Gary350
Super Green Thumb

ARTISAN BREAD

Recipe for 1 loaf of bread
3 1/4 C bread flour
1 1/2 C warm water
3/4 tsp yeast
2 T salt

I put 1 1/2 cups water in a glass mixing bowl then microwaved it 40 seconds. Water is too hot but I am using the water to warm up the cold glass bowl. After about 1 minute water has cooled down to the correct temperature about 100 degrees. Next I added 2 tablespoons of salt and sprinkled 3/4 teaspoon yeast on the water surface. Let yeast dissolves about 2 minutes in the water. Next dump 3 1/4 cup of bread flour in the bowl all at once and stir just enough to get dry flour wet about 60 seconds. Bread can be baked in 2 hours, if you want a good sour dough flavor let dough set over night for 12 hours.

There are lots of recipes for Artisan bread, everyone has their own idea what works best, variations are 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt, salt gives bread flavor the more you add up to a point the better bread tastes, salt to taste. This is a sticky dough put flour on the counter top and your hands. Do not kneed the bread. The professional bread makers stretch the dough, pull dough from both sides to stretch then fold both ends to the center. Rotate 90 degrees pull and fold both ends to center. Do this only about 4 times to stretch the top of the bread loaf smooth so it looks smooth. A lot of videos say, cut slices in the top of the bread this makes it look cute after it is cooked. Lots of recipes call for different types of salt I used table salt.

I still have not got the hang of making a beautiful master piece loaf of bread with this recipe. LOL.

Let dough rise it will double in size about ever hour. Push the dough down fold 2 times let it rise again. After a few hours dough does not double is size anymore get dough in the correct bread shape ball ready to bake if you want to wait 12 hours before cooking.

I use to have an 18"x18" ceramic floor tile in the oven for baking bread but it got dropped on the floor and broken so I am using a cast iron skillet. Put a well seasoned cast iron skillet into the oven turn oven on to 450 degrees F for hard crust, 400 for not so hard crust. Put NO oil or butter in the skillet when oven & skillet are 450 degree about 30 minutes drop dough into hot skillet let it bake 30 minutes at 450 or 35 min at 400. Put a pan of water in the oven to make steam.

This bread is very good. I need to get better at making a nice looking loaf of bread I want to give everyone a loaf of bread for Christmas. This is the easiest bread I ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKwFAipNLQ

I buttered the bread then sliced it, it taste good. Today I make more bread and wait 12 hours before I bake it. This bread was good with breakfast. Sandwiches for lunch and bread for dinner then french toast for breakfast tomorrow.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Cinnamon Rolls again. Winter is a good time to do experiential cooking it is 8 degrees outside.

Bread making rules.
Replace water with milk & add an egg you get softer bread better tasting bread.
Replace some of the flour with oatmeal you get a softer better tasting bread.

This is a basic bread recipe = french or Italian.
3 cup bread flour
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
1 pack yeast

Modified bread recipe for cinnamon rolls.
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup oatmeal flour = Quaker oats in the kitchen blender 60 seconds.
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup powder sugar = 1/4 cup white sugar in coffee grinder 60 seconds.
1 tsp salt
1 pack yeast
1 cup warm milk
1 egg scrambled, with the warm milk, stir with french mixer.

Mix all the dry stuff together then add egg & warm milk mixture.

Kneed dough until stiff coat outside with oil let it rest in warm place about 45 min to 1 hour.

Roll dough out flat about 10" x 16" cover top side of dough with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.

Mix 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon Hershey Cocoa, 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar together then sprinkle over the dough & butter.

Roll the dough up from the 15" long side. Stretch roll if needed to make the diameter even so all the cinnamon rolls will be the same diameter. Cut dough in half, then cut the 2 pieces in half, cut the 4 pieces into 3 pieces each = 12 cinnamon rolls.

Place rolls in a pan let rise until double in size in a warm place 1 hour or so.

Bake at 350 degree F for 20 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes then top with white cream cheese cake frosting.

These are the best cinnamon rolls ever. I did not take pictures because they don't look any different than my other cinnamon roll picture but they taste much better. I will take pics if someone wants pics?

I am going to try this recipe to make yeast donuts = bagels. Only difference is, donuts are deep fried & bagels are cooked in boiling water. I am going to cook them in boiling water like bagels. Then I can eat them like bagels or donuts. I want to avoid fried food. If you want a bagel to look golden brown like a donut bake it 350 degrees until golden brown.

Has anyone heard the new medical info on gluten free? Now doctors say our intestines need gluten. Look for a new flour called, Whole White. Grandson said, "That is racists." LOL. Make your own whole white flour by grinding up wheat.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

100_9207.JPG
This is old school bread. Mix flour, salt, warm water, yeast. Kneed until dough is too stiff to kneed. Let dough rest about 10 minutes then kneed again until it is too stiff to kneed. Let dough rise about 1 hour or until double in size then kneed again until too stiff to kneed. Make loaf bread if you like or just throw the dough on a pizza pan to rise. I see videos where people cut slots into the dough so I used a butter knife just drag it over the dough not trying to cut deep. Turned out good. I had 2 slices with lunch. We had left over containers of beef stew & 15 bean soup in the refrigerator so I mixed them both together it make a great lunch.
Attachments
100_9224.JPG
100_9219.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Learn about all the different kinds of flour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkEp26sck58

Watch this video it is in German you can figure out 95% of what to do watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGTbcZcyvo4

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This is an interesting video about bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5k7H7 ... e=youtu.be

imafan26
Mod

Breadmaking is really an art. I can do spoon breads and some easy breads like zucchini, and carrot, since the added vegetables and fruit help to make the bread softer and keep longer. Yeast breads, are harder. It takes a little more skill and practice to know when a bread dough has been kneaded properly and has the right look and feel to it. I still get better results by letting my mixer do the kneading. I often add to much flour, but I have finally figured out the blistering sign. It is still hard for me to be able to know how much flour to add since the amount can vary by up to a cup depending on the humidity. I learned the hard way bread does not rise well when it is raining.

applestar
Mod

I tried making these rice-cooker rolls. I used mixture of kefir whey and water, half white bread flour and half whole grain white wheat flour.

