applestar
Mod

Re: BREAD, post Photos and Recipes here.

I had a banana that turned while we weren’t looking so I had to make banana muffins this morning. No recipe, just bit of this and bit of that — the soft mushy banana, 2 eggs, oatmilk margarine and cane sugar, beaten well — rice milk, spelt flour, baking soda and baking powder … cinnamon, nutmeg and ground vanilla, and added a splash of something called something like honey rose tonic (beverage made with goji berries and herbs among other ingredients) for extra “something”, pulled out some clumped together dried berries from a trail mix to chop up because they were getting in the way, and added chocolate covered peanuts just because. Fiddled with the toaster oven controls and put in the mini muffin and regular muffin pans after preheating. took them out when browned on top and looked done.

Anyway they turned out really yummy. Warned family to enjoy because “I won’t be able to make exactly the same thing again” — a standard note that comes with most of what I make :>

No point in taking pics — just brown muffins with bits inside. :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I saw a yummy picture of a cinnamon roll so I wanted 1. 12 noon I got out 2 bowls to make bread also. Oh no we only have All Purpose flour. 3 cups of flour in each bowl, yeast, salt, water, mix. Stir well return 1 hour later to kneed. Return 1 hour later to kneed again. I decided to make a long bread loaf to fit the grocery store plastic bread rapper that I saved. I pressed the other dough down flat then stretch and pull sides and corners to get 24" square. Spread filling over dough, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, roll up and cut into 12 pieces. Place cinnamon rolls in a greased pan and bread dough on a greased pan. 1 hour later they are not rising. I set them both in a warm place 1 hour later they still look like they have not risen much. Bake them anyway at 350° and 25 minutes later they both tripled in size. They are not golden brown so I turned heat up to 425° and 5 minutes later they are plenty brown. Hot bread gets butter topping and rolls get butter sugar topping. Now they need to cool a while. They both taste very good.
Attachments
368268496_850338066461423_8012940718240712748_n.jpg
100_8529.JPG
100_8532.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I sliced bread this morning for breakfast. All Purpose flour makes better bread than bread flour. I'm not buying anymore Bread flour.
Attachments
100_8535.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

And another one! This time a little larger one, in the clay pot.
ImageA 43 oz loaf of rye/whole wheat bread, ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked loaf of rye/whole wheat bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

I wish I could make more bread. I am improving my skills. I still can't finish it all and unless I make a fruit bread like apple or banana, it gets really hard the next day.
I came across this recipe for
ONE banana bread.
¼ cup all-purpose flour
▢¼ teaspoon baking soda
▢¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
▢⅛ teaspoon salt
▢1 medium banana , mashed
▢2 tablespoons sugar
▢1 tablespoon salted butter , melted (plus more for greasing the ramekin)
▢1 large egg yolk
▢½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions
Heat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and lightly grease a 10-ounce ramekin. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together. Set aside.
Mash the banana with a fork and add to a medium-sized bowl.
Add the sugar and with an electric mixer or a wire whisk whip the banana and sugar together.
Add the melted butter, the egg yolk, and the vanilla; mix well.
Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Pour into the ramekin and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and cool slightly before eating.

I really don't need a mixer for such a small quantity, but this is a good way to use up that last banana and make a bread for one or two servings.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

imafan, To help the bread stay moist, add a little oil to them - I add about 2 tb olive oil to a 2 lb loaf, or about 3½-4 c flour. And if using all, or almost all whole grain flours, let most of it sit 10 or 15 minutes after the initial mixing, to absorb the water before kneading, and leave it slightly sticky.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that the next time.

imafan26
Mod

I got a question. I want to make cinnamon toast chips with a baguette. I used to be able to buy these but I haven't found them. How do I make and store them so they will stay crispy for a few days at least? Normally, I want bread to be soft but it becomes a rock the next day, but these snacks get soft instead.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:58 pm
I got a question. I want to make cinnamon toast chips with a baguette. I used to be able to buy these but I haven't found them. How do I make and store them so they will stay crispy for a few days at least? Normally, I want bread to be soft but it becomes a rock the next day, but these snacks get soft instead.
YouTube videos show oil is used in bread to keep it soft and butter is used in pastry to keep it soft. Eggs and milk also keep bread and pastry soft. I wrap bread up inside a plastic bag and keep it in the refrigerator other wise room temperature bread starts to turn green in 3 or 4 days.

applestar
Mod

@imafan, I think one very important precaution is to make sure the chips are completely cooled before putting them in airtight containers. The problem is that can absorb moisture from the air while you wait for them to cool.

