Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: BREAD, post Photos and Recipes here.

applestar, wife calls the yellow color spray can of PAM, spray butter. I don't often use the spray can so I have not read what is in the can. I like to rub real butter on hot bread but if bread has seeds I can not do that. The other day bread was covered with seeds so I used the spray can but it is not real butter. Next time I have seeds on bread I will melt butter then pour it over the top to see how that works. I want to try your egg wash idea to make seeds stick but I worry cooked egg on top of bread will spoil if not refrigerated or eaten right away and have Salmonella bacteria, I will try it on something that will get eaten the same day. I had 2 tablespoons of roasted seeds on the pan I scooped them up and ate then they were very good. I have an idea to roast 1 cup of seeds in the oven then mix them in bread dough.

applestar
Mod

That’s a valid concern about the egg wash... hmm.... Well, I think this time, my winter bread keeping method probably helped with that. Rolls are typically eaten up quickly anyway, since they are picked up for easy snacks too.

I wouldn’t do this in the summer because higher temp will make bacterial pressure too high: I simply don’t wash the bowl used to make the initial sponge/wet dough, and line it with the DRY linen towel used to cover the rough while proofing (I wouldn’t use moistened proofing towel). This was used as “bread basket” for the rolls and tucked inside the towel. I believe the high density of yeast in the dried dough on the bowl and towel helps keep out and keep mold spores from settling in.

I guess otherwise keep in fridge for a day or two, or (slice loaves and) directly freeze for longer.
Looking forward to seeing/reading about your new bread ideas.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Apple & Gary; I don't understand the reference to salmonella on cooked egg.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

4 years ago I got Salmonella poisoning from eating 2 day old cookies that had eggs in the recipe I spent 5 days in hospital.

applestar
Mod

This isn’t really bread, but I can’t think of where else to post this ....

This was made based on recipe for Fluffy Japanese Soufflé Hot(Pan)cakes. :arrow: https://cookpad.com/recipe/3744249
As you can see, the basic key step is to separate the eggs and whip the egg whites with lemon juice until peaks form, then fold into the rest of the batter. I substituted storebought strawberry kefir for yogurt and used cake flour. Cook over low heat and cover, adding spoonfuls of batter in layers for extra fluffy height.

It’s funny — this became a fad in Japan a couple of years ago and is still going strong, sold by specialty shops. But this is similar to the hotcake recipe that was in my first cookbook ever— a cookbook with real recipes written for 8-9 year olds. That was ...oh, maybe ...oh wow, almost half a century ago? :o

We had ours with butter and genuine maple syrup. These really do practically melt in your mouth. It was a great hit with the family, but the recipe only made two small pancakes each. I will have to double it next time.

ETA — I didn’t refer to this recipe while making mine, but I forgot that I saved the link — FYI
Japanese Souffle Pancake スフレパンケーキ • Just One Cookbook
https://www.justonecookbook.com/souffle-pancake/

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today I baked something I hadn't baked in a long time - some Sprouted WW bread. The original recipe is in an old book (I think 1973?), and I've been making it since I was in a co-op in '76 or '77. I happened to have a small amount of spelt berries in a jar, which is what made me think to sprout them - too little to do anything else with! The sprouted wheat berries give the bread a unique flavor - only 1/4 c wheat berries (before sprouting) to 6 1/2 c ww flour.

ImageSprouted wheat by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImagePoolish, made with WW flour, and sprouts added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDough, ready to rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRisen loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked loaves - sprouted wheat bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I was in grade school my mother used milk for glue it works good on paper so I tried it on bread. 1 tablespoons of seeds and barely enough 2% milk to make seeds wet, stir well. Then spoon seeds onto the top of the bread before it is baked. I used bottom side of spoon like a putty knife to cover the top of the loaf with a good even layer of seeds. After baking 25 minutes at 350 degrees F seeds are stuck tight. I rubber my hand over the seeds a few times only 2 seeds fell off. I am a bit surprised how well this works seeds are not coming off easy.

This bread recipe is 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup white bread flour, 2 tablespoon of sugar, 1.5 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon yeast in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons 100 degree water. Proof yeast in warm water 30 minutes then add white bread flour, salt, sugar and stir well until dough becomes elastic and sticky. Add the rest of the flour then kneed until dough is too stiff to kneed. When double in size 1 hr kneed until too stiff to kneed, place in bread pan until double in size. Bake at 350 for 25 min.

I am never putting raisins or nuts in bread dough every again it causes too much trouble with things poking out all sides of the dough and baked bread. I rolled dough out flat about 7" x 16" then sprinkle raisins on flat dough then roll it up. Put roll edge on bottom of greased pan then force dough into the pan very hard forcing it in all the corners and edges. Force dough down hard on both ends this gets rid of the rolled end look after it is baked.

