applestar
Mod

Oyster Pie

DH bought a pint of shucked oysters, so I decided to try making a pie.

Found this recipe to work from:
South Jersey Oyster Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
https://allrecipes.com/recipe/206032/sou ... yster-pie/

I didn't feel like using multiple pots and containers, so used a Corningware square casserole ;)

I started with polish bacon - an unsliced slab ... trimmed of outer hard surface, then diced. This doesn't have a lot of fat so very carefully rendered with a bit of added EVOO, then added the diced onions, red sweet peppers saved in the freezer and one winter-grown 1/2 sized bell pepper allowed to ripen to fully red -- surprisingly thick walled and juicy :() ... no celery so used some frozen Kale and a big bunch of fresh parsley from the Winter Paradise shelves, garlic from last year ... starting to dry up a bit but still good. Some sea salt. Then discovered DH had used most of the heavy cream for his coffee since he ran out of his creamer. so I added 1/2 stick of Land-o-Lakes olive oil butter blend, added flour, and used non-homogenized, cream-on-top milk I use for kefir. Decided this needed some potatoes, so added a peeled red potato diced. A good amount of Old Bay. Added freshly ground nutmeg which was mentioned in another recipe. Once thickened, I tore off sections from store-bought frozen pie dough and lined the bottom corner and up the sides of the casserole while pushing the filling aside with a spoon, then added the oysters, pushed them around, and then topped with strips of more pie dough.

Since the casserole made it a deep pie, I increased the baking time to 35 minutes, but tweaked the recipe again by pouring one large egg beaten with a good splash of milk (maybe 2-3 Tbs) all over the top and baking for another 15 minutes.

It was delicious :D

webmaster
Site Admin

Wow, didn't know one could make a pie out of oysters!

Allyn
Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:Wow, didn't know one could make a pie out of oysters!
Obviously, you're not from the South. :) And if you are, not deep enough. :) Oysters and bacon with cajun seasoning in a pie crust. What's not to love?

First, you make a roux........

imafan26
Mod

Sounds great. I only have a few recipes for oysters.
Oyster Rockerfeller - I have eaten it, but it is a little dangerous unless you know where the oysters came from
Oyster chowder or stew.
Oysters in the shell on the grill with lots of garlic butter.

Now I have one more.

applestar
Mod

I'd love to hear how you end up making yours @imafan. Do you have oysters in Hawaii or are they imported from like PNW? They need to be from cold waters, right?

@Allyn I didn't specify but that step when I added the flour to melted butter was the roux step. I just didn't take the vegs and bacon out first so as not to get a 2nd container dirty. :wink:

...it's kind of funny but I've been cooking since I was 9 or 10. I had a very basic children's cookbook (still do) and making roux was one of the techniques that fascinated me. The book is illustrated with cartoon-like Mom and her two children -a boy and a girl- along the side margins, and each recipe includes tips from the Mom and one or both kids commenting on the prep or how theirs turned out. In one of the recipe's she provided formula/ratio of butter, flour and milk for roux, gravy, and something else... soup? And I was amazed by the different consistencies you get according to the amounts used.

imafan26
Mod

We do have oysters that are flown in seasonally and it is and aquaculture product that is grown here.
The funny thing is that the first oyster farm actually raised Pacific oyster hatchlings to be shipped to farms in the mainland.

https://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolul ... loa-Ranch/
https://hawaiitribune-herald.com/section ... imate.html

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Sounds great. I only have a few recipes for oysters.
Oyster Rockerfeller - I have eaten it, but it is a little dangerous unless you know where the oysters came from
Oyster chowder or stew.
Oysters in the shell on the grill with lots of garlic butter.

Now I have one more.

Here's my take on grilled oysters and it's a hit whenever I fix them. First I get a sack of fresh oysters and shuck them myself, leaving the oyster on the half shell to be grilled. I'll first take kale, chard or spinach and lightly saute it down in just a tiny bit of olive oil and after it has wilted I will drain off as much liquid as I can, even pressing it against paper towels to remove most of it. Then I chop it up and set it aside.

In the meantime I'll have butter melted in a small saucepan and add finely chopped garlic, green onions, fresh parsley and a bit of fresh lemon juice and let that cook so all the seasonings are well blended in the butter. In a shaker container I will put equal parts Italian Bread Crumbs and Parmesan Cheese.

To cook, I'll heat the grill, place the oysters on the half shell on the grill and after they have been cooking for a minute or so, I'll add some of the herb/butter mixture to every oyster, a dollop of the greens, a sprinkling of the bread crumb/parmesan mixture and then another quick drizzle of the herb/butter and let them cook until the edges of the oysters curl up.

I don't cook them till they get dried out or they will get a rubbery consistency. I've fed this to dozens of people over the years and have never had one not want more. It is one of my wife's favorite ways to eat oysters. As for me, I've never had an oyster fixed in any way that I didn't like. I really can't remember a time when I did not eat oysters. Such is the life of a S.E. Louisiana Coonass.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”