applestar
Mod

Re: BREAD, post Photos and Recipes here.

This was FUNNY! :lol:

Diluted, it might make good fertilizer. Also might attract slugs and mosquitoes and help to control them even if not kill them. Do you think it would be alkaline? Maybe it will kill weeds…. Haha

applestar
Mod

I came across a new recipe called Texas Toast Egg Bread made with dry yeast. Used about 5:2 bread flour and whole wheat flour, and subbed with mixture of coconut milk and rice milk.

Turned out great! :D
Attachments
7BDB1260-E05B-42A8-9C35-A862B32AEE4A.jpeg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today I made a couple of loaves of Russian black bread - something I got the idea for when I found a bag of wheat bran in the freezer, as this recipe has 2 c of bran. That, plus the 4 c of rye flour, gives a fairly dense bread, with just 2½ c wheat flour, though I added some gluten, to make up for this.
ImageTwo 2 lb loaves of Russian Black Bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Do you freeze the bread after you make it? One of the reasons I don't make or eat a lot of bread is because it beomes a rock in a day or two. Can you eat that much bread in a short time?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:11 am
Do you freeze the bread after you make it? One of the reasons I don't make or eat a lot of bread is because it beomes a rock in a day or two. Can you eat that much bread in a short time?
I keep bread in a plastic bag if it starts to dry out 15 seconds in the steamer it comes out like fresh baked.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I always freeze the bread, when I make more than one loaf. And all those loaves of rye bread (and other loaves for sandwiches) I make I put some oil in - a quarter cup in a 6 or 7 c batch of flour, so about 2 tb to a 1½-2 lb loaf. After maybe 3 days, it starts getting a little dry, but then, I just toast it! It doesn't seem dry then, any more than toast normally does. In the summer, I put bread in the fridge after 2 days usually - bread can mold much faster in the heat - and being refrigerated dries out the bread faster, so I toast a lot of it then, though it goes faster in the summer, though I don't bake as often in the heat!

The only breads I don't put oil in are things like French bread, ciabatta, and similar things, for serving with a dinner, for several people. That's the only type of bread that I make that dries out fast. Simply put, fat keeps it moist. The sweet breads, with a stick of butter, stays moist for a long time! :lol:

imafan26
Mod

Oil in the batter. That is a good tip. It is usually about 80 degrees inside the house on most days so bread cannot be kept out so I do keep it in the frig. They put a lot of enzymes in the bread so it stays softer longer, but it is dry and breaks off in fine crumbs. We no longer have a regular bakery for bread. It shut down near the end of covid. They had too much debt to continue. A few small bakeries have started to make some of their products, but they are too small to be able to fill the need. Now, most of our bread comes from the mainland frozen and it thawed. It is not the same and the shelf life is much shorter. It is probably why I only finish about half a loaf and give up on it. Then I have to make bread pudding, French toast, meat loaf, sturffing, or stick it in the freezer for another day. They do sell half loaves of bread but they have thicker slices and they cost a lot more. I prefer most of the time to buy rolls instead of bread because even though they are more expensive than a loaf of bread, I have a better chance of finishing them.

applestar
Mod

Last night I was in a hurry so I tried steam baking bread in the Instant Pot.

I used a 7qt pyrex bowl lined and sidewall supported with parchment so it could rise upwards. It turned out great! I finished it by baking in the toaster oven at 325°F for 10 minutes, then leaving it to cool in the oven overnight.

Took it out and sliced it up first thing in the morning. Tasted it and it was moist and tender with good spring.
Attachments
DC60FF54-1693-454A-8E2D-E200E834667D.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Today’s loaves of bread — based on Texas Toast Egg recipe (tweaked with peach and mango preserve, whole wheat land almond flours) plus “almost” Japanese Melon Pan style outer layer — Instead of the actual crunchy cookie layer, I just reserved a portion of the dough and mixed in some turbinado sugar, butter, and more almond flour.
5EB98212-203B-4927-8C7A-C9FADA54E6AB.jpeg
Haven’t had the chance to try tasting it. Will add sliced photo later.