炊飯器で簡単(•8•)ひよこちぎりパン — Simple with the Rice Cooker (•8•) Chickie Tear-apart Rolls
https://cookpad.com/recipe/4340869
Finished result according to the recipe should look like this:

Mine? ... started out well enough, when I first put their faces on. I didn’t have canned corn or black sesame seeds, so I used pieces of butternut squash and dried cranberries.
Image...but when the rice cooker cycle was done, they turned out like this Image

...haha, I guess I need to practice this recipe some more...

They were delicious though. I put the rest of the butternut squash UNDER the dough, so they were nicely cooked and helped to raise the rolls up to be steamed.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Apple, The last couple of times that I made Chinese steamed rolls I used Atta flour - whole wheat durum flour - to which I added some jasmine rice flour. The atta I used because it doesn't have a lot of flavor, despite being a whole grain. The jasmine flavor definitely comes through with that. I ground it a little finer in my VM, after making the jasmine flour, as the atta was a little coarse.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Breadmaking is really an art. I can do spoon breads and some easy breads like zucchini, and carrot, since the added vegetables and fruit help to make the bread softer and keep longer. Yeast breads, are harder. It takes a little more skill and practice to know when a bread dough has been kneaded properly and has the right look and feel to it. I still get better results by letting my mixer do the kneading. I often add to much flour, but I have finally figured out the blistering sign. It is still hard for me to be able to know how much flour to add since the amount can vary by up to a cup depending on the humidity. I learned the hard way bread does not rise well when it is raining.
You are right. There are so many different breads it takes practice to get each one right. Old school bread like grandmother made works best for me. You need a proven recipe that someone else has tweaked and gotten it perfect or you need to make bread every day until you tweak your own recipe. Measuring cup is not as accurate at scales. I finally broke down and bought a digital scale on ebay $10 free postage. Year ago scales were not this cheap. There are 3 kinds of flour, soft, medium, hard. Soft is for cake & pastries. Bread flour is hard wheat flour.

Here is a recipe to try, 3 cups warm 100 degree bread flour, 1 5/8 cup warm 100 degree water, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp yeast. Microwave flour in one container an water in different glass mixing bowl to 100 degrees. Add sugar & yeast to warm water stir until dissolved. Slowly stir in flour, 1 cup at first then 1/2 cup each time after that, stir well each time. Kneed dough until it is too stiff to kneed then let it rest 5 minute until it becomes soft enough to kneed again. Do this over and over for 1 hour.

I like rapid rise yeast because it is fast but I think slower yeast has a better flavor. The trick to good bread is to knead it the correct length of time. If you have a bread dough mixer 10 minutes is usually about right. If you kneed by hand it will take a while. Above recipe starts out sticky do not add much extra flour the longer you kneed the less sticky the dough becomes. After an hour of kneading dough it becomes very elastic. Dough should stretch 3 ft long without breaking. Another test is to pull the dough try to stretch it thin as paper if it will stretch thin enough that you can see light through the bread dough it is perfect. Next form dough into the shape you want, round, loaf, twist, rolls. Trick is stretch dough pull from all sides to the back side to make front side look beautiful.

Bakers have steam cabinets for dough to rise double in size, I don't have that at home. Sometimes I put a gallon of boiling water on bottom self of oven with dough on center shelf with oven off and door closed to rise. Sometimes I put bread dough on top of a warm stove to rise. Sometimes heat a gallon of water to about 180 degrees set dough pan on top of hot water pan covered with towel to rise. When dough is double in size push on dough with your finger if dough bounces back it is ready to bake. If you push dough with finger and it does not bounce back it has raised too much or you did not kneed dough enough.

I use to make loaf bread, sometimes rolls, sometimes cinnamon rolls, but now days I let the dough ball rise on a flat pan it looks like half a ball shape after it is baked. My grandmother use to coat the entire dough with butter, some people use oil, this makes a nice light brown color bread with soft crust. For a darker crispy crust brush the finished raised dough with a clean dry paint brush to remove all the loose flour dist. After all the loose flour is removed paint the dough with water. Give it a very good coating of water. Save an old Windex bottle use it to spray water on your bread dough. Water gives you a darker crispy crust. If you want a harder darker German style crust dissolve 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1/4 cup water paint bread dough with baking soda water.

I bought a 12" square ceramic floor tile at Lowe's for 50 cents I put it in the oven for my baking stone, large cast iron skillet works too. Put baking stone on medium shelf, put empty large flat pan on bottom shelf. Set oven at 350 degrees F to get hot. I set my dough on hot baking stone then pour 1 cup water into the large pan, cook it 350 degrees 30 minutes. If your baking bread in a loaf pan set it in the oven, put water in the cookie sheet pan, bake 350 for 30 minutes. The above recipe works at this temperature but if you make a different recipe that is larger or smaller cook time will change. I have to make bread every day to learn how to make bread turn out perfect each time. 40 years ago I baked bread every day but now I am out of practice I have a very hard time getting a perfect loaf of bread. Bakers that make large batches of bread weigh each piece of dough to get the perfect size bread loaf.

