cass2828

Indian recipes!!!

Hi, I am from India, South India actually here in India we have some amazing spices and recipies if any body would like to know about them or how to make them I am much obliged to ask my mother and tell you...

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

(Here, this is better. I fixed the typos.)
I love Indian food. I made an Indian recipe from scratch once. I found a recipe book at the library. The recipe had lots of spices. It turned out great. Indian is my favorite. I read about the fascinating history of Indian recipe development. Many years were devoted to fine tuning the spices. That's why the recipes are so good. The spice combinations are perfect. Indian cuisine has so many fantastic vegan recipes. I would like to write a recipe book someday. I don't have time to do that now, but hope to some day. There will be many Indian recipes in my recipe book.

cass2828

cool,birdlover.... yeah Indian is my favourite... but I would also like to learn some western recipies...

imafan26
Mod

I'd like to get more recipes to use with the petch type eggplant and Indian curry tree (Murraya koenigii) aka: kare padee, sinhala. I am growing them but only have a couple of recipes.

I would also like to learn how to make samosas and raita

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Indian food is one of my favorite cuisines, esp. the foods of the southern and S western regions. I make all of my own masalas, and I even have a curry tree, which I have to grow in a pot, and bring it in for the cold months. I'm always looking for new recipes, and also any interesting ingredkents to grow. Looking forward to hearing from you!

cass2828

I can share how to make raita..imfan

cass2828

others I will ask my mother...

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yes please do! I love Indian food too :)
And even more if its spicy

cass2828

Guys,I will surely share it after I get he from school...bye going to school

cass2828

one tip: we use cilantro seeds as a spice., grind it and use it with chilli powder..

cass2828

RAITA recipe

Cucumber raita...INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
1 medium sized cucumber, or 1 cup finely chopped cucumber
1 cup fresh curd/dahi/yogurt
½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder, optional
1 tsp roasted cumin powder/bhuna jeera powder
½ tsp chaat masala powder
salt as required, can use rock salt, black salt or regular salt
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves or ½ tbsp chopped mint leaves
INSTRUCTIONS
rinse the cucumber. then peel the cucumber and finely chop it. you can also grate the cucumber.
in a bowl, beat the curd till smooth.
add the grated cucumber to the curd.
add all the dry spice powders, rock salt or black salt and coriander leaves.
mix well and serve cucumber raita.
you could even garnish the cucumber raita with some coriander leaves or mint leaves.

hope you like it...is is a cooling dish... you can also double or triple the recipe...

cass2828

CHAT MASALA

it's a popular Indian MASALA(blend of spices) with a tangy flavour....
Ingredients
1/4 cup cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tbsp black peppercorns (kalimirch)
1/4 cup dried mango powder (amchur)
2 tbsp black salt (sanchal)
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
Instructions
Put the cumin seeds in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 1 minute. Transfer them on a plate and keep aside to cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
Combine the roasted cumin seeds and black peppercorns in a small jar of a mixer and blend to a smooth and fine powder.
Sieve the powder using a sieve and discard the little coarse mixture left behind in the sieve.
Add the dried mango powder, black salt, salt and asafoetida and mix well using your fingertips for 1 to 2 minutes.
Store refrigerated or at room temperature in an air-tight container.

PinkPetalPolygon

I would love any stew or soup recipes your mother! (I like it spicy too.) The recipes you've already posted look wonderful. Thank you for sharing them!

recently I realized the restaurant where I buy my falafel sandwiches also sells all the spices in the world. that store has everything I've ever heard of but haven't seen: I think I could get anything I could need in the spice department. it is exciting. :)

(I have seen and heard of and even used quite a few spices so to walk into a store and see "everything you've ever heard of but never actually seen for sale" was truly exciting to be honest! I actually left without anything new because I didn't know where to start, hah! there were like 20 new things. When I read the recipes you posted with spices I've never used, I knew where to go and it was a good feeling.)

PinkPetalPolygon

And of course that should read/say:

"I would love any stew or soup recipes FROM your mother!"

:oops: :-()

cass2828

OK....I will post them soon

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Thank you Cass2828! I will try these recipes!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Thank you very much for the recipes. I am looking forward to trying them. It is very nice of you and your mother to share your recipes with us.

cass2828

No problem guys...my pleasure

cass2828

Southindian chicken soup

Ingredients:
200 gm Chicken
1 tsp. Black Pepper Corns
1/2 tsp. Cumin Seeds (Jeeragam/Zeera)
1/4 tsp. Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp. Coriander Powder (Dhaniya/Malli Thool)
1/2 tsp. Ginger Garlic paste
1/4 cup Tomato (chopped)
1/4 cup Freshly Chopped Cilantro (Coriander leaves/Malli chedi)
7 Curry Leaves
2 tsp. Sesame oil (Gingely oil/Nallennai)
1 cup Water
1/2 tsp Salt (Adjust to your taste)
*** To Clean the Chicken ***
1/4 tsp. Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. Sesame Oil (Gingely Oil/Nallennai)