ETA —
77AFD9CF-0C02-4F4A-B083-4F368A34A9B9.jpeg
Tastes wonderful! As I remembered, the texture of this bread is similar to milk bread, which is the base for the Melon Pan. The tender crust I put together on the fly, as my DD2 put it, is sweet and flakey and similar to croissants’.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Stores are sold out of bread. Flour was sold out also except for 1 bag of bread flour at the 3rd store. Store shelves are empty like it was 3 years ago for covid. Wife wants bread with dinner so I made some soft crust bread. I like hard crust. Cold ice & snow lots of places are closed. No garbage pickup. No mail all week. Factories, schools, other businesses closed. I cut this bread in 13 thick slices it was good with dinner.
Attachments
100_8366.JPG
100_8367.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

That's what it was like around here - from what I hear. I haven't been shopping since well before our first storm, and I haven't been anywhere since then! Like when covid started, I can go for months, and it will still look like I haven't bought anything! Monday I have an appointment, and I might check out some stores on the way home, depending on conditions.
I just used my last loaf of bread out of the freezer a couple of days ago, so I'll be baking some again soon.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

1°f this morning.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a banana bread today, since I had 4 very ripe bananas I had to use soon! I based it on one I made a while back, from Milk Street, with brown butter and cardamom, but I added a little cinnamon, and some whole grain flours for half of it, plus I added a cup of toasted walnuts. Not quite as good as the "Death By Chocolate" banana bread, but definitely good.

ImageMy brown butter banana bread, in a 9"x5" pan, in a parchment sling, just after being removed from the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe brown butter banana bread, with cardamom and a small amount of cinnamon, cooling on a wire rack. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Yumm! Cardamom in banana bread really seems a different concept, but I think I’m out. I may have to restock and try this…. I found out walnuts really makes a difference when I had ben out of them for a while. Pecans were OK but didn’t provide the same taste and texture experience.

…I’m starting to think it’s possible to make bread out of almost any leftovers —

Do you remember that meatloaf I posted about? After the 2nd one with squash cooked under it was removed, I ended up with squash left over in cooking broth. To this, I added potato cooking broth that I had saved, the remainder of the pasta sauce with roasted garlic that was left in the jar after using for the meatloaf recipe, and the meat juices from the first meatloaf after removing the grease, and cooked them on SOUP and left it to “Keep Warm” until next morning, then added cubed purple sweet potato and leftover cooked rice from the freezer and made porridge.

When that had been kept warm and had no more takers, I let it cool down and added some sugar, a glug of cultured bubbling home made mixed grain rice milk (I.e. active rice yeast), bread flour, whole wheat flour, and instant dry yeast, plant based shredded Mexican cheese mix; proofed and let it rise; then tweaked with additional flours until dough started to behave, then stretch -and-pulled into a ball, used the saved meatloaf grease to “oil” and turn over in the instant pot inner pot; and proofed again.

Formed into these muffin pan “dinner roll” balls and larger “burger bun” balls, let them double, and baked at 375°F.

Amazing fluffy soft, flavorful rolls. Could have added a little sea salt to the dough I think, but probably for the best since hubby needs to restrict salt intake.

I had my *2nd* warm from the oven dinner roll with unsalted butter and Himalayan pink salt. :D. DD1 got one hot and DD2, after eating one of the dinner rolls, came up to tell me she “couldn’t get all of the burger bun rolls in the storage bag” like I asked her to do after they cooled down, and decided to have a sandwich with the “One (that) won’t fit.” :D :D
Attachments
E856E598-45F9-45EB-AF93-4A2FB2F0A0AF.jpeg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I ran out of rye flour, so a couple of days ago I ground up some more, to fill the container (takes a little less than 5 lbs), and I set aside 2 c to start some Old Milwaukee rye with. Today, I finished the bread. I opened a pound bag of yeast I had in the freezer just over a year, when I bought 2 lbs at BJ's, and put one in the freezer, and the one I'm using I keep in a jar, in the fridge. The last little bit was definitely slowing down, the last several batches, though still active, and this was noticeably faster, as always.
ImageA recipe of Old Milwaukee Rye bread, 2 loaves, just over 2 lbs each. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