I cut the bread only a few seeds fell off compared to other breads with seeds that I put seeds on bread in the past. Bread turned out good I ate a slice with butter. This will be good in the toaster every morning for breakfast.
Attachments
100_2666.JPG
100_2667.JPG
100_2669.JPG
100_2671.JPG

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Finally got around to making my Dill Bread.
For the bread I just used all purpose white flour and wheat flour and dumped into my bread maker.
  • 2c all purpose white flour (wasn't going back out to the store for bread flour)
  • 2c wheat flour
  • 1-1/4c water
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • yeast per directions (bread machine directions)
  • tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 Cup of Cream Cheese
  • 2 tablespoon of Dried Minced Onions
  • 2 tablespoon of Dill Seed

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I baked some Russian Black Bread today. I gave the recipe below, but I did start it a couple days early, with some sourdough culture, which I do sometimes. I just started it two nights before with 1 oz firm starter, plus 1 1/4 c of the water, plus enough rye flour to make a slightly firm, but sticky dough. I let it rise until this morning - about 36 hours, then added the remaining ingredients, reducing yeast to 2 tsp. It definitely got acidic, as the dough rising and the loaves rising took about 3 hours each!
ImageRussian black bread, before adding last 2 c rye, and bread flour. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDough halfway through the kneading. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageReady to rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRisen loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked Russian Black Bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSlice of Russian Black Bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It looked and smelled so good that I had to have a late night sandwich on it!

RUSSIAN BLACK BREAD

4 tsp yeast, instant
2 3/4 cup(s) water
1/4 cup(s) blackstrap molasses
1 tsp sugar
2 cup(s) bran
4 cup(s) dark rye flour
1/4 cup(s) vinegar
5 tb oil
2 tb caraway seeds
2 tsp Russian caraway seeds (nigella)
1/2 tsp fennel seed; crushed
1 tb salt
2 tsp instant coffee powder
2 tsp caramel powder (optional)
2 tsp onion powder
3 tb dark cocoa powder
3.5-4 cup(s) bread flour

A. Combine the yeast, water, molasses, sugar, bran, and rye flour in the mixer bowl and set aside while preparing remaining ing., to allow the water to be absorbed. Add the vinegar, oil, seeds, salt, coffee, cocoa, and onion powder, and mix well. Add the bread flour a cup at a time, leaving it just a little moist. Knead 6-7 min. on medium with the dough hook, or 10 min. by hand. Place into an oiled bowl and roll over to coat. Cover and let rise 1 1/2 hrs. or until doubled, turning after 15 and 30 min.

B. Punch dough down and divide into two pieces. Shape each into a round loaf, or place in two 2 lb. loaf pans. Spray with oil, and cover with plastic. Let rise 45 min., or until about doubled.

C. Bake 1 hr at 350º, or less if using a stone at higher temps. Cool on a wire rack.

applestar
Mod

...trying to keep up with the serious bread bakers...

— this is another toss ingredients together bread. About 3/4 cup puréed winter squash (Mrs. Aquillard’s Striped Cushaw) plus water and kefir whey for the liquid warmed with saved strained bacon grease, crumbled krispykream pecan pie (that nobody wanted to eat) for the sugar, pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp yeast and 1-1/2 tsp sea salt, 2 cups all purpose whole wheat flour, a handful of rye flour, and then white bread flour added to knead with a handful of broken up pecans.

Pretty long first rise in sufflower oil greased covered bowl in front of the heater, then cut in half and shaped. 2nd rise loosely wrapped in parchment using toaster oven’s proofing setting for 1 hour.

Preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes. Dense-looking but surprisingly light and moist interior with chewy crust.

,,,3/4 eta... this really was good bread. It’s flavor wasn’t assertive in any way, but it was all around very satisfying when thickly sliced, lightly toasted and slathered with unsalted cultured butter, that it got eaten up as snack :D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am enjoying all these breads everyone is making. I wish we could all get together for bread tasting. Bread, cheese & wine all go together.

Today I wanted to make 1 loaf of bread but was not paying attention to what I was doing and made the whole recipe instead of 1/2 a recipe. 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 C white bread flour, 2 heaping teaspoons salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 1/2 C warm water, 1 tsp yeast. Many years ago I use to add corn meal it makes a much better bread so I added 1/4 cup white corn meal instead of yellow corn meal that is all I have in the pantry. I also added 1/4 cup oatmeal this is very good in bread too. I have sunflower seeds that need to be used up before they get stale so I ground up 1/4 cup in the coffee grinder then threw them in the mix. I have a large jar of molasses I bought for wine making so I poured in 1/4 cup. Molasses turned dough bright orange yellow color but after bread was baked 350 deg F 25 min now bread is brown. I have learn to use metal bread pans instead of the glass pans, metal pans make a much better bread. Glass heats up slow top is cooked 5 minutes before the inside, by the time inside is golden brown the top is over cooked. I used milk again to glue seeds on the sunflower seeds are stuck tight too.
Attachments
100_2736.JPG
100_2739.JPG
100_2745.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

MUFFINS with Raisins, Nuts, Red Wine, Quick Bread.

I think this is the correct category for this recipe most cook books call muffins, quick breads. I thought I had lost this recipe it has been 10 years or more since I made this. Zucchini bread & banana nut bread are quick bread. Pancakes, fry bread, tortillas, Pita bread are quick bread in many cook books.

If you have not eaten currents they are like tiny raisins with much better flavor. I bought a 9 oz package of currents for another project but after I found my old recipe and made it instead. Pour the currents in a jar large enough to double in size then pour in your favorite red wine then screw on the lid, shake to mix every 4 hours. After 24 hours currents soak up wine and double in size. Pour off the wine to drink later. :D

Recipe for all dry ingredient.
2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 currents soaked in red wine.
Mix well

Wet ingredients
1 cup milk
1 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 tsps white vinegar
Mix well.

Make sure oven is hot 350 degrees before you mix the 2 mixtures together.

Recipe makes 12 large size muffins or 24 smaller muffins, have cup cake papers in the pan ready to go.

Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients and stir well, quick as you can about 60 seconds. Use ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measuring spoon to spoon batter into the paper cups quick as you can. Batter will begin to slowly foam put muffin pans into the oven bake 350 degree F for 25 minutes.

Original recipe said, soak raisins in water until double in size. I decided grape juice will be better than water and it is. Then I decided wine will be better and it is. Then I decided currents and wine will be better and it is the best.
Attachments
100_2750.JPG
100_2751.JPG
100_2752.JPG
100_2755.JPG
100_2756.JPG
100_2762.JPG

applestar
Mod

You inspired me Gary350. I tried soaking the cranberries and raisins in the last of that cherry wine I mentioned before.

— I use a same basic batter recipe as reference for baking in a loaf pan or muffin tin — yesterday, I made these whole wheat squash-cranberry-pecan-walnut-raisin-oatmeal-coconut muffins. I only measured the flour and sugar and the leavening.

...I made 12 regular size and 12 mini muffins, and these were all that was left in less than 8 hours. One of the kitties even jumped up on the counter (our kitties are NOT allowed on the counter) and STOLE a mini muffin off the cooling rack.

DH has discovered that if the rest of the family sit quietly in the family room and some of us leave to go out, one of the kitties will sometimes jump up on the counter or the table to look for edibles within less than a minute after the front door has been closed. She apparently did exactly that after one DD and I left the house.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

RUSSIAN BABKA BREAD.

This looks so good I could not resist making it. I watched about 15 video recipes on YouTube how to make this. This is a traditional bread that is handed down from family to family, each family recipe is slightly different. This is a soft dough bread with a cream cheese type filling with a crumble topping. Cream cheese can be flavored with Dutch Chocolate or any pie filling, fruit, nuts, berries, etc, what ever you like. This recipe is suppose to make 1 loaf of bread but as it turns out it will make 2 loaves of bread. Most original recipes call for Farmers Cheese which is cottage cheese you use to make your own sour cream. If you want to make filling with cottage you need a cheese press to squeeze liquid out of cottage cheese for 24 hours so you have dry cheese.

DOUGH RECIPE
1 cup warm milk plus 1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 stick of melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp salt
Proof the yeast in warm milk 20 minutes then add 1/2 the flour, butter, eggs, sugar, salt. Stir 10 minutes with electric mixer then slowly add the rest of the flour & stir 5 more minutes. Dough will be very soft let it rise until double in size about 1 hour in a warm place.

FILLING RECIPE
16 oz cream cheese.
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla.
Microwave cream cheese 20 seconds stir in sugar and vanilla.

CRUMBLE TOPPING
1/3 cup cold butter cut into 16 pieces
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup dark brown sugar.
Run in food processor 30 seconds until it looks like butter pieces covered with flour & sugar.

My bread dough turned out perfect just like the videos shows. I folded the dough over and push out all the air about 10 times before stretching the dough out over the counter top very thin. Butter in dough keeps it from sticking to everything. Roll or stretch dough out very thin on counter top. I rolled dough out 3 times the length of a bread pan and about 15 inches wide then covered it with cream cheese then a whole can of cherry pie filling. Roll up along the long side. Fold into S shape then twist 360 degrees. Put into a bread pan until double in size about 1 hour.

MY bread is 2 times too LARGE it will not fit in a bread pan, I can not twist it 360 degrees. Maybe we put in too much filling. Now I understand why video said roll dough thin as pie crust. Dough should be divided in 1/2 to make 2 loaves of bread. This will still take practice making this fit into 2 bread pans.

CRUMBLE TOPPING. Cut 1/3 stick cold butter into about 16 pieces then place into the food processor with sugar and flour run it about 30 seconds until it looks like small pieces of butter covered with flour and sugar. Sprinkle on top the dough after double in size 1 minute before putting it in the oven.

Bake in hot 350 degree oven 45 minutes.

After letting this cool for 1 hours we ate some with a couple scoops of frozen yogurt ice cream. Wow this is GOOD. This won't last long around here. Filling is perfect.

Next time we make this it will be with Dutch Chocolate cream cheese filling.

3rd time I want to made cranberry orange juice pie filling like I saw in a video.

Next morning I had a slice of Babka with coffee and got a better photo in sunlight. You can see the fluffy bread & layers of cream cheese an cherry filling. We kept this in the refrigerator all night it slices much better cold. I microwaved this slice 25 seconds. Wow I am amazed how good this is.
Attachments
100_2802.JPG
100_2790.JPG
100_2792.JPG
100_2793.JPG
100_2794.JPG
100_2796.JPG
100_2797.JPG
100_2798.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

CROISSANTS

I have never made these before so this will be a learning experience. Recipe makes 12 to 14 rolls.

1 cup warm milk
1 tsp yeast
1 T sugar
Proof yeast until it foams up.

2 cup bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 T sugar
Mix, flour, salt, sugar.
Add 1/2 the flour mix to milk mixture stir with electric mixer several minutes then slowly add the rest of the flour. This will be a thin soft dough.

Let the dough rest in a warm place until double in size.

Roll dough out to a rectangle shape the thickness of cardboard. Coat top of dough with melted butter.
Fold dough in thirds so you have 3 layers of dough. Roll dough out to a rectangle thickness of cardboard again.
Cover top of dough with butter fold it in thirds again and roll out again.
Fold and roll out dough 9 times this gives you 27 layers be sure to cover dough with butter each time before folding it.
Roll dough out 1 last time about thickness of cardboard then cut into 6"x9" triangles with pizza cutter.
Roll pie shape pieces up from the 6" wide end. Place rolls on a cookie sheet 2" apart to rise until double in size.
If you want a dark crust paint dough with milk or egg wash before putting it in the hot oven.
Bake 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.

