imafan26
Mod

Re: BREAD, post Photos and Recipes here.

I have only made bread a few times and it still comes out like it is not cooked. It tastes ok once it is toasted. What am I doing wrong?

On a rainy day when the humidity is 100% do I have to use more or less flour?

Anybody got a recipe for Sally Lunn brown and serve rolls? I had a recipe for Sally Lunn mini loaves that I could partially bake and freeze to make brown and serve rolls. I can't find that recipe now.

How long will bread keep outside and in the freezer?

applestar
Mod

Runner bean and walnut-rosemary bread baked in a bundt pan

(Hazelnut MEAL loaf cake on the right)

1/2 of the Basic no knead buttermilk bread recipe with following mods --
- 1 cup water, 1 cup frozen green runner beans, blended, then heated with 2 Tbs butter until boiling. Pour into 1 cup kefir whey
- unsulfured molasses for sugar
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, 2 cups bread flour, 2 cups white whole wheat
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- butter and evoo bundt pan and flour with cornmeal and finely minced fresh rosemary
- first rise in 8 cup Pyrex >> pushed up the oiled plastic wrap and fitted lid.
- Scoop out into 10-cup bundt pan. Smooth and evoo top of the dough before final rise covered with the plastic wrap.
- fill bottom of broiler pan with water and pre-heat oven, put the bund pan in the water
- when done, turn the bread out on parchment lined rack and bake over the water pan, for another 15 minutes to dry the outside into semi-hard/chewy crust.

Modified Carrot and Kefir Whey No-knead pull-apart rolls

I used same basic no-knead buttermilk roll recipe as below but used kefir whey mixed with shredded carrots cooked until softened in butter and water, then added to the whey to "warm" temp for the sugar (coconut sugar), sea salt mixture for proofing the yeast. Mixed whole wheat white wheat, bread flour and a bit of gluten-free all purpose mix (the ingredients help with whole wheat flour). Rolled into 5 balls, then placed in parchment-lined warmed casserole. Glazed the top with orange juice/butter/carrot reduction (cook carrot chunks in 2tbs butter, 2 Tbs coconut milk drained coconut flakes, and 2/3 cup OJ -sea salt, fg nutmeg, fg black pepper- until fully cooked and juice is reduced.) sprinkled with white sesame seeds, baked covered with foil for the first 1/3, buttered the top while cooling on the rack.

No Knead Buttermilk Bread | Kitchen Confidante
https://kitchenconfidante.com/no-knead-b ... ead-recipe
NO KNEAD BUTTERMILK BREAD
MAKES 2 LOAVES LARGE LOAVES, OR 4-6 SMALLER BOULES | PREP: 5 MINUTES, PLUS RISING | COOK: 45 MINUTES
The original recipe for Buttermilk Bread as it appears in The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day calls for loaves to be baked in loaf pans, however, I skipped this to make free form boules, in smaller portions. Please refer to the cookbook for instructions on baking them into sandwich loaves.
No Knead Buttermilk BreadPRINT RECIPE
INGREDIENTS >> half

* 2 1/3 cups lukewarm water
* 1 cup buttermilk

>>> 1-2/3 cups kefir whey or 1 cup whey plus
>>> 1 cup shredded carrot cooked with 2tbs butter
>>> and 1/2 cup water

1 tablepoon granulated yeast >> 1-1/2 tsp yeast
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt >> 2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar >> 2 tsp sugar
6 1/2 cups bread flour >> 3-1/4 cups flour
cornmeal for dusting
Melted butter
INSTRUCTIONS

In the bowl of an stand mixer (or a large bowl, about 6 qt capacity), mix together the water, buttermilk, yeast, salt and sugar. Add the flour and mix using the paddle attachment (or mix by hand with a wooden spoon). Do not knead the dough.

Lightly cover the bowl and let it rest at room temperature for 2 hours, or until the dough doubles in size, then collapses.

At this point, the dough can be used immediately, or it can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered container and used within 5 days. The dough can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.

When you are ready to bake, cut off your desired amount from the dough. I baked free form loaves from portions about the size of a grapefruit on a baking stone. Dust the portion of dough with flour and very lightly knead and shape it into an elonglated ball. Lightly cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let it rest for 90 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the rack in the center of the oven with the baking stone, if using.

If baking on a baking stone, lightly dust the bottom of the loaf with cornmeal. Otherwise, place on a parchment lined baking tray. Lightly brush the top of the loaf with melted butter. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown. Brush the top of the bread with a little more melted butter upon removing from the oven. Take the bread out of the pan and cool before slicing.