It’s been a bit since I baked another interesting bread :wink:

This is a leftover oatmeal bread — steel cut oats in boiling water made with sliced apple, diced dates, home made oat milk, cinnamon and sea salt, finished with rice milk and butter to be ready-to-eat and kept warm.

Cooled and rice milk added to adjust temp, then instant yeast, whole wheat and all purpose flour, and sea salt to sponge-proof, then kneaded with butter and bread flour, proofed coated in avocado oil, then more oil and flour to fold and form into a boule, then baked (on to of rolled sprouted oats in the bottom) in parchment-lined cast anodized aluminum casserole. 30 minutes at 425°F and then removed from the casserole in the parchment and baked on foil-lined rack for another 20 minutes, then 10 more minutes in turned off oven without opening.

Got a “yummy!” from DD1 who had been asked to wrap and put away after cooling last night (admonished to wait for at least 1hour to slice :lol:)

I had my taste this morning. Moist and soft in the middle, still crisp crust (she did wait before wrapping 👍)
Attachments
E37FD07B-C755-4F8E-8D5D-DE942CE10518.jpeg

imafan26
Mod

It all looks so good.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made another batch of the Old Milwaukee Rye today - only left the sponge for 2 days, instead of 3, but it still smells fantastic, as always. One goes in the freezer, the other I start eating in the morning!
ImageTwo 2 lbs loaves of Old Milwaukee Rye. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I baked a loaf or rye bread today, that I started yesterday with a sponge made with half barley flour and half rye, soaked about 18 hours. It was made of 2/3 c barley and about 2 c rye, so it was relatively low in whole wheat, which I think ended up only around 1 2/3 c. I added a little wheat gluten, but it fell a little when baking, and the bread will be a little dense, but it will still be delicious, I'm sure.

ImageA loaf of rye bread, with some barley flour added to the overnight sponge. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I baked another loaf of banana bread today, since I had 4 very ripe bananas. I haven't cut it yet, but oh, that aroma! I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
Image2 lb loaf of banana bread, using 4 ripe bananas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the recipe I used, with the only changes I made being using half Ww flour, and using a cup of walnuts, instead of 3/4 c, and toasted them lightly - something I almost always do, for nuts when baking.
https://www.kannammacooks.com/american- ... ump-target

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I baked two loaves of rye bread, starting with a generous cup of mashed potatoes, making a sponge with those, 2½ c water and 2½ c rye flour, about 2 tb caraway seeds, plus 2 tsp instant yeast. A few hours later I added about 1/4 c wheat gluten, 2 oz oil, 3 oz blackstrap molasses, 1 tb salt, and after mixing that in, 3 c WW flour. After letting it sit 15 min, to absorb the moisture, I put the bowl on the mixer, with the dough hook, and added about 1½ c KA unbleached flour, adding just enough to leave it sticky, and almost pulling off the bowl - after 6 minutes I spray some baker's spray into the bowl, to release it, then stopped. I let it rise 3 times for 15 minutes, folding the dough after each time, then rose it about 75 min (60 min was not quite enough). Then divided it into half, and folded the bubbles out, and put the loaves in the 2 lb pans. Rose it 40 min, then started oven on 300° for 5 min, then baked 45 min, until internal temp was 210°. After cooling, one will be frozen.

ImagePotato rye bread, almost 2 lb loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

looks so good. I am still eating the banana bread I made a few days ago. It is a good thing banana bread stays soft for a few days. With it constantly raining and 83% humidity, it is hard to bake yeast bread.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”