My dough started out a bit too soft but after coating it with flour to make it easy to roll, folding and rolling again and again dough soon was easier to work with. The hardest part is keeping track of how many times I folded and rolled out the dough, need pencil and paper to keep track when it was rolled out 9 times to = 27 layers. I should have used a yard stick to get all the triangles the correct size. Pizza cutter makes dough easy to cut. I buttered the rolls on bottom then set them on the baking pan so they don't stick. Rolls were kept in warm place until double in size, coated with milk then baked 20 minutes. Rolls turned out a bit darker brown than we wanted but they taste good. Next time no milk top coating we like the golden brown look. Tomorrow morning wife is going to make sausage gravy to pour over croissants for breakfast with coffee & yogurt.
Attachments
100_2841.JPG
100_2829.JPG
100_2831.JPG
100_2832.JPG
100_2834.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

BLUEBERRY BREAD

Today I made a soft bread by adding milk & egg to the bread dough. I bought a jar of Smucker's Blueberry Preserves because it has less sugar & more blueberry flavor than jelly or jam. I heated the Blueberry Preserves to about 140 degrees F then puree the fruit so it is all liquid with the french mixer.

RECIPE

1/2 cup warm milk
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp yeast
Proof the yeast about 20 minutes until it foams up very much.

20 minutes later mix in
1 egg
1/2 cup blueberry preserves with french mixer

1 cup white bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp salt

Stir in the liquid. Stir until stiff then let dough rest 10 minutes.
Kneed dough until stiff let it raise at 105 degrees F in incubator until double in size about 1 hour.
Push the dough down flat then roll it out 8" wide 24" long.
Pour the rest of the Blueberry preserves on the dough then spread evenly over the top.
Roll up from the 8" end place dough in a greased pan to double in size 105 degrees F about 1 hour.
Bake 350 degrees F for 20 minutes turn off oven leave bread in oven another 10 minutes
Butter top of bread loaf while it is still hot this will make it softer.

This bread slices noticeably different than bread with no egg & no milk, it is soft as cake.
Attachments
100_2869.JPG
100_2871.JPG
100_2872.JPG
100_2874.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wife & I went to Farmers Market last week, wife bought a Banana Bread. I have eaten a lot of banana bread in my day but nothing as good as this. I like it the recipe takes advantage of science & physics plus does not call for a cup of Oil or cup of Crisco to make it soft. It does not leave your mouth and teeth covered in grease. The hardest part is letting 3 bananas turn black an disgusting looking it took 6 days of waiting. Put 3 bananas in freezer over night then leave them in the refrigerator 4 days then 2 days on the counter top. Bananas turn out soft as room temperature butter and sweet as sugar. It is all natural. Use metal baking pans not glass. Low temperature 325 degrees F allows the batter to cook all the way through an not burn or over cook the outside.

BANANA NUT BREAD

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 disgusting looking medium size black bananas
Whip at high speed for a few minutes until creamy and smooth

Add
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream

Add
1 cup of pecans stir in by hand with a spoon.

Grease 2 metal 5x9 bread pans then pour 1/2 the batter into each pan.

TOPPING
1/2 cup white sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 T soft butter
Whip at high speed until mixed then sprinkle over the top of each loaf

Bake at 325 degree F for 60 to 65 minutes. Test with tooth pick make sure it is done in center.
Cool for 10 to 15 minutes so it dumps out of the pan easier.
Attachments
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Looks good! What I have always done to get my children to eat vegetables is to sneak them into banana bread/muffins.

Replace half the banana with zucchini, squash, broccoli, even carrots although they ate carrots without needing to hide them. I also added any fruits that were not getting eaten fast enough — cut out soft spots and add apples, pears, plums, peaches, ... leftover berries, etc. Nuts, too — walnuts or pecans, almonds, flake coconuts ...mix-n-match depending on other ingredients

...also, I always use White Whole Wheat/Whole White Wheat flour. When you get used to eating whole grain baked goods, white flour-made stuff are too gummy in texture, and they are missing the other flavors you get used too.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Looks good! What I have always done to get my children to eat vegetables is to sneak them into banana bread/muffins.

Replace half the banana with zucchini, squash, broccoli, even carrots although they ate carrots without needing to hide them. I also added any fruits that were not getting eaten fast enough — cut out soft spots and add apples, pears, plums, peaches, ... leftover berries, etc. Nuts, too — walnuts or pecans, almonds, flake coconuts ...mix-n-match depending on other ingredients

...also, I always use White Whole Wheat/Whole White Wheat flour. When you get used to eating whole grain baked goods, white flour-made stuff are too gummy in texture, and they are missing the other flavors you get used too.
We always had a garden when children were growing up so they were use to eating vegetables all the time an seldom complained. They did not like carrots so I use to puree carrots then mix them into meat load. But the kids did not like meat loaf so I started cooking meat loaf in hamburger shapes fried in the skillet or baked in the oven kids bragged how these are the best hamburgers we ever ate. LOL. I don't like beef but the kids like hamburgers so we cooked beef in some things.