From The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, Jeff Hertzberg, M.D. and Zoe Francois (Thomas Dunne Books, 2013).

applestar
Mod

imafan26 wrote:I have only made bread a few times and it still comes out like it is not cooked. It tastes ok once it is toasted. What am I doing wrong?

Anybody got a recipe for Sally Lunn brown and serve rolls? I had a recipe for Sally Lunn mini loaves that I could partially bake and freeze to make brown and serve rolls. I can't find that recipe now.

I was hoping other people with more experience would answer....

Bread is yeasty when freshly baked -- some people say a day old bread is, in fact, better. Do you think that might be the issue for you?

How do you determine doneness? Have you tried using a thermometer? I think instant read of 160° F when done. (From memory -- you may want to make sure....)

Good yeast bread actually keeps for a several days unrefrigerated -- I heard because the yeast will prevent mold from taking hold at first. (Huh not sure how that actually works, yeast is not entirely killed by the baking process? Hmmm.) I've seen unrefrigerated store bought natural (no preservatives) bread get moldy before my own home-baked bread during same storage period.

Most people say bread is better stored longer term in the freezer rather than refrigerator. Once frost forms inside the bag though, bread tastes freezer-burned. Also picks up freezer odors. I toss out (compost) or use unsalvageable bread for birdfood. But if iffy but still good enough, I might turn them into croutons, breadcrumbs, or meat pie crust.

aobrion
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:I have only made bread a few times and it still comes out like it is not cooked. It tastes ok once it is toasted. What am I doing wrong?

Hi, hello! I'm a baker in sunny (and HUMID) Florida! At my bakery, we make exclusively sourdough breads, which are a tad different from regular yeasted breads, but I started off baking at home with regular commercial yeast. Regardless of what leavening agent you're using, the best thing for you to develop is a "dough sense", meaning simply, that you need to get a feel for the dough you're trying to make. Recipes are great for getting started, but if the recipe says to use 2 cups of flour, and your dough is still shockingly wet, you'll need to add in more flour! Add it in in small amounts, until the dough is tacky and sticky, but not wet. Also keep in mind that if you're kneading the bread on the counter, all that flour you put down and on your hands is also going to be incorporated into the bread.

Now, regarding the doneness of your bread, we typically look for the bread to be reading between 180 and 200 degrees on an instant read thermometer, stuck into the bottom or side of your loaf, ideally. It does depend on what kind of bread your making (breads with eggs, milk, etc will want to be closer to 200 than 180), but it's a good starting point. If you feel like it's taking forever for your bread to get there, you probably have your oven set too low! The lowest temperature I bake my bread at in my home over is 375, but upwards of 400 is really ideal. We run our commercial over at about 500 degrees, but I feel that makes my house way too hot.

Feel free to reach out if you (or anyone else) have more questions! I may ask a lot of dumb questions here because I'm a new gardener, but I know quite a bit about bread, and would love to help!

applestar
Mod

Ooh thanks for providing the correct temperature range to look for -- I was being too lazy :>

Now that I know there are more bread experts here, I will be asking questions, too. :()

applestar
Mod

I made bread again, this time using this recipe with a few mods -- expired whole milk warmed up plus kefir and kefir whey, 3 Tbs honey, 1 Tbs molasses, 1 Tbs maple syrup; used 2 cups white whole wheat and 1-3/4 cups white bread four and subbed in 1/4 cup hazelnut/almond nut meal. Used sunflower oil in the 8-cup Pyrex bowl for proofing; this one needed some serious kneading (lightly dusted with gluten free flour) to turn from shaggy floury dough into smooth elastic dough (and needed a splash of whey) ...and worked 2 Tbs softened butter into the dough in the process; brushed just the top dough raised in pyrex loaf pan with egg wash (1 egg + 1T water) and sprinkled with white sesame and brown flax seeds, then more egg wash 10 minutes before baking. Rotated pan halfway into baking and brushed some more with egg wash, then tented with aluminum foil. Stopped baking 5 minutes before end-time and rested in hot oven 5-10 minutes before removing to cool.

King Arthur's 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread Recipe | King Arthur Flour
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ ... ead-recipe

Note -- this recipe mentions how to use a thermometer to check doneness.

