jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Dutch Oven

ACW

Nice read thanks
the care of the pan ties in with my experience with woks and frying pans.
A question regarding the smoke liquid you mention ,these are not a UK thing could you recomend a brand or brands.

applestar
Mod

Nice! I don't have one put you sure make it sound appealing. I do have cast iron skillets, and your advice is spot on.
I'm going to read through the recipes when I have a stretch of time to sit and relax. :D

Allyn
Green Thumb

I have two cast iron dutch ovens and I use them a lot. One of them is in the oven right now. One is a 3-quart and the other is a 6-quart. Mine are enameled so I can cook recipes with tomatoes in them and not have the tomato acid eat away the seasoning. My only complaint is that they're heavy. I have a little arthritis in my hands and shoulder, so lifting the 6-quart pot can be a challenge. I can handle washing it, but usually let my husband dry it because it's just too heavy for me to work with that way.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ACW wrote:Nice read thanks
the care of the pan ties in with my experience with woks and frying pans.
A question regarding the smoke liquid you mention ,these are not a UK thing could you recomend a brand or brands.

I'll sometimes use a liquid smoke and it is a product made by a company called "Figaro" and is a hickory liquid smoke. I find them very strong as they are concentrated and comes in a 4 oz. bottle. This stuff has been in production since 1904 and is a product of Baumer Foods Inc., a company near my house in New Orleans.

ACW

Gumbo,
thanks for that ,it may well end up as an ingredient at work ,will try a small sample and then maybe some of the big bottles will help international trade!

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the recipes James. Gonna add a few more later I hope. I try not to use my cast iron dutch oven because it is so heavy to move, but I do have two carbon steel woks which I have to season, clean and oil after every use just as you describe. Those I use almost every week.

xtron
Cool Member

https://www.everydaydutchoven.com/
there's a ton of great recipies here. he hasn't posted anything in a long time...hope he hasn't quit blogging.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”