When I make a new recipe I like to make it original the first time then I have a better idea how I want to change it next time. Next time I leave off sugar topping and put the 1 T cinnamon into the batter. Next time I swap out 1/2 the white flour for whole wheat flour. After baking and changing it a few times I get closer and closer to what we like best. Third time I want to leave out some of the white sugar and maybe add more whole wheat flour. Also swap out $12 pecans for $4 lb walnuts because walnuts cost less. This will probably become our #1 recipe for making muffins, blackberries will be ripe soon plants are loaded this year. I think my 3 bananas were too large on this first time making this I should have used smaller bananas or more flour. Recipe calls for 3 medium bananas not sure exactly what size medium really is there should be a more exact measurement like 1 1/2 cups or what every works best.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

YEAST ROLLS with filing.

Today I wanted to make something I can eat as snack food that is not loaded with sugar so I decided to make yeast rolls.

1 1/4 cups white bread flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup warm milk + 1 teaspoon sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 T sugar
1 teaspoon yeast
1 T heaping spoon of peanut butter
1 T heaping spoon of mash potatoes

Proof yeast in warm milk + 1 tsp sugar until it foams in about 30 minutes.
Stir in eggs, peanut butter, mash potatoes.
Slowly stir in flour little at a time.
Kneed bread until stiff, let rise 1 hour until double in size at 100 degrees F
Kneed bough enough to push out all the air.
Roll dough out into a long sausage shape about 20" long.
Cut dough into about 18 golf ball size pieces.
Roll each pieces in balls then squeeze them flat like a 2" diameter pancake.
Place filling in center on 1 side of pancake then pull dough edges in 6 places 1 by 1 to back side in center to cover up the filling.
Place back side down on baking pan.
Mix seeds with milk they will stick to dough like glue while baking.
Bake 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
Top with melted butter.

When these came out of the oven wife said, I want to eat 1 while they are still hot. Then wife said, WOW these are good we are having these with dinner.

My filling is fresh garden herbs, oregano, thyme, rosemary and 2 kinds of cheese, cheddar, Swiss, also Jalapeno peppers. I bought a jar of Meggetta jalapeno not realizing the label says, Tamed peppers. Tamed means 95% of the spicy hot has been removed also the flavor has been removed too. Tame peppers have less flavor than a paper plate throw them in the trash. Meggetta usually have good peppers some are better than Mt Olive. The spicy hotness of the Mt Olive Jalapeno is perfect for me I can eat these with a fork like pickles. I love hot spicy food but my stomach can not deal with it anymore I will be sorry I ate these tomorrow. The rolls need 5 times more Jalapeno peppers next time, wife won't be eating any so I get to eat them all.

Rolls with a mix of all 3 herbs in several combinations they were very good. I liked the rolls with Swiss cheese best, wife liked cheddar cheese best. Next time add more cheese 1" wide piece 8" long rolled up like a carpet fits perfect in the dough. Maybe I buy cheese cubes next time instead of flat cheese.

Now that I finally learned the correct way to put filling in dough I can make, Jewish Knish and German Pasties, easier.
Attachments
100_3714.JPG
100_3711.JPG
100_3710.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:Wife & I went to Farmers Market last week, wife bought a Banana Bread. I have eaten a lot of banana bread in my day but nothing as good as this. I like it the recipe takes advantage of science & physics plus does not call for a cup of Oil or cup of Crisco to make it soft. It does not leave your mouth and teeth covered in grease. The hardest part is letting 3 bananas turn black an disgusting looking it took 6 days of waiting. Put 3 bananas in freezer over night then leave them in the refrigerator 4 days then 2 days on the counter top. Bananas turn out soft as room temperature butter and sweet as sugar. It is all natural. Use metal baking pans not glass. Low temperature 325 degrees F allows the batter to cook all the way through an not burn or over cook the outside.

BANANA NUT BREAD

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup 3 disgusting looking medium size black bananas

Add
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream

Add
1 cup of pecans stir in by hand with a spoon.

Grease 2 metal 5x9 bread pans then pour 1/2 the batter into each pan.

TOPPING
1/2 cup white sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 T soft butter
Whip at high speed until mixed then sprinkle over the top of each loaf

Bake at 325 degree F for 60 to 65 minutes. Test with tooth pick make sure it is done in center.
Cool for 10 to 15 minutes so it dumps out of the pan easier.
BANANA BREAD update

I made this recipe again this time I measured my 3 medium bananas they measure 1 cup compacted into a measuring cup. This time I replaced 1/2 the white flour with whole wheat flour. A left of the sugar topping. 1 T cinnamon was mixed directly into the batter not the topping. I like it better than before without that 1/2 cup sugar topping, that is too much sugar for me.
Attachments
100_3717.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made some Old Milwaukee Rye bread today! This is the stuff I started 3 days ago. I've probably baked more of this bread than any other, and I've been baking it since the 70's. The recipe is from the original The Complete Book Of Breads, by Bernard Clayton Jr., though I've changed the recipe somewhat. The new KA worked well.
ImageBaked bread! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the album with all the photos, start to finish, if you want to see them:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFNM6v8

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

PAN CAKES.