I suppose low temperature air fryer, food dehydrator, and/or putting them in front of a fan might be ways to keep them crisp(er)?

Lining the container with paper towels and changing them periodically help. Making a white rice bag might help, too. You need things to take on any extra moisture to keep the chips from absorbing. I wonder if you need special containers that hold desiccant packets in the lid?

I do think ingredients matter, too. I agree bread that doesn’t use oils or eggs are more dry. Dairy, honey, other forms of sugar are also used to make more moist bread.

imafan26
Mod

The humidity is a problem. That is why I dry peppers in the car in the full sun. Trying to air dry them is problematic because of the humidity and a brief rain shower could still randomly pop up. The fan is a good idea. I don't usually use cooling racks, so I just bought some today. I could try putting some rice in the storage container as a desiccant. I have never tried that. I have desiccants, but I have to find my sealer. Once I open the bag, I have to reseal it again so the other desiccants don't start absorbing moisture.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made cinnamon rolls again. I had to watch a video to get this right this time. I has been 30+ years or longer since I learned to make Cinnamon rolls at, Inner Harbor Boston, Mass.

Dough is 3 cups of flour, 1 tsp salt, ¼ cup sugar, 1 T cinnamon, 1/2 stick of butter. Stirs then raise dough 1 hour then make a 24" square. Melt 1 stick of butter spread of over the dough. Mix 1 C dark brown sugar with 1/4 C cinnamon spread it over the dough. Roll up dough into a 24" long log cut into 12 pieces 2" long each. The important part is to leave a 1" space between all the cinnamon rolls so they have room to rise. When rolls rise large enough they all touch each other that get taller too bake them at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown on top.

Frosting is melted butter mixed with enough power sugar to make a thin easy to spread frosting.
Attachments
100_8560.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today I made another loaf of rye bread - something I'll pair with that braunschweiger, in these next few days of even hotter weather we're supposed to have. I started it early today, with a small rye sponge, then I made a version of my Russian black bread, using some buttermilk as the liquid, instead of a tb of vinegar with water, and I used WW flour, instead of white flour, with the bran. Otherwise, everything else pretty much the same, and I just made a single, 2 lb loaf. And, ohhhh that smells good baking, as always! I didn't run out of caraway, but came close, and I have another lb of seeds coming tomorrow! That's one spice that they don't have in the Indian market - what they sometimes have labeled "caraway", is actually another seed - shah jeerah - so I have to order regular caraway.
ImageSingle Russian black bread loaf, almost ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished loaf of Russian black bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday, early on, I made a new batch of buttermilk, and had some milk and old buttermilk left (always have that from the 1/2 gal), so I made some rye bread - another potato rye. Not what I usually use for the liquid, but it works well! Started with a sponge with the BM and rye, in between garden jobs, and later I continued with it, and even later, finished the bread, in between separating all that garlic! With about 60:40 of WW to rye flour, I put 1 1/2 c mashed potatoes in this, and 1/4 c gluten, which made it very moist and it rose very well, for so much rye. More dough than my usual 4 lbs, so I used the 2 lb pan and the clay pan, for about a 43 oz loaf, which went into the freezer. The other, for more sandwiches.
ImagePotato Rye bread, starting to bake. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImagePotato Rye bread, finished and cooling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

I bought an Instant Pot Ultra recently, and have been experimenting — Water Test, Hardboiled eggs, then big sweet potatoes and “baked” (steamed) big potatoes that cooked up lovely and quick.

The reason I started with above background is that I ended up with a lot of baking potato steaming water that just BEGGED to be used for enriching bread dough, so ….

A basic artisanal yeast bread made with the potato water and bits of cooked potato that fell in (they were so tender that their jackets just pulled off when gripped with silicone tongs to get them out)… All purpose, bread flour, whole wheat, and whole spelt flour combo with brown rice flour on hands while kneading/shaping (approx 450g total) … subbing for honey with molasses … 12g sea salt and 12g instant yeast … added pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and because I miscalculated the liquid to flour ratio (I added a bit of water from rinsing the vitamix pitcher after making rice/cashew milk yogurt mixture) and the dough was loose and sticky, approx. 2 Tbs. evoo in addition to the initial 45g to take the dough for shaping. Low temperature bake at 190°C for longer time. (covered for first 20, then uncovered … about 45 minutes total.)
665F6B11-69E2-4410-A441-BDEDD907448E.jpeg
It’s really good. Had a toasted slice with cinnamon/raisin non-dairy (cashew) cream cheese and some butter for breakfast with one of the hardboiled eggs and a rice milk/cashew milk non-dairy “drinking” yogurt (Actually failed yogurt that didn’t set :>. It’s smooth, tangy and sweet and yummy though — I’ll get it right eventually :wink: )

