newgardener2016

Jallepeno pepper pickling/canning

Hey all,
So this is my first time gardening and all is going ok so far. Been thinking about pickling/canning my jalapenos when ready and I been reading about low and high acid foods. So jalapenos being low acid what can I do to do it in a water-bath and not a pressure canner. From what I have been searching if I use a vinegar recipe, due to the acicidy, then I can do the water-bath method, if I'm understanding correctly about what I'm reading.

imafan26
Mod

First of all I would follow a tried and true recipe. Low acid foods need to have an acid like vinegar added to make preservation work. There are recipes available on the internet
https://allrecipes.com/recipe/221961/qui ... eno-rings/

I like my peppers fresh. What I don't use I give away and pickling is too much work and takes up too much space for me so I make pepper sauces and freeze peppers until I need them. I used to give my friend hot peppers and in exchange he made pepper sauce for me. A much better deal since his pepper sauce was a lot better than mine. These are a few of my favorite recipes but they usually use hotter peppers than jalapenos

https://simplegoodandtasty.com/2013/09/2 ... li-paste-0
https://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... taste.html
https://www.food.com/recipe/hot-pepper-jelly-58516
https://www.food.com/recipe/hot-pepper-sauce-128897

Hot chile sauce
Hot peppers (we use super chili, tabasco and thai peppers), washed, stemmed and chopped fine. Wear gloves and do this in a well ventillated place. Food processor works, but traditionally it is ground with a mortar and pestle.
Garlic - 1 head peeled and minced fine
Pack it all in a clean glass jar. ( Iusually use a 10 oz jar)
Add 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
Fill to cover peppers with fish sauce.
Label, date, and keep refrigerated until used keeps for about 3 months.
https://www.ming.com/food-and-wine/reci ... sambal.htm

Freezing and drying are a lot easier ways to store extra peppers. Frozen peppers can be thawed and added to salsa as you need them. I have a friend who really likes hot stuff. She freezes whole jalapenos and eats them as a frozen snack. Drying peppers makes them even hotter and they are also best stored in the freezer whole or ground into a powder and stored in the freezer. If they are not used in a short time the oils come out and they get rancid and freezing prevents that.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

If you pickle them, sweet or sour, they can be processed in a water bath canner.

If you want to can them without a pickling brine, then you'll need to pressure can them.

If you don't have one, pick up a copy of the Ball Blue Book of Canning!

If you are afraid of pressure canning, you shouldn't be! It opens up a whole new world of preservation! I LOVE canning, but it was pretty intimidating at first... The Blue book really has a lot of great recipes, and it takes you through them step by step. It goes over types of canning methods, and step by step instructions for using the different kinds of canners. There are thin basic versions of the book, and larger versions with LOTS of super easy recipes.

What's my favorite thing to do with Jalapeños? Jalapeño Pepper Jelly! (The recipe is on the forum here if you enter it in the search bar!)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My favorite way to pickle jalapeños is in an escabeche - a mix of pickled vegetables that is as ubiquitous in Mexican eating as Nuoc Cham is for the Vietnamese table. I will often find huge bowls of the stuff in Mexican eateries. Here is my favorite way of making it, based on an old recipe of Diana Kennedy's, back in the 80's. I add less carrots and more onions (the onions are some of the best things in this!), and often add some other peppers, though not much, as the jalapeños are the main attraction. I prefer to make just enough so that I can store a quart of it in the fridge, and maybe give away a couple pints, rather than a huge amount, which I have to do a water bath with. Last year I had an excessive number of jalapeños, so I had to do this.

ESCABECHE

1 1/2 lbs jalapeno peppers
1 lb carrots; scraped
1 lb onons; cut into 1 in. pieces
3 tb salt
1/3 cup(s) water
14 large cloves garlic
10 peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 whole cloves
16 bay leaves
3/4 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp mexican oregano
1/2 cup(s) vegetable oil
1 cup(s) cider vinegar
2 cup(s) white vinegar
1 cup(s) water
1 tsp dark brown sugar

A. Rinse and dry peppers; de-stem and cut into 3/8" slices. Slice the carrots on the diagonal into 1/8" slices. Place in a large bowl, and toss with the salt. Let sit 1 hour, while preparing remaining ing.

B. Place in a blender 5 garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp oregano, peppercorns, cumin, cloves, 10 of the bay leaves, and 1/3 c water. Blend on high speed until totally ground up. Measure out the vinegars and water and add the 8 cloves whole garlic, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme, sugar, and 6 bay leaves. Drain the chiles and carrots and add the drained juice to the vinegar mix.

C. Heat oil in a large, deep pan (I use a 14" NS wok) over med-high heat, and add the mix from the blender and the onions. Fry the mix, tossing frequently, until all the liquid is evaporated and the onions are translucent, but not browned, about 10 min. Add the vegetables and cook, tossing frequently, about 10 min. Add vinegar mix, and cook, over med-high heat still, 8 min. Transfer to sterilized jars (not totally necessary, unless storing @ room temp for a while), and seal. Store in refrigerator.

Note: Other peppers may also be used, with caution, as just a few of the hotter ones in this will make it almost inedible for most.

If these will be stored at room temp. for long before opening, process in a water bath: pint jars for 15 min, and quart jars for 25 min.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”