This is a type of bread so I think this is where this recipe should be. This is a new recipe for us we have made this several times. Recipe calls for Farmers Cheese which it the old name for Cottage Cheese. This morning wife said, make recipe in the food processor so you can puree the cottage cheese curds into the batter it should make a cheesy creamer batter and she was right but now batter is a bit thicker so I added a tiny bit more milk to get the thickness I like. I like batter thick enough to make 1/2" thick pancakes. For each his own make batter the thickness you like to get pancakes you like. Recipe also calls for butter milk but 1 quart of buttermilk these days cost $4 it will rot in the refrigerator before we ever make enough pancakes to use it up so I substitute 1 C milk plus 1 tsp vinegar. Recipe makes 5 large 6" diameter pancakes or any diameter pancake you like. If you substitute water for milk pancakes will not get golden brown even cooked at 450 degrees F. My 82 year old Aunt likes watery batter she could get 12 thinner pancakes from this recipe. Thinner pancakes cook faster. I added 1/3 cup cottage cheese today instead of 1/4 cup it was, more better, more gooder, less worser. LOL

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk + 1 tsp vinegar
1 egg
1/4 cup farmers cheese = cottage cheese

Cook on griddle 350 degrees F about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown on both sides.
Attachments
100_4637.JPG
100_4639.JPG

applestar
Mod

Yum! Looks good. :D

I did something similar — I made cornbread (recipe from back of arrowhead mills yellow cornmeal bag) but used kefir instead of buttermilk, which made it somewhat cheesy. I also reduced the amount of kefir and also of sugar, and swirled in about 1/4 cup of plum jelly that wasn’t getting used up*, and then adapted from your cobbler recipe @Gary350, except (rather than pouring melted butter over the batter) I poured the batter into half of the butter melted in the square glass baking dish — I did mix the other half into the batter.

* When jams and jellies get a little older in the fridge — still good but older — family stops wanting to use them and I can’t eat them up by myself either, so rather than letting them sit and get old and moldy, I incorporate into baked goods or boil up with maple syrup and turn into flavored syrup to pour over pancakes and ice cream. :wink:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Moraccon Flat Bread

Recipe varies from family to family. The way the dough is pressed out and folded several times with butter between each layer it the trick to making it flaky. Each layer is topped with, lemon butter or vanilla butter. After making 4 minutes on a griddle it is eaten with by dipping it in, honey, syrup, vanilla sugar. Also topped with fresh cilantro & tiny sprinkle of shopped lemon peal.

Semolina flour is course grown wheat flour about like corn meal or salt.

Recipe #1
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water
Mix dough well. Form into about 12 round balls. Let dough rest 30 minutes. Oil counter top press dough balls out like a pizza 10" circle. Butter top sprinkle 1 tablespoon Semolina over the top. Fold 3 times in 1 direction sprinkle semolina between each fold. Then 3 times in the other direction sprinkle semolina between each fold. Let rise 30 min. Push out flat like a large flat bread butter both sides cook about 2 min each side on griddle or hot skillet.

Recipe #2 is slightly different watch the video.
2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup semolina flour
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water add more water as needed

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... ction=view

Also flat bread with filling.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... ction=view

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Low Gluten Bread, I got this information on, America's Test Kitchen TV show last week. Make any bread recipe you like, kneed dough stiff stiff, wrap dough with plastic wrap put in refrigerator for 2 days. Most of the gluten in the dough goes away in 2 days. After 2 days kneed dough until stiff then let it rise in a pan then bake at 350 degrees.

I made bread with 2 cups of bread bread flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp yeast, 1 cup water. I wrapped dough in plastic kept it in refrigerator 2 days. Then kneed it again until stiff then put it is a greased pan. Dough rises to the top of the pan the it shakes around like jelly this dough it weird I never saw dough like this. I can't let dough rise above the pan edge or it will run out so I had to baked it, 350 deg F for 25 min. I used a metal pan bread looks nice and tastes very good. Holes in the bread are very small. Bread has a very good different very firm texture an very good flavor. This is a full body bread it is nothing like grocery store bread flavor is different you need to taste it yourself.. I like this bread I will make this again.

I had butter on the 1st slice of bread before I realized I forgot to take a picture. This bread is better than a desert it is still warm.

I made camp fire toast for late evening snack a 3/4" thick slice of bread fried in a cast iron skilled with butter cooked on the kitchen stove it turned out very good. If I was actually camping I would already have a camp fire going.
Attachments
100_5531.JPG
100_5532.JPG
100_5533.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Another new bread. It is 23 degrees outside so I made bread. Basic recipe 2 C flour, 1 C water, 1.5 tsp salt, 1 tsp yeast. I used 1 C whole wheat & 1 Cup white bread flour. This is another new recipe I wanted to try, let it rise 4 times & kneed it 4 times. I have to add 1/4 C sugar to recipe to keep yeast fermenting 4 hours. It took 1 hour each time bread doubled in size & 5 minutes to kneed each time. Bake in metal pan 350 degrees F 25 minutes. My mother & grandmother always covered hot out of the oven bread with butter to keep it soft. I like hard crispy crunchy crust my brain is programmed to butter hot bread, I need to learn to stop doing that.
Attachments
100_5588.JPG
100_5590.JPG
100_5591.JPG

applestar
Mod

Today’s bread — another no-recipe, never can make again concoction :>

~~~ eta ~~~

DD1 had been looking forward to them coming out of the oven — she said they smelled like yummy raisin bread... I cut the smaller loaf while still warm, and she said it’s good but needed something Extra. DH had his sample slice slathered with butter, I tried plain, buttered, and plain with maple syrup. DD1 said she thought it might be good with the special jar of raspberry sauce from a known confectionary mail order (which we had in the fridge) — she said she was going to have some later. This morning, I woke up and discovered that the entire first loaf had disappeared. :lol: DD1 and DD2 had devoured the rest. DD2 said it was very good with the raspberry syrup. Happily, there was plenty of syrup left, and I tried it. OH YUM! DD1 was right. :D

~~~~~~~~~~

...as close as I can remember...