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Looks good, apple! I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of that IP! I use it all the time for grains and legumes, but other things, as well. That's good you used the potato water, and that rinsing water, from the Vitamix - I do that all the time with sauces. Don't like to waste anything!

applestar
Mod

The POSSIBILITIES, right? I’m waiting on extra silicone rings and a couple of other accessories that should arrive by Tuesday, then … watch out! LOL

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had the last of that leftover mushroom soup today, and later on, I made a banana bread, with some old bananas, some WW flour, some raisins, walnuts, oats, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, plus some vanilla extract and some coconut flavor. The liquid in it was some yogurt, and 2 eggs, and some of the bananas, and the oil I used was some coconut oil. It smells soooooo good, but I have to wait, to cut...
ImageBanana Oat bread, with some raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Update - I just sliced it, and it's absolutely delicious!
ImageSliced banana oat bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

More potato rye bread, just one loaf this time. Good day to bake, as it's a little cooler today, and will be warmer tomorrow, for sandwiches.
ImagePotato rye dough, ready to rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRye dough, almost ready to bake, waiting for oven to heat. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImagePotato Rye bread, cooling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

I made 3 mini banana bread loaves. The bananas were very ripe, so I cut a 1/4 cup of the sugar. I am hoping I did not cut too much. I hardly use real sugar, as I use truvia instead for most things. I find things that have real sugar too sweet.

They are in the freezer now. Mini loaves are a better size for me.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

More rye bread! I had to use the last 1¼ c of rye flour, so I'll have to grind some more. I only made one loaf again, as my freezer is getting packed, with all that butter for the cookies! I made it with a cup of mashed potato, plus some WW flour, and only a third or a half cup of unbleached, for when it was moist at the end. I also used about 10 oz of yogurt in the end of a jar - something I don't use often, but gave it that tang that buttermilk usually gives. The overnight sponge helps that, too.
ImageMore rye bread - I have to grind more rye flour now! Probably outside tomorrow, so the dust will stay out. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

I had two bananas that had gone all spotty, and during the summer, ones like these would peel the softened skins themselves during the night and threaten to fall off the banana hanger. The flesh could be mushy and dark by then.

So I hurried to get up and make banana bread early this morning… But even though the stems had shriveled black and dry, the skin had also dried into tough leathery condition, and the flesh underneath were firm.

They were destined for banana bread, however. :twisted:

Today, I used the “whole wheat banana bread” recipe in the vitamix manual as reference, but it seemed silly to dirty the vitamix for this, so I just put everything in a single mixing bowl and used a double-eye bread dough whisk.

I used my oatmeal-cashew kefir instead of milk, and added an extra egg to compensate for the reduced protein. I also used mixture of white whole wheat and whole wheat flours, and added the last three ripe figs, half of an apple that was bruised on the other side, and some leftover few raisins. Also added some of my ripe fig extract along with the vanilla extract called for….

What else? Oh — I couldn’t find walnuts (maybe I used them up) so I used last of pecans and some macadamia nuts… and I just bought some Lakanto monk fruit sweetened chocolate chips, so added some of that as well… THEN, this was the part I particularly wanted to try — added juice squeezed from 2 flying dragon fruits. :()
23FFB6F3-5E1F-49A7-9816-4DD385C95206.jpeg
I also drizzled some flying dragon icing on one half of the loaf.

We found out that if I make these in the smaller glass pyrex loaf pan, they fit perfectly in the clear clamshell container (that storebought banana and pumpkin breads come in) for easy keeping.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I ground that rye flour outside today! And it is a little dusty.
ImageJust over 5 more lbs of rye flour, ready to make more bread with! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:50 pm
I had two bananas that had gone all spotty, and during the summer, ones like these would peel the softened skins themselves during the night and threaten to fall off the banana hanger. The flesh could be mushy and dark by then.

So I hurried to get up and make banana bread early this morning… But even though the stems had shriveled black and dry, the skin had also dried into tough leathery condition, and the flesh underneath were firm.

They were destined for banana bread, however. :twisted:

Today, I used the “whole wheat banana bread” recipe in the vitamix manual as reference, but it seemed silly to dirty the vitamix for this, so I just put everything in a single mixing bowl and used a double-eye bread dough whisk.

