applestar
Mod

Creamy Yellow Zucchini, Cucumber Boat and Mushroom soup

Creamy Yellow Zucchini, Cucumber Boat and Mushroom soup (with white wine and coconut milk)

...just made this up and it is super yummy :D Writing the recipe down for future reference :wink: ...

- in a heavy bottomed short pan, Sauté small diced -- 2 part red onions and 1 part white onion, a small white or yellow carrot, with large clove of garlic and green jalapeño until caramelized. Reduce heat once caramelized so as not to burn.
- Add diced Butta zucchini (two 8") removing blossom and stem ends but don't remove the tender skin. Add diced stems of mushrooms, skinned medium sized flavorful pink fleshed tomato, salt to sweat the vegs and continue to heat and simmer down. Stir to prevent burning.
- Liquid will come out of the squash, continue until translucent, then add bottom half or 6 inches x 2"d of peeled, scooped, overgrown watery cucumber, thyme, immature celery seeds. Add first half of seasoning now -- sea salt, freshly ground black pepper. Cover.
- Once cucumbers are heated through and starts to melt, add white wine and allow to meld.
- remove from heat, use immersion blender to thoroughly blend, then return to medium low. Add chicken broth -- more than you might think you want. Stir often, scraping from the bottom and sides with a flat tool like silicone or bamboo spatula. Simmer (it's not really simmer, what's the word for heat that lower than simmer?) uncovered and reduce by at least 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch.
- add full fat unsweetened coconut milk, freshly grated nutmeg, bay Laurel leaf. Juice of one lemon. Adjust salt. Add mushroom caps and simmer covered until mushrooms are cooked.

Serve with minced fresh or frozen carrot and parsley greens and a drizzle of EVOO or a tiny chunk -- maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp of butter. It was great with my 2-days old blueberry-blackberry cornbread dunked in it.

Addendum1 -- just checked the package -- these are Buna Shimeji (Beech Mushrooms) sold as clusters with 1" to 1-1/2" stems and cute mushroom gray caps in various sizes.

Addendum2 -- Got myself another serving - this time no carrot/parsley and oil garnish, but stirring in a 1 Tbs blob of creamy peanut butter. OOOOH this is yum! Wanted to use cashew butter but we don't have any. Maybe tahini will work too.)

applestar
Mod

Addendum3 -- next variation - served chilled with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and minced mint garnish. Oh yeah, this is a winner. Image

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

You are making me hungry. You even used coconut milk. At first, I was thinking that the recipe must have regular milk in it, so I would have to substitute. I'm going to have to try this recipe sometime, but I will use vege broth instead of chicken broth.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”