Forgot to take pictures :oops: since the hungry horde clamored to be fed with the new baked bread and was busy during the barely enough 1/2 hour cooling time (unfortunately it was still hot when I sliced it all up -- I don't think you are supposed to cut bread until completely cooled to "warm"... right?)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I made 1/2 a bread recipe. 3 cup bread flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 pack double acting yeast, 1 egg, 1 cup warm milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 stick melted butter. I kneeded the dough until it was too stiff to kneed about 5 minutes then let it rest 10 minutes.

I decided to turn this into cinnamon rolls so I rolled it out into a rectangle 20" x20" then covered it with 1/4 stick of melted butter. I mixed 2 tablespoons of cinnamon with 1 cup of dark ground sugar then sprinkled it on the dough. Roll it up like a jelly roll then cut it into 12 equal pieces.

Stand rolls on end in a baking pan make sure they are all 1" apart then spray tops with butter. Put them in a warm place until double in size a little more than 1 hour. Bake 350 degrees F 25 minutes. Let cook the put frosting on top. I cheated and bought white cake frosting in a can at the grocery store.

imafan26
Mod

Any body got a recipe for a brown and serve type bread? I used to have one for Sally Lunn brown and serve mini bread which was perfect since I can't eat a whole loaf of bread fast enough. I can't find the recipe again.

applestar
Mod

I vaguely remember those -- aren't they the kind that are pale doughy looking and you bake them until brown? How long do you bake them for? Can't you just make regular recipe for dinner rolls or small loafs, then half-bake them and freeze?

applestar
Mod

Last night, I wanted to use up some of the kefir whey so I decided to make bread. I measured out the whey and added a chopped pitted date, a swirl of honey, and some sea salt... then realized I couldn't find where I stashed the yeast. I was getting sleepy and irritable, so gave up on searching and added about 1/4 tsp of freezedried sourdough starter, mixed in some whole wheat flour, covered it and went to get ready to go to bed. Came back to slightly bubbling mixture and added a some more flour for sponge, and went to bed.

This morning, I added bread flour and went out to garden.

In the afternoon, the dough had risen to the top of the 8 cup measuring cup. So I punched it and added raisins, a swirl of honey, butter cut up into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces, and peeled/chopped half of an early harvested apple, then pulled up all the dough from the sides to enfold, and dumped the mass in a glass loaf pan coated with sunflower oil. Probably half-filled it. Covered with oiled plastic wrap and a towel until doubled/risen to top, then baked in 350°F toaster oven for 45 minutes, rotating the pan after 25 minutes.

Cooled in the loaf pan until cool enough to handle, then turned out upside down on a parchment to dry/cool the sides and bottom.

...I wasn't going to eat it until tomorrow for breakfast -- imagining toasting and sprinkling with ground cinnamon, coffee.... mmm! But if the DD's get into it before then and I'm still awake, I'll take a cross section photo and post. ;)

This was a slap together toss in what seemed right kind of bread. Reading over and reviewing, I'm reminded that Gary350 said you have to add enough salt, and it seems to me I don't think I did.... Hmm... well, the butter I used was salted butter and not unsalted. Well, I'll come back and let you know when I taste it.

...I also wonder if I should have removed the towel and plastic wrap and tried to let it rise a bit more before baking...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Any body got a recipe for a brown and serve type bread? I used to have one for Sally Lunn brown and serve mini bread which was perfect since I can't eat a whole loaf of bread fast enough. I can't find the recipe again.
This may be the recipe your looking for. This is a big recipe I like to make it for Thanksgiving or Christmas it makes enough for a crowd. If I make it for only the 2 of us at home I make 1/2 a recipe.

This recipe is amazing because you can do so many different things with it.

5 C of Bread Flour
1/3 C sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons of salt
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 C buttermilk.
1 C melted butter
1/4 Cup warm water to proof the yeast
1 pack double acting dry yeast.

Add yeast to warm water with 1 teaspoon of sugar wait 20 to 30 minutes until yeast begins to foam.

Kneed the bread, fold in 1/2 over and over for 5 minutes until dough becomes too stiff to kneed. Let dough rest about 10 minutes until dough becomes soft. Roll the dough out on counter top into a long tube shape 1 1/2" diameter. Cut tube into 1 1/2" long pieces. Roll all the pieces into a golf ball diameter shape. Place dough balls in a pan let rise until double in size then bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.

If your coat the dough balls with oil they cook into a golden brown color.
If you coat the dough with sugar water it cooks to golden brown too slightly different color.
Coat with eggs wash 1 egg white + 2 tablespoon water scrambled paint dough it comes out golden brown too.
Coat dough with butter it come out very deep dark golden brown.