There are lots of things you can do to bread, use milk and 1 eggs in place of water you get a softer bread. Replace 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup oatmeal you get very soft bread with different flavor. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons corn meal to any recipe you get a different flavor. Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar to make a sweeter bread. Replace 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour with Hershey Coco for pumpernickel. I use to have a bread making book not sure what ever happened to it but these days do Google search. I am thinking very serious about making 1 loaf of bread tomorrow. I like hard dark crispy crust bread but wife likes it soft as a pastry. I might make a half & half loaf, hard & crispy on 1 side, soft on other side.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made a nice loaf of bread today. This is a good example what happens if you don't make bread very often I forgot this recipe makes 2 loaves of bread. I need to make better notes. After mixing the dough I kneeded it every 5 minutes for an hour. I put dough in center of a 10" cast iron skillet then we left for the grocery store then lunch at a restaurant. We arrived home bread dough had filled the whole skillet. I am not changing it now it should have been 2 loaves of bread. I could still push the dough down, divide it in 1/2, kneed each 1/2 then let it rise to make 2 loaves. Nothing wrong with this it will make larger garlic bread for dinner. Wife chopped garlic cooked it in butter then put it on 3 slices of bread that I cut.
Attachments
100_2056.JPG
100_2062.JPG
100_2080.JPG
100_2082.JPG
100_2083.JPG
100_2084.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made 2 loaves of bread & pizza dough today. I made a 1 loaf recipe for white bread & 1 loaf recipe for 100% whole wheat bread and a 1/2 loaf recipe of white bread for pizza dough. I put some of my home grown chopped oregano in the pizza dough. After kneeding the bread dough I put them in 2 greased glass baking pans. I put 3" of hot tap water in the kitchen sink then set the bread baking dishes in the 100 degree water. This new method of proofing the dough works great it only took 45 minutes for the bread to rise & be ready to bake. While bread was baking I pushed the pizza dough out on the greased pizza pan. Let pizza dough rest on the pan for 30 minutes before baking so dough does not contract and get smaller. I baked the bread 35 minutes at 350 degrees F, after removing bread from oven I coated it with butter. I cooked the pizza dough then wife made a pizza. Wow pizza doesn't get any better than this we are using an real Italian Pizza recipe. After both breads cooled it was time to cut an taste the bread. This is the best 100% whole wheat bread recipe I ever made.

White bread recipe is, 3 Cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 3 T sugar. Proof the yeast, 1 2/3 Cup of 100 deg F water, 1 tsp sugar dissolved in water. 1 tsp yeast dissolved in water. Mix flour into water 1/2 cup each time. Kneed every 5 minutes for 1 hour. Bake 350 deg F 1 hr. This makes 2 loafs of bread or 1 large round cow pile. Also makes excellent yeast rolls, donuts, and cinnamon rolls.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I can't say enough about how good this new recipe for 100% whole wheat bread is. Wife & I both had a slice of both breads with breakfast. Here is the recipe. The trick to this recipe is proofing the yeast, proofing the bread, steam in the oven.

1 Cup 105 degree F water.
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
Stir to dissolve sugar into the water then sprinkle yeast on top of the water. After 5 minutes stir to dissolve yeast into the water. About 15 minutes later water will have yeast foam on the top surface. If your yeast does not foam up you have bad yeast.

1 1/2 cups of 100% whole wheat flour heated to 105 degrees in glass bowl so the bowl is 105 degrees also.
1 T kitchen type table salt.
1 T sugar
Stir salt & sugar into the flour.

Heat a glass mixing bowl to 105 degrees then pour in the yeast water mixture. Add 1/2 cup of flour each time. Stir very well in the yeast water each time.

Kneed dough about 2 minutes or until it becomes too stiff to kneed.

Put about 3" of 105 degree F tap water in kitchen sink, almost enough water to float the glass bowl with dough, set glass bowl in the warm water with towel over the dough. Let dough rise 45 minutes or until double in size.

Kneed bread 30 seconds or until too stiff to kneed. Make a ball let it rise 30 minutes or until double in size in 105 degree F water in kitchen sink. If water temperature has cooled add more hot water.

Flatten dough about to 7" x 10" then roll up dough so the roll is about 7" long. Place dough in greased pan. Push dough down to force it to take the shape of the pan filling the pan corners.

Place bread loaf pan in kitchen sink in 105 degree F water if water has cooled add more hot water. Cover dough with towel let it rise 30 minutes or until double in size.

Turn kitchen oven on in advance so it is 350 degrees F when bread is ready to be baked. Put an empty water pan on oven bottom shelf have it read.

When dough has raised about 1" above the pan but not hanging over the sides of the pan it is ready to bake.

Coat the top surface of the dough with melted butter. Put bread pan in oven then add 1 cup water to the empty water pan. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. If your using a glass baking pan add 10 extra minutes to the bake time.

Remove bread from pan then put the loaf of bread back into the oven with no pan bake 5 to 10 more minutes to brown the crust on sides and bottom.

Remove bread from oven then coat the whole loaf with butter.

Let bread cool before you slice.
Attachments
100_2111.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made 2 loaves of Old Milwaukee rye bread today, which is probably the yeast bread that I have baked more than any other. I have tweaked it through the years - bread flour and instant yeast were not found in retail stores when I started making this, and dark rye flour is still not found everywhere. The original recipe was in Bernard Clayton Jr.'s book The Complete Book Of Breads, printed in 1973. I think I got it, in '76, and have been baking this ever since!
ImageOld Milwaukee rye by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old Milwaukee Rye Bread
2 3/4 cup(s) water
2 1/2 tsp yeast, instant
3 tb oil
2 tb caraway seeds
1/4 cup(s) blackstrap molasses
1 large egg (I often leaves this out, and add 3 more tb of water)
1 tb salt
4 cup(s) dark rye flour
4 1/2 cup(s) bread flour

Directions:

A. Preferment: Up to three days (I almost always do the three!) before bake day, combine 1 1/2 c water, 1 tsp yeast, 2 c rye flour, and 1 tb caraway; mix well, cover, and let rise at room temp. to sour.

