Seananers

homemade lemon-lime soda?

I was hoping if anybody could tell me how to make lemon lime soda out of real lemons and limes? if it is possible. :)

applestar
Mod

I imagine simplest way would be to make simple sugar syrup and mix with club soda or seltzer water. Then there's a kitchen gizmo you can buy with co2 cartridge just like a soda machine.

Another method -- Read through this thread and see what you think -- my first try to make ginger ale/beer (not really alcoholic less than 1%) turned out pretty well. I have a "cola" brewing right now. Bags of organic lemon and lime procured and waiting their turn :wink:

Subject: Cultured Probiotics - kefir, kombucha, lacto-ferments...

Seananers

I thought that that you could just juice the lemons and limes and put the juice into a carbonator and BOOM you got lemon-lime soda :lol:. I have made my own root beer from a special plant (can't remember name of the plant because I have the memory of a dang goldfish :hehe: ) so I thought that it would be cool to make some of my favorite soda that happens to be the flavor of two fruits from plants I happen to have on hand. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

Even lemonade needs some sugar or sweetener. Root beer is usually made from sarsaparilla root extract.
You need to make a simple syrup of sugar and water, heated until it the sugar is disolved, add your lemons and limes and some of the zest. Citric acid is sometimes added to boost the tang, so it is up to you. Carbonation is provided by seltzer or club soda, or carbonated water if you have a soda bar.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunn ... ecipe.html
https://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipe ... emade-soda

How about making lemonade/ limeade instead? It is healthier without the carbonation. You can garnish with lemon slices too and if you add zest to your simple sugar mix it will enhance the citrus flavor a bit more and it is mostly natural. If you use honey or stevia for the sugar it would be more natural, but the taste might be a little different. You would not need as much honey or stevia to get it sweet since both are actually sweeter than sugar. [
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paul ... ecipe.html

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Buy a 2 liter bottle of Canada Dry Ginger Ale put it on ice for 3 hours to make sure it is 32 degrees F so you can remove the cap and not loose much CO2. Add your cold lemon juice or cold lime juice to the bottle then put on the cap. Now you can drink it anytime you want just keep it in the refrigerator.

I do this with wine. Sometimes red wine and sometimes white wine. It is also good with E&J Brandy.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”