Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Enchilada Sauce Recipe.

Mexican family in Arizona gave me this recipe. This is their family recipe and it is very good. This recipe makes almost 3 cups of sauce enough for about 8 to 10 Enchiladas.

2 cups of water
4 garlic cloves sliced
1 very small onion diced = about 1/4 of a large onion.
3 tablespoons mild chili powder
I think the enchilada recipe needs to be change to say, 3 to 6 tablespoons of {mild to hot} chili powder -- according to personal taste and tolerance
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of flour
1 teaspoons of olive oil

Mix water, onion, garlic, and oil. Mix all the dry ingredients, flour, salt, oregano, cumin, chili power with a whisk then add to the water mix. Puree in the kitchen blender. Bring water to a boil stir until it becomes thick.

The flour and oil makes the sauce thick so it does not run off of the Enchiladas.

If you like spicy Enchilada sauce add crushed Red Pepper or use hotter chili powder.

If you like bright Red Sauce add Paprika. If you like Dark sauce add Hershey's Cocoa.

I am cooking my pint jars 20 minutes to store in the pantry. I decided instead of making Enchilada sauce every time we make Mexican food it will be easier to have about 10 jars of Enchilada Sauce in the pantry. The new glass top stove will not get hot enough for a pressure cooker, good thing I put the old stove in the garage it works good.

Last edited by applestar on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited the anount and description of Chili powder per OP's request.

applestar
Mod

I already thanked Gary350 by Pm, but I felt it would be appropriate to thank him here as well. :-()

I just borrowed this enchilada sauce recipe today for lunch when I made chicken enchilada casserole from leftover korean marinated bbq chicken. I used chili powder that I made, smoked paprika powder my friend made, and my own jarred salsa for what the caserol recipe called for, and added the cocoa he mentioned because it sounded like a good idea. Then added three kinds of dried beans from my garden. (I know it sounds funny but the Korean chicken was already loaded with garlic and hot peppers so the fusion worked out beautifully and my younger DD loved it. )

Thanks for posting and sharing this and other womderful recipes :D

JCL
Newly Registered

Sounds yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I will be trying this soon.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”