applestar
Mod

Definitely going to try making a version of "sister's stew"

I'm reading A Dance with Dragons and just came across this:
>“We have a guest to feed. Bring beer and bread and sister’s stew.” The beer was brown, the bread black, the stew a creamy white. She served it in a trencher hollowed out of a stale loaf. It was thick with leeks, carrots, barley, and turnips white and yellow, along with clams and chunks of cod and crabmeat, swimming in a stock of heavy cream and butter. It was the sort of stew that warmed a man right down to his bones, just the thing for a wet, cold night. Davos spooned it up gratefully. “You have tasted sister’s stew before?” “I have, my lord.” The same stew was served all over the Three Sisters, in every inn and tavern.

[…]

>There’s three kinds of crabs in there. Red crabs and spider crabs and conquerors.

[…]

>Though there were stranger spices than salt in this sister’s stew. “Is it saffron that I’m tasting?” Saffron was worth more than gold. Davos had only tasted it once before, when King Robert had sent a half a fish to him at a feast on Dragonstone. “Aye. From Qarth. There’s pepper too.” Lord Godric took a pinch between his thumb and forefinger and sprinkled his own trencher. “Cracked black pepper from Volantis, nothing finer.
MMMMM! Definitely going to try to make a version of Sister's Stew when the weather turns cold. Maybe "black bread" too. I love how all their food is served in trencher of stale bread. I like making no knead bread and those round loafs might be perfect.

102christa
Newly Registered

It's summer and hot, but that sounds so good right now.....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Skimming through the recipes section early in the morning and bumped back in to this.

Did you ever make this stew, applestar? :)

applestar
Mod

No, not really. Half-hearted, but didn't get to experiment to get a good recipe going. Thanks for reminding me! :D

Is this a coincidence? TV series version of TGOT is starting up again today. I finished reading the books so I'm curious to see how the writers have decided to proceed with the story.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”