I like to use an empty Ro-Tel can like a cookie cutter. Roll the dough out about 3/4" thick, cut into pieces & place pieces in 9x12 pan, coat with oil let rise until double in size them bake 20 minutes at 350 F.

Another thing I like to do is roll the dough out 1/2" thick. Coat 1 side with butter then cut it into 2" x 2" squares. Stack all the squared up like a stack of pancakes then put the stack in a bread pan laying on its side. When double in size the bread pan will be full. Bake 25 min at 350 F. This makes a loaf of bread that pulls apart like slices of bread.

Twisted bread loaf is nice, roll dough out so it is about 16" long. Fold in 1/2 then twist the 2 rolls round 2 times to form a twisted loaf of bread. Place in bread pan until double in size bake 25 min at 350 F.

To make pretzels roll dough into 1/2" long tube about 12" long then twist into pretzel shape. Let rise for 30 minutes then drop into boiling water for about 1 or 2 minutes. Bake on cookie sheet 20 min 350 F.

If your making biscuits do not kneed the dough. Fold the dough in 1/2 about 4 or 5 times. Roll the dough out about 1/2" thick cut with a Ro-Tel can to make biscuits. Fill 9x12 pan with biscuits let them rise for about 10 to 15 minutes then bake 20 min at 350 deg.

Top each of these with your favorite wash to get the desired golden grow look and crispy crust.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the recipe Gary. The ingredients look right except for the buttermilk and you had good tips. My grandmother said, the raw taste of the bread was a kneading problem. Since I don't make yeast bread that much, I don't have a lot of bread sense. I have gotten better. Now, I knead the bread in a mixer instead of by hand. I end up using less flour and every thing gets blended better. When the dough pulls away from the bowl and stays on the hook, I know it is just about ready because it starts blistering. Adding too much flour made the dough tough.

The Sally Lunn recipe was my first success. I think mainly because it was not a sweet bread and the recipe was not for 60 loaves so it was less dough to work with. It also did not require a lot of kneading. I like spoon breads too for the same reason, they don't need a lot of kneading.

applestar
Mod

Ah, so I guess I was thinking of something completely different? Glad Gary350 knew what you were talking about. :wink:

Here's my bread cut open. I was right -- should have added another 1 tsp of salt when I added the raisins, etc. but it was tasty sliced, toasted and drizzled with honey, sprinkled with Himalayan pink salt and ground cinnamon. :D One DD had two slices, the other one eschews honey and had hers with Nutella. :()

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Thanks for the recipe Gary. The ingredients look right except for the buttermilk and you had good tips. My grandmother said, the raw taste of the bread was a kneading problem. Since I don't make yeast bread that much, I don't have a lot of bread sense. I have gotten better. Now, I knead the bread in a mixer instead of by hand. I end up using less flour and every thing gets blended better. When the dough pulls away from the bowl and stays on the hook, I know it is just about ready because it starts blistering. Adding too much flour made the dough tough.

The Sally Lunn recipe was my first success. I think mainly because it was not a sweet bread and the recipe was not for 60 loaves so it was less dough to work with. It also did not require a lot of kneading. I like spoon breads too for the same reason, they don't need a lot of kneading.
I discovered this recipe many years ago from a woman that won 1st Place Blue Ribbon at the county fair baking contest. Buttermilk is acid like vinegar when mixed with baking soda it produces carbon monoxide gas that makes the bread rise exactly like yeast only difference is this is much faster 10 minutes compared to yeast 1 or 2 hours and you still get the good yeast flavor because the recipe has yeast in it. You can substitute Milk + 2 teaspoons of vinegar for Buttermilk its the same chemistry with no buttermilk flavor. This is a large recipe it makes 2 to 3 loaves of bread and 40 or more biscuits depending on the size and shape I always make 1/2 a recipe. I originally got this recipe because it makes such good biscuits. If you kneed dough by hand 5 minutes until stiff it makes excellent loaf bread. I got lazy for about 15 years and bought a bread machine to mix and kneed the dough but now I do it by hand again. I got tired of cleaning the machine and storing the machine in the kitchen cabinets.

I made more cinnamon rolls today with a different recipe. It looks better but the other recipe is better.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I baked some sourdough rye bread today, which I started Friday, and fed the culture a couple times Sat. Nothing like homemade bread!