B. On bake day: stir in the remaining yeast, rye flour, caraway, and water, along with the molasses, egg, oil, and salt. Stir in 5c bread flour, and set aside 15 min. Mix in remaining bread flour, 1 c at a time, saving last 1/2 c if needed. Knead 6-7 min with dough hook. Place dough in a large oiled bowl, and roll around to coat. Let rise 1 1/2-2 hrs. at room temp., or until doubled. Punch down and let rest while greasing three 8 1/2"x4 1/2" pans, or two 9"x5" pans. Divide evenly and place in pans, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 45 min. May be made into free-standing loaves, as well. Slash 3-4 times with these. 15 min before rise is finished, preheat oven to 375º, 325º in a convection oven.

C. Bake 45-50 min., 40-45 min. in the convection oven. Cool on a wire rack.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Date Nut Orange Cinnamon quick bread Muffins

This new recipe looks good today I am going to see how good it really is.

Dry material
1 Cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 Cup dark brown sugar packed
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup chopped dates = $1.99 lb at Aldi's = $6.99 at Walmart = $5.99 Kroger

Liquid material
1 egg scrambled
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk or white milk plus 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice.
1/3 cup orange juice
1 T orange peal graded
5 T melted butter

Stir bowl of liquid into bowl of dry material. Do not mix more than you need to or dough becomes stiff.

Makes 12 muffins

Bake 375 degrees F for 20 minutes. Test with tooth pick to make sure they are done. Cool 5 minutes.

Wife and I sat at table we had a muffin, butter & coffee. Wife said, that was so good I'm going to eat another one. I said, me too. We ate 2 muffins now we are not hungry for lunch. :)

After eating another yummy muffin for bedtime snack I decided they need more nuts and more dates and a few chocolate chips might be good too. Next time I make this recipe I will add, 1 cup nuts, 1 1/2 cup dates, 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Attachments
100_2161.JPG
100_2162.JPG
100_2164.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I made 2 loaves of whole wheat bread again this turned out the be so good wife wants more and I do too.

This time I am trying something different. One loaf I substituted 1/4 cup wheat flour for 1/4 cup white bread flour I hope this might allow bread to rise better an faster. The other bread loaf is same as the recipe listed.

I knead both bread dough loaves with white flour I hope having white flour on the outer surface will make a golden brown crust.

I am also baking the bread hotter at 375 degrees F to see what that does to the crust I'm hoping for thicker darker crust.

Recipe for 1 loaf
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 T salt
1 T sugar

1 cup 105 degree water
1 tsp sugar dissolved in the warm water
2 tsp yeast
When yeast foams up add liquid to flour mixture.

Knead dough until stiff then knead 3 more times. Place dough in a bowl.
Put 3" hot water in kitchen sink place bowl in hot water for dough to rise.
Let rise in bowl 45 min or until double in size.
Knead dough until stiff then knead 3 more times then put dough in bowl.
Replace cold sink water with more hot water.
Place bowl in hot sink water to rise 30 min or double in size
Knead dough until stiff then knead 3 more times form into a bread loaf place in greased bread pan.
Push dough down into the pan force dough into all the corners.
Paint top of bread loaf with butter. Put sprinkles on top of the dough, oats, seeds, herbs, nuts, etc.
After a good coating of butter I sprinkled on dill seeds and oat meal.
Replace cold sink water with more hot water.
Put bread pan in hot sink water about 1 hour or double in size.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or bread is golden brown.
Cool 5 to 10 minutes remove bread from pan.

WOW bread is much better than before. Bread has a darker brown crust outside, crust inside the pan is brown too.
WOW the first slice looks very good and bread taste good too. To me there is nothing better then fresh baked home made bread. This is better than, pastry, pie, cake, or anything I can think of.
I did a better job of kneading this time when dough was stiff I pushed hard forcing dough flat so I could fold it again. I did that 3 times each time I kneaded the bread. I am starting to get the hang of bread making again. A good recipe and a little practice is all it takes. Both loaves turned out very good better than any bread I have made in a very long time.

My experiment with white flour on 1 loaf made no differences both loaves turned out identical.
Attachments
100_2168.JPG
100_2170.JPG
100_2172.JPG
100_2173.JPG
100_2174.JPG
100_2175.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I made 2 more loaves of 100% whole wheat bread. I made 1 loaf into, cinnamon, raisin, nut bread.

Proof 1 teaspoon of yeast in 1 cup 100 degree F water with 1 tsp of sugar for 15 minutes.

1 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp salt
Microwave to 100 degrees F

1 T cinnamon
1/2 cup currents
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Mix all dry ingredient then add yeast water.

Kneed until dough is stiff let rise in 100 degree F bread incubator 1 hour or double in size.

Kneed until dough it stiff form into a bread loaf push down into greased bread pan force dough to fill corners. Let rise in bread incubator 1 hour 100 degree F for 1 hour or double in size. Paint top with melted butter.

Bake 30 minutes in 375 degree F oven. Cool paint dough with melted butter.