I used my oatmeal-cashew kefir instead of milk, and added an extra egg to compensate for the reduced protein. I also used mixture of white whole wheat and whole wheat flours, and added the last three ripe figs, half of an apple that was bruised on the other side, and some leftover few raisins. Also added some of my ripe fig extract along with the vanilla extract called for….

What else? Oh — I couldn’t find walnuts (maybe I used them up) so I used last of pecans and some macadamia nuts… and I just bought some Lakanto monk fruit sweetened chocolate chips, so added some of that as well… THEN, this was the part I particularly wanted to try — added juice squeezed from 2 flying dragon fruits. :()

23FFB6F3-5E1F-49A7-9816-4DD385C95206.jpeg

I also drizzled some flying dragon icing on one half of the loaf.

We found out that if I make these in the smaller glass pyrex loaf pan, they fit perfectly in the clear clamshell container (that storebought banana and pumpkin breads come in) for easy keeping.
Wow that banana bread looks good. I am trying to keep my cholesterol low. Wife can eat anything and her cholesterol stays low. If I am in the same room with food my cholesterol gets higher. My next blood work is in 2 weeks. I can't take statin meds for cholesterol anymore I had a allergic reaction to it an spend 2 days in the hospital. Some where I have a banana bread recipe the bananas have to turn into black mush, I need to buy bananas about 2 weeks before making banana bread.

applestar
Mod

Used the leftover Potato Butternut Squash soup to make —

Sweet “Pumpkin” Loaf — added eggs beaten with sunflower oil, dark brown sugar, my fig extract, cornmeal and Spelt flour, baking powder, green hulless pepitos, roasted shelled chestnuts that come in a bag. Baked in smaller Pyrex glass loaf pan.m and buttered on top while hot.
017EB822-9A4C-445A-9A86-99DF1F52931C.jpeg
And

Instant Yeast butter roll loaf — yeast proofed in warm rice milk and molasses, then added corn meal, whole wheat and spelt flours. Kneaded and proofed with sunflower oil, then divided into 3 portions and rolled softened butter up in them in two directions. Then shaped and arranged in large metal loaf pan to proof and bake.

Used “roast” setting to bake and then brushed top with 1 egg yolk separated from the eggs used in the sweet loaf and baked for another 10 minutes.
F4D0FCD1-1400-4F20-B1A7-8ADA6B26BF01.jpeg
— ETA ——

Just got the chance to slice and try the 2nd bread. Moist spongy but sturdy crumb like potato bread/rolls with the whole wheat heartiness and flavor. This will be great sandwich bread.
Attachments
406D892C-8846-4290-BCF8-D59ADC29CCEB.jpeg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a loaf of banana bread today, with 4 very ripe bananas, and a stick of butter, browned, and WW flour, in a slightly smaller amount, instead of white flour. Since it was baked in the convection oven, it was on 300°, so the sugar the dough was topped with was still white, after it was cooked to 208-210°, so I caramelized the sugar with my propane torch! Ohhhh that smells good!

I did sample it just now, and it is delicious!
ImageBanana bread, made with browned butter, and some cardamom, cinnamon, and allspice powders, and some roasted walnuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Before making the bread, I lightly roasted 2 lbs of chopped walnuts, I took from the freezer yesterday, and used some of those for this. I had to get started for those Christmas cookies!

applestar
Mod

OK OK this might be bread or cake. We’re calling it a cake, but it’s inspired by the usual sweet loaf recipe.

Raw carrots puréed in “dry” vitamix along with a bit of oatmeal, mixed with beaten egg and sugars, sea salt, and melted butter. Combined with whole wheat and white whole wheat flours, baking powder, vanilla, sunflower seeds. chopped walnuts, chopped dried apricots and prunes, lakanto sweetened chocolate chips, and juice of 2 smallish Flying Dragon trifoliate oranges. Consistency adjusted with a bit of rice milk.

Baked in parchment-lined smaller pyrex glass loaf pan.

Cooked then glazed with confectioner’s sugar + sour cream + 1 flying dragon juice. Pumpkin spice mix.

Decorated with pressure steamed Stokes purple sweet potato pressed through medium mesh and whipped with coconut cream and granulated sugar.