Sponge:
ImageDSCF0311 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All the ing. dumped on the sponge, before the flour gets added to the mixer:
ImageDSCF0312 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The dough, finished kneading in the mixer. The shine is from Pam, which I spray on, to keep it from sticking to the bowl.
ImageDSCF0314 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

After rising :
ImageDSCF0315 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

2 lbs of dough, in each pan:
ImageDSCF0316 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

After rising 50 min:
ImageDSCF0317 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

One finished loaf:
ImageDSCF0318 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Oooh looks so yummy! I'm picturing slathering with mayo, big slabs of garden tomatoes... basil or nasturtium leaves.... OK now I'm hungry! :D

applestar
Mod

I'm trying to get to the point of being able to bake bread by "feel" -- still need more practice as it turned out though .... :oops:

Today's bread was started last night with whole wheat flour, kefir/kefir whey, home made blackberry soda, vanilla sugar, bottled yuzu/citrus juice, sea salt, and a few grains of freeze-dried sour dough starter. This morning, added white bread flour, kneaded and coated with Sunflower oil in 8 cup glass pyrex to proof.

After proofing, added whole wheat flour, potato starch, baking soda, chopped dried apricots, chopped fresh strawberries, chopped whole almonds, honey, more sea salt, and butter. Kneaded well, then coated with old fashioned oatmeal and into parchment lined oval side dish casserole. Covered with plastic wrap to rise.

Here is where I made a mistake. I baked it in a pan of hot water, loosely covered with foil in 375°F oven for 50 minutes, rotating at 20 minutes and removing foil at 40 minutes. But the bread turned out to be still doughy in the middle when it was cut into after cooling. *Note to self, use instant read thermometer* I'm guessing bread needed more time because it is dense.

I baked for 30 minutes additional time at 350°F but that still wasn't entirely enough. Nice crusty crust, though. Slicing and toasting to compensate is helping, and it is lovely as toast with a pat of butter.

I need to find out what to do when your bread is undercooked but you already cut the loaf. :roll:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi All.

Your photos and recipes are all amazing. My mouth is watering.

I could use some advice. It will be another 2 or 3 months before I can incorporate bread back into George's diet. When he can have bread I want it to be home made. The problem: I have never made bread. :eek:

I do not own a stand mixer or any specialized bread making equipment. I do have loaf pans.

So - can you -helpsos- me with a basic bread recipe - preferably whole wheat or whole grain. Nothing fancy.

I know nothing about bread making so talk to me like you would a 3 year old. :wink:

Thank you :!:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

apple, For that instant read thermometer, the lowest temp. I have seen in any of my bread books to "bake to" is 185º, but more often 190º, and occasionally up to 210º. The old books give a sort of inexact method of thumping the bottom, and "it should sound hollow".

applestar
Mod

Thanks, pepperhead. I must make note! :D

ELizabethB -- obviously I'm the wrong one to give you a recipe :>

applestar
Mod

Today"s bread started last night with kefir whey and thinnest separated kefir, instant yeast, organic non-sulfured molasses, Himalayan pink salt, and organic whole white wheat (www).

This morning, added a small, not quite ripe Korean melon peeled and pulsed in a blender, white bread flour, a little more yeast, more www, sunflour oil, organic cultured unsalted butter cut into 1/4" cubes, raw wildflower honey, and kosher salt. Lightly kneaded the shaggy dough, rolled in Sunflower oil then proofed.

Scooped Nutella onto the middle of the dough, pulled up edges from one side and folded over the Nutella, then added another scoop of Nutella and folded over the other side, pulled more edges and rolled into oblong shape, then turned out onto parchment with a pile of old fashioned oatmeal.

More-or-less distributed the oatmeal all over, then pulled up corners of parchment to put in oval casserole dish, folded corners and sides of parchment to form some support, covered with the oiled wrap used for proofing before, then a folded towel to rise.