I found baby chicken plastic incubators on Ebay $64 they appear to be large enough for only 1 loaf of bread.
Attachments
100_2231.JPG
100_2230.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

LOOK..........Bread proofing box for 2 loaves of bread.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/product ... QoQAvD_BwE

applestar
Mod

Ooh I’ve seen this design— I love that it folds flat for storage. Really enjoy clever designs like this.
Depending on temp control, they can also be used for yogurt culture and cheese making

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

In the 'what I learned this year' category, there's this:

If you bake bread (or anything?) in pans, you can line the pans with dry parchment instead of oiling them. The loaves come out easy and there's nothing to clean up. The parchment can be left in place and used over & over - near indefinitely.

We use a bread machine for the kneading and first rises, then rise about an hour in pans & bake in the oven. It's a 3-cup - 1 lb? - machine but we load it with twice that & make 2 loaves. The machine has lasted for several years & doesn't complain, but the double dose of dough can rise enough to push up at the lid if I'm too generous with the yeast.

Here's my standard recipe. We call it potato bread. I'm not persnickety about the quantities and adjust with flour or water once the machine is kneading, to get the consistency I like.

Ingredients:
4c. whole wheat flour
1c. white flour
2Tb. sugar
2Tb. butter
2 tsp. salt
2.5 tsp. dry yeast
1c. mashed potato
1-1/3 c. potato water (original recipe called for milk)

This is my procedure; yours could vary:

Boil potato & drain saving 1-1/3 c. of the water (can make up if not enough.)
Mash 1c. potato with 2Tb butter, add back the 1-1/3 c. water, mix & let cool.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Into the machine: half the potato mix, half the dry ingreds; repeat.
Run the machine on dough cycle (mine is 1.5 hours)
Divide dough in 2, roll each out on floured board to remove bubbles.
Form each to a rough rectangle and roll it up like a jelly roll.
Place rolled dough 'seam down' in parchment-lined pans. Let rise at least 1hr.
Bake 35 minutes at 350F.

The original recipe also included an egg. I sometimes add garlic & other herbs to the dry ingredients.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today I baked a batch (2 loaves) of sourdough rye, which I started 4 days ago, because I had to refresh the starter, which was unused for a long time. I had a sandwich on it today, and will have more tomorrow - quick meals while making more cookie dough today, and baking them tomorrow.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I only made 1 loaf of 100% whole wheat Cinnamon Raisin bread today we are still trying to find the exact flavor we like. 3/4 cup of currents is finally the correct amount per loaf. I added an extra 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour to make a slightly larger loaf so it will fill the loaf pan, next time I try 1/2 cup extra whole wheat flour. 1 tablespoon of cinnamon is still not enough the problem is $10 per lbs cinnamon has less flavor than a $7 bottle for 2 ounce cinnamon. Bright red cinnamon that looks almost like chili power has a stronger cinnamon flavor. This time I used less yeast for a long slow rise it took all day for this loaf to rise keeping it warm 100 degree. Finally 9:15 pm last night loaf was large enough to bake 350 deg, the long slow rise makes bread taste like sour dough and gives it a better texture too. Next time I will do a sour dough starter. I think the bread is good, wife wants more cinnamon and more sugar. I want to avoid sugar so we will try honey next time. Toppings are, sun flour seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, it looks nice but adds nothing to flavor. Next time I will put 1/2 cup mixed seeds in the bread dough. Butter on dough before baking makes soft crust and very dark color, it also makes seeds stick like glue. Next time I want a light golden brown color.
Attachments
100_2286.JPG
100_2288.JPG
100_2289.JPG
100_2290.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Looks great, Gary! As for your cinnamon dilemma, I have found the cinnamon (and other spices, as well)from the online spice companies to be more powerful than the supermarket cinnamon, due to faster turnover. And if you want even stronger cinnamon, look for the Vietnamese cinnamon.
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ ... p-955/pd-s

applestar
Mod

I second Vietnamese cinnamon — totally different aroma, too. Very nice. If you compare, the regular cinnamon smells woodsy — what are these, sticks from out in the garden? :roll: — and the Vietnamese cinnamon smells like what a proper spice should. Haha. I’ve been out of the V cinnamon for a while now, so I’m back to being used to the other cinnamon, however. Now I want to get some. :()
I had anko — adzuki bean jam — leftover From the NY celebration sweets, so I made 餡饅 (an man) — anko-filled steamed dumpling buns.
...only 4 out of 8 left, but here they are. Normally they are pure white, but of course I made mine with whole white wheat and bread flours, so they turned out this tan-color :wink:

In Japan, if these had been made with sweet dinner roll-type recipe, usually about hamburger roll sized, and baked — they would be called アンパン or 餡パン (an pan)

applestar
Mod

OK you tempted me into baking a loaf of bread. :()

Typical throw things together and mix until it looks about right recipe — 2:3 white bread flour and whole wheat + 1-2 Tbs potato starch, handful of old fashioned oatmeal, vanilla sugar, honey and molasses, active dry yeast, sea salt, kefir and whey, and a splash of apple cider... then ground up flax seeds/chia seeds/coconut flakes, brown sugar, and shaved butter worked into the dough. Sunflower oil used for coating the doughball for first proofing, 2nd proofing in the butter and Sunflower oil coated pan — both using the proofing function of the new toaster oven at 86°F. Baked with a tray of hot water on the bottom rack at 350 for 40 minutes, 325 for last 10 minutes.

As you can see, I over-proofed it and it rose way over the top of the pan and collapsed on one side. But it turned out very light and soft... and yummy! :D

...I was scrolling through this thread and came back to my latest loaf of bread — oh wow mine looks so lopsided compared to the rest of the beauties :oops:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday I built a bread proofing box from stuff I already had in the work shop, 3/16" plywood, thermostat from electric wall heater, 2 light fixtures, 2 incandescent light bulbs 100 watts each, dry wall screws, electric cord from old junk TV, and my wine making thermometer. I call it my Bread Incubator it weights about 7 lbs. It is basically free, 2 hours work and it saved me $176.00 not buying the 1 wife found at Amazon.

