Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Has anyone made Energy Bars

I want to make energy bars for camping, hiking, bicycling, kayaking, flea market exploring, etc. . Has anyone made energy bars?

After looking at several YouTube videos I think I will melt semi sweet chocolate and use it as the binder then add chopped nuts, currents and granola cereal.

Energy bars with chocolate are hard to find in the store maybe it is because they melt so easy.

I am looking for ideas?

Allyn
Green Thumb

My husband is a commercial fisherman and I send him off on the boat with my homemade energy bars. I don't use chocolate because it melts and it's too messy on the boat. I don't like store-bought bars because they have too much salt and refined sugar. This is the recipe I use:

2 eggs
2 bananas, mashed (3 if they're small)
1/3 cup pure maple syrup (real maple syrup, not pancake syrup or some corn-syrup based product)**
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1 cup unsalted chopped nuts and/or seeds (I use 1/2 cup each unsalted sunflower seeds and chopped walnuts)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup nonfat dried milk powder (don't reconstitute it)
1 1/2 cups of chopped dried fruit (I use 1/2 cup each of three different fruits. He likes apricots, cherries and raisins.)
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or cake flour if that's all I have)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish (or a muffin tin).

Mix the wet ingredients together and then add the dry ingredients. Mix until everything is combined and then spread in the pan (or fill the muffin cups).

Bake for 20 minutes (12 for muffins). Allow to cool. Cut the bars into 9 pieces and wrap individually (or just wrap the muffins).

**I didn't have maple syrup once and I substituted honey. He said the bars were okay, but he liked the maple syrup ones better. I didn't have enough maple syrup once and I topped off the 1/3-cup with light molasses. I haven't tried doing a batch with just light molasses.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Rawbars are easily made with a base of dates and nuts, blend togheter with whatever you feel like. Cinnamon and apples is nice it reminds me of apple pie. Berries and vanilla is another good flavor, and living with a mexican chili and lime must not be forgotten.

You can try find a good blend used with cacao to get your bars with chockolate taste, and they wont melt.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”