350°F oven for 50 minutes, rotating at 30 minutes and covering with foil. Temp check with instant thermometer showed 195°F

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made a yeast starter 4 days ago in a 1 quart mason jar. I have been feeding it every day with 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon sugar. Today I poured about 1/2 of my yeast starter into a bowl. Then I mixed in enough flour & salt to the yeast starter to make a good dough. The yeast starter provides all the liquid the dough will need. I put the dough in a bowl then set it in the front seat of my hot vehicle parked in the sun and 1 hour later it was double in size ready to bake in the oven. I am so out of practice I forgot to add 5 extra minutes for using a glass baking dish, bread turned out good but I wanted a harder darker crust. Next time I will bake it 30 minutes at 400 degrees instead of 25 min at 350. More salt next time too and 1/4 wheat flour or barley flour. I tablespoon of corn meal gives it an added flavor too. I don't use bread pans very often I usually throw the dough in the center of a pizza pan let it rise then bake it on the pizza pan.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Another sour dough bread from yeast starter. Every morning & ever evening I put 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup bread flour, 1 teaspoon sugar in the yeast starter until the 1 quart mason jar was almost full. This morning after breakfast I stirred 1 tablespoon sugar into the yeast starter to activate it really good. After lunch the yeast starter was bubbling good I stirred in another tablespoon of sugar. I poured 2 cups of yeast starter into a bowl. Next I stirred in 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup granola cereal that was ground up into flour in the kitchen blender, 1 tablespoon of corn meal, and 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir well until the salt makes the gluten come out in the dough. Then starts stirring in white bread flour until the dough is stiffer but still too soft to kneed. Put flour on the counter top to do the no kneed, stretch, pull and fold method. Stretch the dough about 15" long then fold over, stretch 15" again and fold, keep stretching and folding over and over. Do not push down on the dough with your hands this pushed out all the air. If you want bread with LARGE AIR BUBBLES do stretch and fold, DO NOT KNEED. I did stretch and fold about 20 times. Then I stretched the dough out about 24" long. It was about 6" wide by 24" long. I sprinkled a tiny bit of chocolate cocoa powder on the top surface of the dough just so the dark color will show up inside the bread then I rolled the dough up, oiled the outside and dropped it into a bread pan. It set the dough in the front seat of the vehicle in the hot sun until it was double in size. Wow this big 2 cup yeast starter really speeds up breading making it was double in size in 50 minutes, baked 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Bread turned out good, I think it could have used a bit more salt in the dough 1 1/2 teaspoons was not enough for good flavor. Bread has nice flavor, crunch crust. We had bread with dinner, corn on the cob, baked potato, BBQ pork chops on the BBQ grill. Bread for breakfast tomorrow, and lunch too. Bread and butter is a good bedtime snack.

I will feed my yeast starter rather slow so it is about ready to use 2 cups when we need the next loaf of bread. Next time I will use Dark Brown sugar in the yeast starter instead of no flavor white sugar it will give the bread a nice flavor.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Scratch made cinnamon rolls the fast method.

1 cup of warm water about 110 degrees in a large bowl.
1 Tablespoon white sugar stirred into the water.
Sprinkle 1 pack or Double Action Yeast on the water surface.
Wait 5 minutes then stir yeast into water.
Wait 10 minutes yeast water will be foaming.
Stir in 1 cup bread flour.
10 minutes later flour water mix will be bubbling.
Stir in 2 teaspoons of salt. Stir well to bring out the gluten dough gets stringy in about 20 strokes.
Stir in 1 more cup of flour then dump onto the counter top and kneed in a little more flour.
Do not kneed very much 4 times you do not want dough to become too stiff to roll out with a rolling pin.
Roll out about 22" x 24".
Cover dough with 1/2 stick of melted butter.
Mix 1/2 dark brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of cinnamon then sprinkle evenly over the dough.
Roll dough up from which ever side you like, long side makes more rolls, short side makes larger diameter rolls.
If the long roll is larger diameter in the middle than the ends stretch the middle to make the center diameter = to the ends.
I decided 8 rolls per pan will work best so I cut the long roll into 16 equal pieces.
Grease both pans.
Mix 1/4 cup dark brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon sprinkle sugar cinnamon mix into the pans.
Put 8 cinnamon roll evenly spaced in each pan.
Place pans in a warm place to rise until the rolls fill the pans. I set my pans on the car dash parked in the hot sun 90 min rise.
Cover pans with towel while they rise.
If you want the cooked cinnamon rolls to be dark golden brown on top spray them with butter.
Bake at 350 degrees F 25 minutes.
Microwave 1/2 can of cream cheese cake frosting 35 seconds until runny drizzle it over the cooled cinnamon rolls.
Eat.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

October 29th, 2017

I finally got around to making my Dill Bread. First I needed a way to separate the seeds. I used a colander for the first screening, most of the seeds went through the colander.

The next step was a coarse strainer to let the smaller particles and husks fall through.