Today I tested the bread proofing box with temperature set at 95 degrees F. Wow this is the fastest loaf of bread I every made. I proofed the yeast in 1 cup sugar water, mixed the dough, put dough in the incubator, 45 minutes later I rolled the dough out flat 8" wide about 16" long, sprinkled on the currents & seeds. Rolled the dough up, incubated it 45 minutes in the baking dish then cooked it 30 minutes in the oven. Covered loaf top with butter & seeds. Bread cooled 15 minutes then sliced it into double thick slices for breakfast.

I built the proofing box large enough to hold a 9"x12" cake pan full of 15 cinnamon rolls or 3 loaves of bread, or a large double loaf cow pile or 15 dinner rolls.
Attachments
100_2316.JPG
100_2315.JPG
100_2313.JPG
100_2309.JPG
100_2308.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

MORE whole wheat Bread. Today I put 1/4 cup black strap molasses in the flour mix instead of 1 tablespoon of sugar for the yeast rise it added a nice flavor. This is the second time I used my home made proofing box temperature was 95 to 105 degrees F this time. Bread dough grew quick as magic it made a good loaf of bread. I put no butter on the outside of this bread, I used a brush to paint dough with water so seeds would stick before baking at 350. Whole wheat bread for breakfast every morning is helping my blood sugar problem. This loaf was 1 1/2 cups whole wheat plus 1/2 cup bread flour with 1 1/4 teaspoon salt. I threw about 1/8 cup flax seed and poppy seeds into the flour mix. I have the best luck with a 2 rise bread, today I did not kneed the dough for the 2nd rise I only pushed it down then stretched it out about 20" long 8" wide to be rolled up from one end and baked. No butter or oil on the outside of the dough this time. Rise was much faster and bread turned out better. Bread cooled 10 minutes, I dumped it out of the pan and sliced it thick while bread was still hot. It is interesting how little things like not kneeding the second rise make such a big improvement in the bread and painting the dough with water when it is stretched out 20" long before rolling it up makes all the layers stick together. Bread has a nice round top that did not fall during the bake.
Attachments
100_2366.JPG
100_2367.JPG
100_2370.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:48 am, edited 8 times in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made some bread today - good day for baking, since it was a cold, dreary day. It was a Potato Rye, with some ground golden flax seeds in it, and I made it with some whey I had from making some Greek yogurt, so that gave it some tang. Not a two or three day bread - just a simple two rise bread, with almost all whole grain (the last cup of flour added to the bowl while "kneading" is bread flour, just so it doesn't get too dry). I also added a tb of nigella seeds, along with all those 2 tb of caraway seeds, so it's loaded with seeds! I got two 32 oz and one 26 oz loaf from this dough.

Dough, finished kneading:
ImageIMG_20190119_153234187 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dough back in bowl, ready to rise:
ImageIMG_20190119_155131547 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dough, finished first rise:
ImageIMG_20190119_183618533 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Loaves, ready for second rise:
ImageIMG_20190119_184405829 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Loaves ready for baking:
ImageIMG_20190119_195606426 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pans removed from oven:
ImageIMG_20190119_205309437 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Loaves cooling:
ImageIMG_20190119_205500109 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Next down from fresh squeezed O.J., I love home made bread. You fresh loaves look sooooo good, Pepperhead.
My Mom used to make home made bread and cinnamon rolls to die for. I miss that.

applestar
Mod

Do biscuits count?

Flaky biscuits made with whey

This was one of those things you can’t help making “nom-nom” noises as you eat. :D

Inspiration recipe: https://saladinajar.com/family-recipes/ ... f-cinnamon

Mods —
- Made with white whole wheat, sub 1/4 cup with corn starch, sea salt
- 1/2 cup kefir whey with 1/4 cup kefir
- 6 Tbs unsalted frozen butter cut in 4 long bars and thinly sliced, and 2 Tbs virgin cold coconut oil, hand cut in
- ground cinnamon and home made vanilla sugar layered with additional 1 Tbs shaved unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts layered into last tri-fold
- Cut into 16 cubes
- Brushed with another 1 Tbs melted unsalted butter before baking, then after baking, with mixture of leftover melted butter and cinnamon vanilla sugar, organic molasses, about 1 Tbs leftover chopped walnuts, my blackberry sauce, 1/2 dropperful my own toasted hazelnut extracted in rum

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today after lunch I decided to have fun in the kitchen. I made, pizza dough, cinnamon roll dough, and dough for bagels. My homemade bread dough proofing box made quick work of this.

Roll out pizza dough, cover with your favorite toppings, then roll it up. Wife cooked Italian sausage in the skillet with onion, garlic, Italian herbs, cheese plus pepperonis on the dough. I made the dough, let it rise 1 hours then rolled it out flat to fit a pan. As it turned out pan was too small or pizza roll was too big. After baking 40 minutes on 350 it was ready to eat. Wife had pizza sauce hot and I cut the pizza roll into several pieces. Put a slice on your plate then cover it with as much sauce as you want. Sprinkle on some cheese and its ready to eat.

Pizza dough bread recipe is, 1 3/4 cups bread flour, 1 cup warm water, 1 big teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon yeast. Mix, kneed, rise 1 hr or double in size, roll dough out flat, cover dough with topping, cook and eat.
Attachments
100_2400.JPG
100_2399.JPG
100_2398.JPG
100_2395.JPG
100_2394.JPG
100_2393.JPG
100_2390.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Part 2 more pictures.

