mulderitsme
Location: Central Valley, California, zone 9, container/patio gardening

Sourdough starter/natural yeast

Lately I've been trying to make as much as I can from scratch and I'm very interested in making my own bread.
Does anyone make their own yeast or sourdough starter? Stupid question 1: can you use this starter to make any type of "plain" or sweeter bread (like honey wheat bread or sandwich bread)? Stupid question 2: is filtered water ok or can I boil water and then let it cool?
Has anyone used anything else besides wheat berries or grapes (like potatoes or citrus)?
Has anyone dried their own yeast and stored it? If so how long will it store?

I've been trying to do some research online, but at this point in time I only have my phone and it's proving to be quite difficult to find anything in detail.
Sorry for so many questions. Thank you in advance!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A sponge the starter for sourdough is a low-no technical source of yeasts. Dried yeast is a whole laboratory away from a dough trough of starter. I don't know if I have ever heard of a home baker making dried yeast.

I would at a guess encourage you to talk to brewers-winemakers. Expect to need tools rather far afield from your kitchens resource.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have dried sourdough starters, ground them up, then frozen them, and they last for several years. I just spread them out thin on a sheet of parchment on a baking sheet, put it on something to hold it a couple inches over the griddle on my range with pilot lights under it (it would also dry on the countertop-this just speeds it up), then I grind it up when it dries.

Soursough starter can be used for sweet breads and other "non-sour" breads. The tricky thing is to make the sour breads, and get it just right - sour enough, but not too sour.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I suppose a true traditional sourdough starter is something that will actually raise bread? I make a sourdough starter (of sorts) that I add to my bread. I don't use it to raise the bread, but to get the sour flavor and give the texture that I like. I still add the traditional dried yeast that I get in bulk from the health store when making the actual bread.

The poor person's starter that I make I just got out of the old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I modify it to make it more healthy: some stone ground whole wheat flour in a bowl, add warm water, dash of salt, a small squeeze of raw organic agave nectar, and a small amount of dried baking yeast. Mix it up to a thick consistency, place somewhere at room temp. For the first few hrs, stir as it rises and wants to go over the sides of the bowl. After that for 7 to 10 days stir once or twice per day. The alcohol rises to the top and you can pour it off if you want, sometimes I don't bother. After that 10 days I put it in sealed container in fridge or add to bread right away. I have used it after it has been in there for months sometimes.

Imparts a great sour flavor to my bread, also bakes to a dark brown thick crust on the outside, while inside remains soft and chewy. (just the way I like it anyway) :)

mulderitsme
Location: Central Valley, California, zone 9, container/patio gardening

Thank you so much for all the information and recipes, everyone! I very much appreciate it! Sorry it takes me so long to respond.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”