There's still a good amount of Dill seeds in the screened pieces, these are placed in a jar to grow some dill next season.

Worked beautifully.

For the bread I just used a box of Bread Machine mix (white) and added a few of my own ingredients.
  • 1 box of Bread Machine mix follow directions, I cut back on the water 2 tablespoons and added an extra tablespoon of oil.
  • 1/4 Cup of Cream Cheese
  • 1 tablespoon of Dried Minced Onions (will increase to 5 teaspoons next time)
  • 2 teaspoons of Dill Seed (Will increase to 1 tablespoon next time)

The bread was fantastic, everyone loved it, but I want to increase the Dill flavor a bit next time I make this.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Recipe for 1 loaf of bread
3 1/4 C bread flour
1 1/2 C warm water
3/4 tsp yeast
2 T salt

I put 1 1/2 cups water in a glass mixing bowl then microwaved it 40 seconds. Water is too hot but I am using the water to warm up the cold glass bowl. After about 1 minute water has cooled down to the correct temperature about 100 degrees. Next I added 2 tablespoons of salt and sprinkled 3/4 teaspoon yeast on the water surface. Let yeast dissolves about 2 minutes in the water. Next dump 3 1/4 cup of bread flour in the bowl all at once and stir just enough to get dry flour wet about 60 seconds. Bread can be baked in 2 hours, if you want a good sour dough flavor let dough set over night for 12 hours.

There are lots of recipes for Artisan bread, everyone has their own idea what works best, variations are 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt, salt gives bread flavor the more you add up to a point the better bread tastes, salt to taste. This is a sticky dough put flour on the counter top and your hands. Do not kneed the bread. The professional bread makers stretch the dough, pull dough from both sides to stretch then fold both ends to the center. Rotate 90 degrees pull and fold both ends to center. Do this only about 4 times to stretch the top of the bread loaf smooth so it looks smooth. A lot of videos say, cut slices in the top of the bread this makes it look cute after it is cooked. Lots of recipes call for different types of salt I used table salt.

I still have not got the hang of making a beautiful master piece loaf of bread with this recipe. LOL.

Let dough rise it will double in size about ever hour. Push the dough down fold 2 times let it rise again. After a few hours dough does not double is size anymore get dough in the correct bread shape ball ready to bake if you want to wait 12 hours before cooking.

I use to have an 18"x18" ceramic floor tile in the oven for baking bread but it got dropped on the floor and broken so I am using a cast iron skillet. Put a well seasoned cast iron skillet into the oven turn oven on to 450 degrees F for hard crust, 400 for not so hard crust. Put NO oil or butter in the skillet when oven & skillet are 450 degree about 30 minutes drop dough into hot skillet let it bake 30 minutes at 450 or 35 min at 400. Put a pan of water in the oven to make steam.

This bread is very good. I need to get better at making a nice looking loaf of bread I want to give everyone a loaf of bread for Christmas. This is the easiest bread I ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKwFAipNLQ

I buttered the bread then sliced it, it taste good. Today I make more bread and wait 12 hours before I bake it. This bread was good with breakfast. Sandwiches for lunch and bread for dinner then french toast for breakfast tomorrow.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Cinnamon Rolls again. Winter is a good time to do experiential cooking it is 8 degrees outside.

Bread making rules.
Replace water with milk & add an egg you get softer bread better tasting bread.
Replace some of the flour with oatmeal you get a softer better tasting bread.

This is a basic bread recipe = french or Italian.
3 cup bread flour
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
1 pack yeast

Modified bread recipe for cinnamon rolls.
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup oatmeal flour = Quaker oats in the kitchen blender 60 seconds.
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup powder sugar = 1/4 cup white sugar in coffee grinder 60 seconds.
1 tsp salt
1 pack yeast
1 cup warm milk
1 egg scrambled, with the warm milk, stir with french mixer.

Mix all the dry stuff together then add egg & warm milk mixture.

Kneed dough until stiff coat outside with oil let it rest in warm place about 45 min to 1 hour.

Roll dough out flat about 10" x 16" cover top side of dough with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.

Mix 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon Hershey Cocoa, 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar together then sprinkle over the dough & butter.

Roll the dough up from the 15" long side. Stretch roll if needed to make the diameter even so all the cinnamon rolls will be the same diameter. Cut dough in half, then cut the 2 pieces in half, cut the 4 pieces into 3 pieces each = 12 cinnamon rolls.

Place rolls in a pan let rise until double in size in a warm place 1 hour or so.