- 1 cup of white whole wheat, leftover home made rice/almond milk, casually measured 2-1/2 tsp active dry or maybe instant yeast, warm water, last of condensed coconut carmel swished out of the jar with warm water poured out from the instant yeast proofing bowl,,,, 1/2 tsp sea salt. Proofed covered in front of space heater for 2 hrs
- added another cup of white whole wheat and 1/2 tsp sea salt, peeled small butternut squash (including soft immature seeds) shredded with large hole grater, a handful of dried cranberries chopped fine and soaked in apple-cognac liquor with minced nub of fresh ginger root, then drained. Stirred until smooth, added thinly sliced 1/4 stick of butter, scraped bowl with spatula and coated wet shaggy dough ball with safflower oil, then proofed for 2 hrs
- added 1 cup white bread flour and 1/2 tsp sea salt and folded in, then kneaded with another cup of white bread flour until elastic. Divided in two loaves in 1 metal and 1 glass loaf pans prepped by smearing with butter and layer the bottom with sesame seeds and oatmeal. Put the pans in shallow water filled pan. This time proofed in toaster oven set to 90°F for 2 hrs.
- in the mean time softened another 1/4 stick of butter and mixed with the reserved apple-cognac liquor and pumpkin pice spice blend.
- Added more water to the pan. Spread the butter mixture on top/center of the loaves and baked without preheating in 375°F oven for 10 minutes then reduced to 350°F, but they were getting too dark, so loosely covered with aluminum foil. Rotated pan and reduced to 320°F for last 20 minutes.
Last edited by applestar on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added the Follow-up report about the raspberry syrup.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My current eating plan emphasizes lots of lean protein and little to no starches. I was really missing bread, so I made up a higher protein bread.

1 packet yeast, set aside to grow in 1/2 C warm water, 1/2 C milk, 2 T brown sugar.
Mix 1C cooked quinoa, 3 C whole wheat flour, 1 C instant non-fat milk powder, 1/4 t salt
Add 2 eggs lightly beaten and 1 T olive oil
Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix well with bread hook.
Add extra flour as needed to make it not sticky.

Turn out and knead on a floured board until it is smooth and elastic
Let rise in a warm place until double
Punch down and knead and let rise again.
Punch down thoroughly (my loaf came out with a big hole in the center, because I didn't get the bubbles out of it in this step).
Put it in a lightly greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 375 deg F for 20 - 25 min. (makes one large loaf)

It came out yummy and the quinoa gave it an interesting little bit of nubbly-ness. You could add pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, etc in the dough, but I didn't have any on hand.

With the quinoa, eggs, milk powder, it is higher protein than regular bread, but it probably still counts as a carb. :shock:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I learned something new about bread making. I put, flour, yeast, salt, sugar, in a bowl mix well then add hot water. Kneed for about 4 minutes before it gets too stiff to kneed. This is how I use to make bread 50 years ago. Bread has very small holes.

The new way to make bread is proof yeast first for 30 minutes. Mix, flour, salt, sugar in a bowl then add water yeast mixture. Stir well kneed dough it get too stiff to kneed in 1 minutes. Bread has random size holes come as big as a pencil.

Today I made a quick small loaf of bread the old way throw every thing in the bowl stir then add hot water. Kneed 4 minutes until it becomes too stiff to kneed. Bread turned out with small holes like it always did 50 years ago. Texture of bread is different than bread with large holes.

This small loaf was an experiment to make hard crust German bread. After bread rises kneed let it rise again. Cover top of bread with baking soda chemical reaction takes place in the oven bread should be golden brown with bubbles in crust. Crush should be crispy like crackers.

The trick is to use the correct amount of baking soda, not enough no bubbles, too much it tastes like baking soda. Bake at 425 degrees.

When my bread was done and no bubbles I turned heat up to 450 for 5 min then 475 for 5 minutes still no bubbles. Not enough baking soda. 475 made a dark crust. I have made this before using more baking soda it turned out perfect expect for baking soda flavor. Now I wonder if I can waste top of bread with water to remove baking soda favor.? Practice makes perfect.

This bread is very good crust is very crunchy a lot like crackers.

Here are pictures of my bread and a picture of German bread in a basket.
Attachments
100_5686.JPG
100_5687.JPG
100_5688.JPG
26219635_1725979710756093_8451095936083517720_n.png
26219635_1725979710756093_8451095936083517720_n.png (374.61 KiB) Viewed 13643 times

applestar
Mod

Pull-apart rolls — finely chopped organic dried apricot in warm water with proofing yeast ... yogurt whey and full-fat yogurt + hot water, oat bran, white bread flour, finely chopped almonds, sea salt, honey. Proofed twice (more flour, sea salt, and vanilla sugar added) until doubled in a bowl, then pinch/rolled into balls with buttered hands and arranged in buttered Bundt pan, then proofed before baking.

...crispy, crunchy crust, fluffy inside :D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

First bread of the year, on January 1st! Rye, as usual...
ImageFirst bread of 2020 - potato rye. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had to laugh when I saw the bare shelves in the bread section today (actually, in a lot of the sections!).