I decide to make 1/2 recipe of dough for bagels. 1 C bread flour, 1/2 cup warm water, 3/4 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp yeast. Mix, kneed, let rise 1 hr or double in size. Form into balls let rise until double in size. Slightly flatten dough ball then poke hole through center to form a donut shape. Let rise until double in size. Boil in water 2 minutes on each side. Top with seeds then bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes on top side then 10 minutes on the other side.

I also made 1/2 recipe of bread dough for a small batch of cinnamon rolls. Same recipe at bagels. Roll out dough, cover with 1/2 stick melted butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cinnamon. Roll up then cut into 2" long pieces. Rise until double in size, spray top with butter, bake 350 for 20 minutes. Top with frosting. I microwaved a container of white cream cheese cake frosting then drizzled it over the cinnamon rolls.
Attachments
100_2409.JPG
100_2404.JPG
100_2397.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Part 3

WOW these Bagels are GOOD. I love how crispy the crust is. I cut a bagel in 1/2, butter each 1/2, toasted them in the toaster. I'm not sure I want to make anymore bread for breakfast, I only want bagels I am spoiled now. Why does a bagel need a hole in the center. With no hole is it still a bagel. Maybe with practice holes will get easier. Next time I will make a few bagels with no holes. Next time I think the whole bread loaf recipe will be all bagels. I will need to modify my bread proofing box with 3 shelves for 12 bagels. I baked at 350 F 20 minutes. Recipe says bake 425 F or 100 C for 15 minutes.

Cinnamon Rolls turned out great. I only had 1/3 of a bread dough recipe to work with, I rolled dough too thin but it still made good cinnamon rolls. Bake 350 F 20 minutes.
Attachments
100_2412.JPG
100_2413.JPG
100_2414.JPG
100_2416.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This morning 1/27/19 I was out of bed at 4am, breakfast at 7am, bagel snack at 9:30 am, I can't get over how good these bagels are. Today I need to find 3 pans at Dollar Tree or Walmart that will fit into my bread incubator box to grow bagels. This recipe is, white bread flour, salt, sugar, water, yeast.

This morning 1/28/19 I ate my 3rd bagel. Wow it is just as good as the other 2. Tomorrow I eat the last bagel then need to bake 10 or 12 more. My bread dough proofing box will need to be larger other wise it will take all day rising and baking 4 bagels each time. Pictures will be out of order unless I delete them and upload them again.
Attachments
Monday
Monday
Monday
Monday
Monday
Monday
Sunday
Sunday
Sunday
Sunday

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I whipped up a recipe for making bagels. After kneeding dough and it doubled in side I pushed it down, cut in 10 pieces, rolled into balls, pushed balls flat on the baking pans then poked a hole in center with my finger. After double in size I removed bagels from proofing oven and they all degassed and fell flat. I think I let them raise too much, also I did not spray them with oil to help hold in the gas I want the crust to be crispy so I painted them with water. Oh well maybe I get better with practice. Wife wanted cheese topping on some and I want seeds on some. They turned out GOOD anyway. We will enjoy these for breakfast for several days.

This recipe is.
1 cup warm water in a bowl.
1 teaspoon yeast in bowl.
1 tablespoon of bark brown sugar in bowl.
1 cup bread flour in bowl.
Stir very well let rise to activate the yeast.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
Kneed until dough is stiff.
Let rise in warm place until double in size

Kneed dough, cut into 10 pieces, roll into balls, flatten into pancakes, poke hole in center.
Spray dough with oil, put topping on bagels, let rise until double in side.

Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees F
Attachments
100_2468.JPG
100_2467.JPG
100_2466.JPG
100_2465.JPG
100_2464.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Does anyone think of pancakes as bread. Pancakes are actually called, quick bread. This is one of our favorite breakfasts at the camp ground. Griddle is perfect for cooking a whole breakfast the trick is timing. Start hash brown potatoes first, then bacon, then pancakes & eggs, they all finished cooking at the same time & breakfast is ready.

I made 1/2 a recipe = 6 pancakes & used a 1/4 cup measuring spoon to dip and pour batter on the griddle.

Recipe
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
Whisk in a medium bowl

2 cups warm buttermilk or milk with 1 tsp vinegar added.
2 T butter melted
2 eggs
When butter melts into the milk whip in the eggs then stir into the flour mixture. Do not fool around make pancakes now other wise you do not get light fluffy pancakes.

Pour batter on 325 degree F griddle, when they start to bubble flip them over. They are ready to eat when other side is golden brown about 2 or 3 minutes.

We are not having hash brown potatoes today we decided to eat an extra pancake instead. We have homemade blackberry syrup, homemade strawberry syrup, real maple syrup. This is a fast breakfast it takes 10 minutes to cook once the pancake batter is mixed. You can mix, chopped nuts, oatmeal, seeds, raisins, blueberries, blackberries, chocolate chips, etc into the batter if you like.
Attachments
100_2495.JPG
100_2494.JPG
100_2493.JPG

applestar
Mod

Quick rolls made with 1/2 cup rye flour, 1-1/2 cup white bread flour, and 1 cup whole white wheat, yeast and salt, a little kefir and raw honey plus the water. This recipe used no oils. Brushed with egg wash with toasted sesame seeds mixed in before baking.

Very good accompaniment to simple chicken soup made with chicken thighs, onions, carrots, celery, yellow potatoes and carrots.

—-

Subject: No Knead Bread
applestar wrote:I forgot about this thread. The rolls I made today are “no knead”. Very wet shaggy dough, still sticky when you stretch and pinch into balls and arranged on parchment - lined baking sheet.

