applestar
Mod

I need advice about a recipe adjustment or idea

I'm trying to make jalapeno pepper jelly from the Blue Book. I was careless and didn't verify that I had all the ingredients.
I weighed out the peppers and pureed with the first cup of apple cider vinegar, then realized that the NEW bottle of apple cider vinegar I was counting on doesn't exist. :oops:

Next step is to boil with another cup of vinegar and sugar and add the pectin.

I already knew I needed white distilled vinegar and rice vinegar. Only vinegar left in the house is Balsamic.

For the time being, I've refrigerated the pureed pepper/vinegar. I'm not sure I have the energy to go shopping today. Should I finish the recipe with Balsamic vinegar or will the mixture be Ok in the fridge until tomorrow or the day after when I can go buy more vinegar?

...oh! I do have a couple of lemons...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think either way would be fine. Yes your pepper/vinegar puree will be fine in the fridge for a couple days - vinegar is a preservative. And yes, the balsamic with its touch of sweetness would be good in your jelly.

applestar
Mod

Thanks @rainbowgardener :D Thats a relief.

...One more question -- I still have time to switch recipes and add garlic -- any thoughts about difference in flavors? Anyone make both kinds and have decided one or the other is better? why?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Apple cider vinegar will sometimes make garlic turn blue. This happens only with fresh garlic so if you are using a form of dried garlic it probably won't matter.

So how did it turn out? I just realized this is almost 2 weeks old.

applestar
Mod

I just had some mixed with cream cheese and sour cream as tortilla chip dip per JayPoc. Yummy! :D

I made a couple of the jars with a clove of garlic in the bottom and a couple with tiny to small piece of of Bhut Jolokia (ghost pepper) for extra spicy, and one with both... But haven't opened those yet. I've been eating the extra that had to be put in a pint jar (ran out of smaller jars -- :roll: I'm so disorganized :oops: ) in the fridge for immediate consumption.

webmaster
Site Admin

I think it depends on the balsamic. Some balsamic has an oaky undertone to it because of aging. To me, balsamic seems like the vinegar with the most character and flavor, followed by red wine vinegar.

I would prefer any of the white colored vinegars if the purpose was to lend the food a little snap and sparkle, enhancing the flavors of the other ingredients while not adding its own signature flavor to the dish.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I would not add vinegar to jelly it will make jelly taste like vinegar.

I made spicy jelly about 30 years ago. I brought the sliced peppers to a boil in a small amount of water then turned off the heat. Let it cool with a lid. Pour water through a strainer to remove peppers and seeds. Use the spicy water to make jelly.

I made Whisky and Brandy jelly once. Brandy gives jelly a nice flavor. If your recipe makes 6 jars of jelly then add 6 tablespoons of Brandy to the recipe minus 6 tablespoons of water this gives each jar of jelly 1 spoon of brandy just enough for flavor.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”