Step 1.
Wash and chop the tomato. Wash and chop the coriander leaves. Wash the curry leaves. Clean the chicken well with water. [Once I drain the water, I apply 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder and little (say 1/2 tsp.) sesame oil (gingely oil/Nallennai) and mix well. Then I clean it once more with water. This way you can remove little of the raw chicken smell.].
chicken-soup-to-cure-cold-1

Step 2. (Optional)
For soup recipes, it's good to use boneless pieces of chicken. Cut them into bite size pieces. Keep aside. [Normally at home we just put the medium sized chicken pieces (with bones) for making soup.You can carry on this step for presentation purposes or when you're serving the chicken soup for kids.]
best-chicken-soup-1 south-indian-chicken-soup-recipe-1

Step 3.
In a blender/mixie, add the black pepper corns and cumin seeds (jeeragam/zeera).
tamilnadu-chicken-soup-recipe-1

Step 4.
Close the blender and grind it little coarsely.
how-to-make-chicken-soup-1

Step 5.
In a pressure cooker, add the cut chicken pieces, turmeric powder, freshly ground black pepper corn and cumin seeds, sesame oil (gingely oil/nallennai) curry leaves, little of the freshly chopped coriander leaves (cilantro/kotthamalli), ginger garlic paste(optional), coriander powder (dhaniya/malli thool) and tomato.
chicken-soup-step-by-step-pictures-1

Step 6.
Add required water and salt. Mix well. Check salt. Close the lid with the whistle. Keep it on the stove in High flame.
kozhi-soop-soup-recipe-1

Step 7.
Pressure cook for 1 whistle and turn flame to LOW (sim). Switch off the stove after 10 minutes.images-to-make-chicken-soup

Step 8.
Once the pressure subsides by itself (takes 5 minutes), open the lid. Add the remaining freshly chopped cilantro (coriander leaves). Check salt and pepper. Mix well and divide it in two soup bowls..

Hope you like it! :P

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

To Cass2828: I very much appreciate these recipes that you and your mother sent to us from India. I am excited and want to try them soon. I will first try ground cilantro seed with chille powder. I have never tried ground cilantro seeds before, only the cilantro greens. I am sure that I will love all of the revipes, but the sauce with the mango powder sounds especially good. Please tell your mother THANK YOU!
Now I want to look on a map to see where Chennai India is precisely.
I am trying to eat mostly health food, and what I eat is mostly vegan. Mango recipes are my favorite. Have you ever had Mango Soup?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I love India food. I am not having good luck finding good recipes online most do not turn out good. I have trouble finding the spices too. I don't know the proper way to cook these recipes either so they do not turn out good either. I could use some good recipes with instructions how to cook them.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Gary,

I didn't used to be too fond of Indian food, mainly because of the raw cinnamon and/or clove flavor in much of the food in restaurants, as well as store-bought garam masala. I started growing curry leaves to use in Malaysian foods, which have a lot of Indian influence, and many of the recipes had toasted spices, like the Thai dishes I had made for years. This takes that "raw" flavor out of them, and makes many of the spice mixes (masalas) delicious, and unlike the store-bought stuff (as usual, when making things at home!). The first Indian CB that I got, that I really liked, was Mangoes and Curry Leaves, which I got because I liked the other books of that couple ( Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid), and the garam masala was delicious, with every spice toasted. Later I got two more books, even better, IMO - How to Cook Indian (by Sanjeev Kapoor), and 660 Curries, by Raghavan Iyer. 660 Curries is the best "teaching" book, in which he explains how to prepare the masalas, some with untoasted spices, some all toasted, and some with only a few of the spices toasted. He also tells how to do basic things in every recipe, so you don't have to go back to the beginning for every one (many authors tell you once in the beginning, and leave it at that - you know how I mean!). I have found some of my favorite masalas in this book, as well as the best method for toasting the spices - heat the pan over a med-high flame until well heated, then put the spices in and toss for 1-1 1/2 min. If you start with a cold pan, you won't really know how long it will take, as they are starting out cold. I have a Freanch style skillet (one with steeper sides than the normal ones) which I use almost exclusively for this!

If you want to see a tutorial on cooking Indian, check out Healthful Indian Flavors with Alamelu, on youtube.

I got some good ideas on the setup - the French term for this is Mise en Place - as I have a large number of those SS containers she uses to measure out the spices in, since I use them for soaking seeds in! Simply put, you simply measure out the spices - if any are added at the same time during the cooking you just put them in the same container - and have them ready when cooking. Indian food is actually faster to prepare, for the most part, than Chinese or SE Asian, in my experience, though you have to have those spice mixes made up, as well as all of those countless spices!

The best online source for ingredients, that I have found, is Patel Brothers.
https://store.patelbros.com/ However, there are many online sources.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the recipes.

I love samosa with raita.

cass2828

Want some more??

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Always looking for more! Thanks!

cass2828

Will post them soon..

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The local India restaurant has 3 very good chicken dishes on the buffet, 1 is mango chicken the other is ????? and the next one is ?????. 2 of these have gravy one is orange color the other is yellow color and one is spicy. The other one looks like baked chicken rubber with something red color.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”