rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Purslane Potato Salad

I thought I had posted this here before, but I looked and looked and couldn't find it.

Purslane is a common garden weed, but very edible - tasty and nutritious.

Russian Potato Salad With Dill and Purslane

Time: 30 minutes

12 ounces whole small fingerling potatoes
3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, or as needed
3 tablespoons Greek or other thick yogurt, or Lebanese laban or sour cream
1 to 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon brined or rinsed salt-cured capers
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice, or as needed
1½ to 2 cups purslane with tender stems, cut into 1- to 2-inch lengths, or ¾ cup purslane leaves.

1. Place potatoes in cold water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain well.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, dill, scallions and capers. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.

3. Slice potatoes thickly, removing as much skin as easily comes off, leaving on a little for texture and ease of slicing. Add potatoes to mixing bowl, and toss gently to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add purslane, fold together with potatoes, and serve.

I add celery and/ or green peppers for crunch. You could pretty much use your favorite potato salad recipe and just add purslane to it.

I am making this for a company dinner tonight! Always like to introduce people to the joys of eating weeds! :)

Asica

Thank you. I have been looking for this weed, I always seen it until I learned it is edible and now it is nowhere to be found.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I think I could eat weeds.
Flowers would be fun.
But not bugs.
Or slugs.
I sent a small jar of 'Slug Butter' to my relatives in Wyoming. I found it at a gift shop in Seattle. ( people like to make jokes about all the rain that Seattle gets. rain = slugs ) I guess the kids got a kick out of the Slug Butter. It's really just apple butter with a slug lable. I'm veering a little off course here. :>

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I told the resident man that I want to try it and was quickly shut down, hahaha!

Birdlover, I was seriously like :shock: :shock: :shock: when you mentioned slug butter! Until I finished reading it! :roll: :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"I told the resident man that I want to try it and was quickly shut down," You should try it anyway! :) He doesn't have to, but if you like it, then he might get tempted. It turned out really good and even better as leftovers the second day, after the flavors had all "married."

applestar
Mod

Make the thing and serve it. No need to tell him what's in it. LOL

...I haven't been able to find as many either. Maybe it's too early? But they were REALLY getting infested by leaf miners for a couple of years, so somehow, I could have lost them. GASP! I might have to BUY seeds. (I actually might *have* a packet of "golden" purslane. :-()

imafan26
Mod

For a while purslane was a thing, but it is still a weed that pops up now and then.
If you are going to eat the weeds and flowers
Dandelions
wild amranth
wax begonia
marigold. t. lucida, t. minuta
chickweed
burdock
chicory
bull thistle
broadleaf plantain
fleabane
elderberry
pansy and viola
chammomile
henbit
lambs quarters
kudzu
lavender
rose
tulip
cornflower
dianthus
scented geraniums
primrose
shingiku (edible chrisanthemum)
Queen Anne's Lace
red clover
Sheep sorrel
nasturtiums
hemerocallis fulva (daylily flowers)
edible hibiscus

While not weeds these can get wild
sweet potato leaves
NZ spinach
bamboo shoots
bean, pea, squash shoots
bitter melon
mustard cabbage

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82:
Here are some pictures of the Slug Butters. You can get them at the 'Made in Washington' shop in Seattle and the 'Pacific Northwest Shop' in Tacoma. Tourists love them. They also sell cute little fake slugs carved out of wood.
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.71 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (15.39 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
They are expensive but they are so fun it's worth it. I keep a jar around and use it as a joke for when kids are around. "We are having toast with slug butter. Would you like some?"

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Yeah! Big Kid would absolutely think that hilarious!

Gonna go search for weeds!

We have quite a bit of edible weeds here I. This hard. I'm sure most of them are reaching bitter stages though. Lots of plantain and dandies. I know I've see quite a bit of the purslane here, but I don't recall seeing it recently. Definitely not too early!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

So.........
I looked at my house today, and my mom's house. I searched pretty thoroughly! Nothing!!!!

So I went and researched, aaaaand...

It likes freshly turned or tilled rich soil. Bare dirt, which makes sense why I used to see it all over my garde, and also explains why I don't see it now. My lawn is so nutrient deficient! But, I do literally nothing to it but cut the weeds.... And my garden is non-tilled, or turned. Except for the new corn bed. It's tilled.

It's been fairly dry. Wondering if that has anything to do with it. Having said that, I've grown a different variety of portulaca called desert rose, and it can be grown in small pots that I pretty much neglected....

applestar
Mod

Today, I found a whole bunch of recently sprouted purslane seedlings in different parts of the garden. :D

So I'm thinking it WAS too early, or I turned over and turned up some seeds when I hoed... Or they were just waiting for a good soaking rain.

It's just as well since my potato plants are just starting to show flower buds and are not ready yet either. :wink:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

My potatoes are still working up! I was hoping to see purslane pop up in the corn beds! But still nothing! (Except crabgrass!!! :( )

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

This what I think it is?

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”