So yum!
Attachments
Keeping extra Mont Blanc sweet potato cream left in piping bag to put on leftovers like this
Keeping extra Mont Blanc sweet potato cream left in piping bag to put on leftovers like this
A7E10EF5-AA75-4334-933D-B8629C05CBBA.jpeg
Last edited by applestar on Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added another picture — decorated leftover slice

applestar
Mod

BTW — this isn’t bread but — it turned out that the other half of the purple sweet potato that hadn’t been screened, was delicious when simply puréed with a hand blender, skin and all, with some sugar and remaining coconut cream into a whipped spread.

We thought it particularly went well served with raw apple wedges.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Another loaf of rye bread, just over 2 lbs. Started this one last night, and I let it rise all the way to evening, and just finished it 5 min. before midnight.

ImageAnother rye bread, just an oversight one this time. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had some ripe bananas again that I had to use up, so I used one in a smoothie, and the other 3 in a banana bread. Here is the recipe. I added a little coconut flavor, which makes it even better, but of course, the chocolate is what makes it:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-I ... ad-recipe/

And here is the bread:

ImageDeath by chocolate banana bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDeath by chocolate banana bread slice. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

OMG is that stuff good!!! And gooey! I'll probably refrigerate it, to make it easier to slice, like my most gooey brownies.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I baked a loaf of potato WW/rye bread today, in between making the cookie dough, which I started with a sponge last night.

ImageA loaf of potato WW rye bread, made while making some more logs of cookie dough today. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Another loaf of potato rye, which I started a couple days ago. I don't like to make those usual dishes I make, loaded with onions, garlic, and spices when I'm preparing those cookies, since the aromas can permeate, and sandwiches are something good to have around, along with some greens around, along with some fruits. As soon as the cookies are out of the way, I can get back to my usual cooking.
ImageAnother loaf of potato rye, this loaf a larger one in that clay pan. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

That’s what you might call a “cookie diet”. LOL :lol:

…I almost didn’t post this, but I made another “throw ingredients together” loaf/cake — this time with a basket of shriveled up mandarin oranges and one naval orange — they had dried in the fruit basket to the point where nobody wanted to eat them fresh anymore.

I washed them whole and soaked them in a bowl of water for a few hours until the peels absorbed the water and started to fill out somewhat. Then cut a few slots in the peel to let the water inside and soaked another 30 minutes.

After that, I combined a basic batter mixture of butter/coconut oil, cane sugar and dark brown sugar, egg, vegan sour cream, cointreau. Added whole white wheat and cake flours, baking powder, salt. Added peeled and segmented mandarins with their inner sacks and knife peeled and sectioned naval orange removing the inner sacks and squeezing the juice, plus some white chocolate chips.

…I made a fatal mistake — temp was too high and top had started to scorch before entire time was up, THEN in a moment of brain fog and rare panic, I <tried to> lift the cake out of the pyrex glass loaf pan thinking to remove from heat ….

If you done this for any number of times, you know you’re supposed to wait 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan when they are finished baking. It’s a complete disaster when you do this WITHOUT bothering to test with a bamboo skewer first.

I watched the cake fall apart as I lifted, revealing that the interior was still liquid.

Luckily everything fell back into the loaf. Unfortunately, I’d pulled the parchment paper liner almost entirely out, leaving only one long side flap intact.

I reduced heat and baked for another 20 minutes, and when I waited 10 minutes and upended the pan to remove, I fully expected the cake to be stuck in the pan, but I was so relieved to see the bottom of the cake slowly release from the bottom of the glass pan.

(Until the moment the cake fell apart, I WAS going to butter the top and dust with mixture of
confectioners sugar and cocoa powder…. But that idea was scrapped.)

I baked it on Sunday. I was so crushed I didn’t even want to take a picture at first, but I eventually did. Here it is, looking all ruined, but it turned out delicious :>
02DF3180-F34F-4303-B708-F9CB3A36E8B8.jpeg
In hind sight, I think all the liquid/juice in the oranges made the batter much looser than is usual, and threw off the baking time as well as making the consistency of the cake much more delicate and fragile.

…I also baked cookies on Monday after making home made oat milk. I wanted to use the remains in the nut milk bag. For this, I creamed together coconut oil, butter and almond-cashew butter, coconut brown sugar and dark brown sugar, eggs, added kahlua, my strained blackberry jam, the strained oatmeal, whole wheat and whole white wheat, baking powder and baking soda, sea salt. Refrigerated then used cookie dough scoops and topped with peanuts and dark and white chocolate chips.

