ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Corn Maque Choux (Mock Shoe)

RBG - you have a lovely stand of corn so this is for you.

The recipe was originally a Native American recipe. The Acadians got their hands on it and modified it.

Husk your corn and brush the silk off. You need a very sharp knife. You may want to work over your sink because this can be messy. Set a mesh sieve over a bowl. Cut your corn along the length of the cob 1/2 way through the kernels. Make a second cut at the base of the kernels. Use the blade of your knife to scrape the cob. This will release a lot of lovely corn milk. It will also splatter a lot.

Let the corn drain and reserve the milk.

I have never used a recipe so I am winging measurements.

2 - 3 cups sliced corn
1/2 cup small dice onion
1/4 cup small dice green bell pepper
1/4 cup small dice red bell pepper
2 green onions thin sliced - greens and whites
1 clove garlic minced
1 large tomato - peeled, seeded and small dice

Dunk your tomato in a pot of boiling water for 30/45 seconds. Put in a bowl of ice water. Peel. Put the tomato in a mesh sieve over a bowl. Use your hands to smash it up and release the tomato water and seeds. Toss the seeds and reserve the water. Small chop the tomato.

I use a heavy, copper clad, stainless skillet for this size batch or a large stainless soup pot for a really large batch.

Heat 1 TBSP. olive oil & 2 TBSP. butter on medium.

Sweat onions and bell peppers until onions are transparent. Add garlic - cook until just fragrant. Remove veggies.

Add another 1 or 2 TBSP. butter. When butter is hot add drained corn. Cook stirring constantly with a wood spoon for 3 to 5 minutes. Return cooked veggies to skillet, add corn milk, tomatoes and tomato water. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until liquid is nearly all evaporated. You may not need all of the corn milk and only 1 or 2 TBSP. tomato water. The cooking time may be off. You want the corn to be tender but not mushy.

Add green onions, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

I hate when I order Maque Choux at a restaurant and get canned corn cooked with red and green bell peppers. Yuck!

There is always local sweet corn available through out the summer. Good but my favorite is Colorado sweet corn available only in August. I usually get several dozen ears and make a large batch of Maque Choux to freeze.

I really wish my directions were more specific. It is like a lot of my Mother's recipes - some of this and some of that.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I love corn maque choux and have had it many times. One of the guys I once worked with went to work for Paul Prudhomme here in New Orleans and learned the recipe that was used in his restaurant. He would make it from time to time in the firehouse to go with what I'd cook for dinner as a side dish. It was very popular.

Thanks for posting it.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”