane Jordan and many others are contemporary sources who may not have books, but have apps or sites. There are a lot of flaky types out there who think they know what they are talking about but really don't, and a lot of pseudo-survival advice that is garbage. Cross check your references, and triple check your ID.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”