I’ll take pics if there are any left.

applestar
Mod

Forgot to take pics, but made some “pretzel” hotdogs today. Hubby had bought some fancy hotdogs, so I thought I’ll make rolls and started making yeast dough — no exact measurements — I saw that I had pulp left from making oatmilk and also from making koji cultured malted rice milk (very sweet after starch has been converted to sugar) — I added both to hot water to dissolve the yeast, in addition to some molasses, added whole wheat and bread flours plus sea salt, then … since the dough needed more liquid, added saved purple sweet potato steaming water — this time scooping up as much of the settled white starch. Also added an egg.

I was pleased to note that I’m getting the hang of what good dough looks like — elasticity, moisture level, handling somewhat sticky at first dough.

I used some evoo to coat the dough for working with and coating for proofing, cut up the proofed dough into 11 exactly weighed portions (77g) and pulled into balls, then shaped flat, folded bits of butter inside and then rolled into ropes to wind around each patted dry franks. (3 balls/rolls that were left over went in the fridge to bake at another time)

After proofing, they were dropped into boiling baking soda water for 30 seconds each side, then egg-washed and sesame seeded, and then baked in 450°F oven for about 11 minutes.

They didn’t actually turn out like “pretzels” — probably wrong combination of ingredients. The first batch that hubby and I ate immediately were soft rolls but delicious.

DD’s didn’t get to theirs for about 30 minutes after baking, and their batch were left in the oven, which actually made the crust more “crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside”.

applestar
Mod

applestar wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:55 am
… I got distracted when I saw the leftover bread dough from yesterday’s wrapped hot dogs, and noticed that two bananas were rapidly turning brown on the banana hanger.

I ‘be been cooking up some banana custard cream, which I’ve put in the fridge to hopefully firm up a bit. Planning to make banana custard-filled mini-rolls later … thinking the silicone Madeleine pan might work for this.
…there wasn’t enough dough to completely enrobe the custard and still make the quantity I wanted, but it turned out yummy THIS way :()
Attachments
6DF47A56-07B1-48F2-B27C-4D4A9168C986.jpeg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made another one of those Death by Chocolate banana breads, this one with 7/8c WW flour, in place of a cup of AP, and baked in the longer 2 lb pan, rather than the 9 x 5 pan.
ImageAnother of those Death by Chocolate Banana Breads, this one baked in the longer 2 lb pan. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

It looks really good. I finished my loaf of raisin bread, but I still have English muffins, tortillas, and bagels so I am good for a while. Besides I have 100 lbs of rice so I am not hurting for carbs.

When I am stuck in the house on these rainy days I do like to bake, but I can't really get bread to rise in 100% humidity. Luckily, if I do need bread, Walmart is less than a mile away. Actually, I think I can still make cornbread, I don't think the humidity bothers that much.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I'm curious, imafan - how does high humidity stop, or even slow bread from rising? Colder temps, obviously, but even colder, doesn't entirely stop dough from rising - just slows it down.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made another batch of this very large (turned out 90.45 oz of dough) recipe of rye bread today, this one an unusual version, using about 1¼ c of pickle juice in place of some of the water, and adding 2 tsp finely minced dill weed, and 2 tsp dill seed, in place of 1 tb of the caraway. The bread has 3/4 c cornmeal, cooked, which gets very thick, plus it has 2 c mashed potatoes. It has 4 c each rye and WW flours - the original name in the CB, "Dark Pumpernickel", I guess refers to the dark flours, with no white flours at all. I don't make this often, but I have extra room in my freezer now, once all those cookies were baked, and a lot of stuff was used up in the cookies. And one of these I will give to a friend of mine.
ImageThe cooked coarse cornmeal, or polenta, and dill seed, dill weed, and caraway seed, for the rye bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageMashed potatoes added to the stirred up cornmeal. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe almost finished rye dough, just slightly sticking to the bottom of the bowl. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe "dark pumpernickel", ready to rise 3 times 15 minutes, and fold the dough, then rise 60 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe dark pumpernickel, more than doubled. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe 3 loaves of dark pumpernickel, just over 30 oz each, ready to rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDark pumpernickel, ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished dark pumpernickel. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made 1 loaf of bread, it did a 50% rise. I kneaded in more yeast and sugar it did a small rise. I kneaded dough with more yeast & sugar it did another small rise in 12 hours. I baked it anyway. It makes a good door stop. It is not good. I put it in the driveway birds won't eat it. I drove vehicle over it to make smaller pieces, birds, rabbits, skunks, possums, deer, fox, other animals won't eat it. Ants might eat some.
Attachments
deer17.JPG
100_8255.JPG
100_8256.JPG

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”