Here are 3 sourdough rye loaves, that I started 3 days ago. Incredible aroma!
ImageSourdough rye loaves by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

ImageRye bread, with sprouted rye flour. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

OMG that bread smells good!!

I'm baking a type of bread for the first time - using something I have not made before: sprouted rye flour. First, I sprouted the rye, then dehydrated the sprouts, then ground them into flour.
ImageRye berries started sprouting 5-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRye berries sprouting, after just about 8 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSprouted rye, ready to put into the dehydrator, after just 32 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bread that I'm baking started with a soaker, in which the rye sprout flour is soaked overnight with some salt and the buttermilk, as the liquid. A biga is made with a small amount of yeast, plus some water and white bread flour, and that is refrigerated overnight. These are combined the following day, with more yeast, salt, rye flour, and molasses, to make the final dough.

I didn't use any WW flour, just to get the flavor of the sprouted rye, with little to mask it. Now I'm making some sprouted wheat flour - even more of that. I bought 25 lbs each of rye and hard white wheat berries, since I didn't want to go to my usual places to get my whole grain flours. It's been a while since I used my grain mill - I've used the Vitamix for making smaller amounts of flours now for years, but the Nutrimill is better for larger amounts.

The wheat sprouted slower, but it's in the dehydrator now. I started with 6 c of berries - I'll see what that results in.
ImageAbout half of my sprouted wheat, after 28 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSprouted wheat, after 28 hours, around 10 am Monday - slower than the rye berries. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageWheat sprouts, being put in the dehydrator, around 2:00 pm Tuesday. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I baked my first loaf of 2021 bread today - a WW bread, with some oat bran and a few flax seeds. A couple days ago I ground up a new batch of hard white wheat, and that gave me the idea for the bread. Started with a soaker and a biga the night before, and finished a little over 12 hours later.
ImageWW oat bran bread, started night before, soaker on top, biga on bottom. by pepperhead212, on .pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageWW oat bran bread by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We are out of bread & super Walmart 10 miles away is the only store in town that I can find that is open. Tiny snow scares TN people no one goes to work. LOL

I have a new super easy fast way to make bread. Put 2 cups of 100°F water in a bowl. Add 2 T spoons of sugar, 1 tsp of yeast. Yeast will proof very quick in warm water. Stir in 2 cups white flour & 2 tsp salt, the very watery mixture will mix very easy, stir fast about 45 seconds. Add 1 cup white flour mix fast again gluten forms very quick then it gets hard to stir. Kneed in 1 cup of flour let rise until double in size about 55 minutes. Divide dough in 1/2 kneed each loaf 30 seconds put in metal pan to rise about 55 minutes. When dough has risen even with top of pan bake 30 minutes at 350°F for light brown crust. Bread will rise 1' above pan. 375° makes a darker crust. 400° makes a nice dark brown crust. Let bread cool to room temperature it slices much easier. Put bread in refrigerator 6 hours then bread slices so easy it looks like a machine sliced it perfect.

Our new kitchen stove/oven is strange to cook in. It has no burner on bottom. Electric burner on top only. It is called a convection oven. Anything too close to the top burns before it cooks done.
Attachments
100_9256.JPG
100_9252.JPG
100_9251.JPG
100_9253.JPG
100_9254.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Gary,

That is strange, only having a top burner in the oven. Is the bottom one just burned out?

Convection ovens can be great for bread baking. I got the countertop one I still use today in '77, and this is why, when I got the range for my kitchen when I set it up in '83, I had to get a convection oven! They were not in any home ranges that I found, back then (though they are in almost everything now!), and only one commercial brand had them! I'm surprised those loaves you pictured were baked in a convection oven at 350°, because I bake most of mine at 300°, and get a very brown crust! The directions in the original oven said to reduce heat by 75°, or down to 300°, and bake the regular time. Cookies I do at 325°, but this is best for the dry, crunchy types - softer types I do in my other oven.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

pepperhead212 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:46 pm
Gary,

That is strange, only having a top burner in the oven. Is the bottom one just burned out?

Convection ovens can be great for bread baking. I got the countertop one I still use today in '77, and this is why, when I got the range for my kitchen when I set it up in '83, I had to get a convection oven! They were not in any home ranges that I found, back then (though they are in almost everything now!), and only one commercial brand had them! I'm surprised those loaves you pictured were baked in a convection oven at 350°, because I bake most of mine at 300°, and get a very brown crust! The directions in the original oven said to reduce heat by 75°, or down to 300°, and bake the regular time. Cookies I do at 325°, but this is best for the dry, crunchy types - softer types I do in my other oven.
There is no electric heating element in the bottom of the oven, only the top. I read online convection ovens have an air circulating fan. It seems like we are cooking with a broiler. It makes a very big different what level the shelf is on when cooking something. Yesterday I baked cookies in the middle they turned out perfect. Today I baked bread in the middle it cooked very slow. I tried to bake biscuits on a lower shelf they only got warm then after 30 minutes I moved shelf up 3nd notch from the top and biscuits burned outside and raw inside. It takes practice to learn where food needs to be to cook and get done and not burn.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made 2 thick slices of country style fried buttered toast in a hot cast iron skillet, fried 30 seconds on each side like we did when I was in grade school 60 years ago.
Attachments
100_9260.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made more bread today, still can't get to grocery stores. The new technique for making fast bread works great. I am getting more practice using the new oven. Bread cooked 350°F for 45 minutes then turn oven off and leave bread in oven 15 more minutes.
Attachments
100_9324.JPG

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”