Baked in pre-heated 450°F oven, with a tray of hot water on bottom rack, but I lowered temp to 425 after 5 min, and finished at 325 for the last 10 min. Maybe because I’m using a convection toaster oven and not a full size

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar, those rolls look good. Grocery store baking supply section gets smaller and smaller I can not find Rye flour anymore. Did you do anything special to make seeds stick to the outside?

I am trying to learn different bread making techniques. So far I have not learned how to make seeds stick like glue. Lots of seeds fall off after baking. Maybe there is no way to make all seeds stay permanently stuck.

German Bread looks very good.

I am learning about different types of crust. Hotter temperature makes darker crisper crust. Egg wash makes darker crust, Water wash makes a dry crispy crunchy crust. Sugar water wash makes much darker color crust. Baking soda water wash makes a very dark very crunchy crust. Butter or oil makes a darker soft chewy crust.

There is technique to use a round basket with flour soaked cloth inside to allow bread to rise with seam side up. After bread rises dump it directly onto a cookie sheet to bake. This makes a large round load.
Attachments
I wish I could go here and buy bread.  Wish I knew how to make all these breads.
I wish I could go here and buy bread. Wish I knew how to make all these breads.
I have no clue how to make all these seeds permanently stick.  My seeds fall off soon as I cut the bread.  Maybe a bread saw will work better than a bread knife.
I have no clue how to make all these seeds permanently stick. My seeds fall off soon as I cut the bread. Maybe a bread saw will work better than a bread knife.
This is German baking soda wash crust, 1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1/3 cup warm water. Bake at 450 degrees to 500 degrees.  Cuts in bread dough allow crust to open and bread to rise while baking.
This is German baking soda wash crust, 1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1/3 cup warm water. Bake at 450 degrees to 500 degrees. Cuts in bread dough allow crust to open and bread to rise while baking.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Wow, those look fabulous.

I mixed the sesame seeds into the eggwash, dunking them down until coated. I didn’t have any basis for doing this, just did. But maybe it DOES help them to stick onto the bread?

I brushed on just before putting the tray in the hot oven. I used a silicone pastry brush and scooped the seeds up between the bristles, which actually didn’t pick up very many. I was in a hurry so let it go, but maybe more would stay on the bread if you spoon the eggwash on.

I suppose, you might roll the dough in a tray of seeds, too? But seeds put on before final rise tend to get pushed off the surface by the dough as the bread finishes rising.... Maybe you could take nearly finished baking bread, and glue on with egg wash, then finish baking?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I screwed up but you would never guess that. I started out making 2 loaves of bread. 1 is 70% whole wheat, the other is 50% whole wheat. After the dough was finished and risen until double in size I decided 2 loaves of bread are boring I want to do something different.

I divided to cut the 70% whole wheat loaf in half. One 1/2 loaf became cinnamon current bread. Wife does not want seeds on the cinnamon current bread so I sprinkled it with oatmeal. The other 1/2 loaf has a German baking soda wash with seeds.

I started out with 10 biscuits they are too small. I changed it to 8 they look too small also. I changed it to 6 this looks better. I put German baking soda water wash on the 2 smallest biscuits. I put sugar water wash on the 2 medium size biscuits. The 2 largest biscuits have plane water wash.

Well darn..........no way to get this all in my bread proofing box in 1 batch. I ran out to the work shop and cut a piece of aluminum then bent it to the correct shape to fit in the bread proofing box. Hurry back into the house to put the bread dough on it.

40 minutes later bread is double in size. Ok I screwed up again there is no way to bake the German bread & sugar water wash bread at 450 degrees and the rest of the bread at 350 degrees at the same time. So I decided to cook everything at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes.

I decided to experiment with cutting slots in the top for 3 biscuits after I sprinkled them with a variety of seeds.

I put the tray in the oven 25 minutes later bread is finished baking. Razor blade cuts did not do much they must need to be deeper. Bread all turned out good but German bread looks the same as all the others. I was wanting some of that hard crunchy German crust. Oh well it will all be good anyway.

Now bread is cool and ready to eat but in the panic to run out to the workshop and make a tray I forgot to spray the aluminum tray with oil for baking the bread. Only 2 biscuits were slightly stuck all the others came right off.

Applestar too late to try your idea I try it next time, egg wash & seeds. Does cooked egg need to be refrigerated?
Attachments
After spraying with butter.
After spraying with butter.
After baking.
After baking.
Before baking.
Before baking.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

How do you SPRAY with butter? Do you use clarified butter? What a difference the butter spray makes :D

I bought the rye flour at Whole Foods. I used to mail order specialty flours from King Arthur, but Whole Foods stocks most of the KA flours I like, as well as Bob’s Red Mill flours and Pamela’s gluten free ones I’m interested in trying.

These are rye hard-rolls I made based on this rice cooker recipe (it’s in Japanese, but it has step by step photos and maybe your browser can run a translation) :arrow: https://cookpad.com/recipe/255469

Mine is older, one of the earliest in the computerized rice cooker line up. I believe most modern multi-pot and maybe insta-pot can do the same thing?

— I divided the dough into 8 so the rolls are smaller and mushed into odd shapes. You can see one of the quick rolls I made before among the 200g rye/100g white bread flour hard rolls.

I came across this article while looking around for rye bread proofing and baking temperatures. If you haven’t seen it, I bet you’ll be interested, too. :wink:

BAKING WiTh RYE - The devil's in the Chemistry. By Stanley Ginsberg
https://theryebaker.com/wp-content/Ginsb ... .24.02.pdf

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”