Oboegirl
Newly Registered

Can I Safely Preserve This Basil?

I just picked a bunch of my basil to dehydrate when I noticed the brown damaged spots on some of the leaves. I think it's spider mites? Anyway, does anyone know if it is safe to preserve and eat?
Attachments
IMG_8171.JPG

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

If the basil is well washed it is not unsafe but the flavor is compromised. Personally I would not use the damaged leaves.

Basil is so easy to grow in abundance that there is no need to use damaged leaves.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I have to agree with Elizabeth on this. The only time I have a basil shortage is when it's not even planted in my garden, other than that, one plant gives me all I need or want-------and then some.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

About 7 years ago I experimented with saving herbs.

Freezing seems to be the easiest and best for short term storage but it does not take long for the good flavor to be gone.

I read online that herb oils mix well with alcohol that is how extracts are made. I stuff pint size mason jars with herbs then filled the jars with cheap whisky. Soon much of the flavor is in the whisky. Put basil and whisky in your recipe the alcohol boils off at 185 degrees leaving all the herb flavor in the food.

FinnMcOwl

You can but you're losing out on the flavor. Nothing will quite taste the same as a fresh herb. Although there's definitely uses in preserved or dried herbs as well.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”