Bake at 350 degree F for 20 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes then top with white cream cheese cake frosting.

These are the best cinnamon rolls ever. I did not take pictures because they don't look any different than my other cinnamon roll picture but they taste much better. I will take pics if someone wants pics?

I am going to try this recipe to make yeast donuts = bagels. Only difference is, donuts are deep fried & bagels are cooked in boiling water. I am going to cook them in boiling water like bagels. Then I can eat them like bagels or donuts. I want to avoid fried food. If you want a bagel to look golden brown like a donut bake it 350 degrees until golden brown.

Has anyone heard the new medical info on gluten free? Now doctors say our intestines need gluten. Look for a new flour called, Whole White. Grandson said, "That is racists." LOL. Make your own whole white flour by grinding up wheat.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

100_9207.JPG
This is old school bread. Mix flour, salt, warm water, yeast. Kneed until dough is too stiff to kneed. Let dough rest about 10 minutes then kneed again until it is too stiff to kneed. Let dough rise about 1 hour or until double in size then kneed again until too stiff to kneed. Make loaf bread if you like or just throw the dough on a pizza pan to rise. I see videos where people cut slots into the dough so I used a butter knife just drag it over the dough not trying to cut deep. Turned out good. I had 2 slices with lunch. We had left over containers of beef stew & 15 bean soup in the refrigerator so I mixed them both together it make a great lunch.
Attachments
100_9224.JPG
100_9219.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Learn about all the different kinds of flour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkEp26sck58

Watch this video it is in German you can figure out 95% of what to do watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGTbcZcyvo4

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This is an interesting video about bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5k7H7 ... e=youtu.be

imafan26
Mod

Breadmaking is really an art. I can do spoon breads and some easy breads like zucchini, and carrot, since the added vegetables and fruit help to make the bread softer and keep longer. Yeast breads, are harder. It takes a little more skill and practice to know when a bread dough has been kneaded properly and has the right look and feel to it. I still get better results by letting my mixer do the kneading. I often add to much flour, but I have finally figured out the blistering sign. It is still hard for me to be able to know how much flour to add since the amount can vary by up to a cup depending on the humidity. I learned the hard way bread does not rise well when it is raining.

applestar
Mod

I tried making these rice-cooker rolls. I used mixture of kefir whey and water, half white bread flour and half whole grain white wheat flour.

炊飯器で簡単(•8•)ひよこちぎりパン — Simple with the Rice Cooker (•8•) Chickie Tear-apart Rolls
https://cookpad.com/recipe/4340869
Finished result according to the recipe should look like this:

Mine? ... started out well enough, when I first put their faces on. I didn’t have canned corn or black sesame seeds, so I used pieces of butternut squash and dried cranberries.
Image...but when the rice cooker cycle was done, they turned out like this Image

...haha, I guess I need to practice this recipe some more...

They were delicious though. I put the rest of the butternut squash UNDER the dough, so they were nicely cooked and helped to raise the rolls up to be steamed.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Apple, The last couple of times that I made Chinese steamed rolls I used Atta flour - whole wheat durum flour - to which I added some jasmine rice flour. The atta I used because it doesn't have a lot of flavor, despite being a whole grain. The jasmine flavor definitely comes through with that. I ground it a little finer in my VM, after making the jasmine flour, as the atta was a little coarse.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Breadmaking is really an art. I can do spoon breads and some easy breads like zucchini, and carrot, since the added vegetables and fruit help to make the bread softer and keep longer. Yeast breads, are harder. It takes a little more skill and practice to know when a bread dough has been kneaded properly and has the right look and feel to it. I still get better results by letting my mixer do the kneading. I often add to much flour, but I have finally figured out the blistering sign. It is still hard for me to be able to know how much flour to add since the amount can vary by up to a cup depending on the humidity. I learned the hard way bread does not rise well when it is raining.
You are right. There are so many different breads it takes practice to get each one right. Old school bread like grandmother made works best for me. You need a proven recipe that someone else has tweaked and gotten it perfect or you need to make bread every day until you tweak your own recipe. Measuring cup is not as accurate at scales. I finally broke down and bought a digital scale on ebay $10 free postage. Year ago scales were not this cheap. There are 3 kinds of flour, soft, medium, hard. Soft is for cake & pastries. Bread flour is hard wheat flour.

Here is a recipe to try, 3 cups warm 100 degree bread flour, 1 5/8 cup warm 100 degree water, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp yeast. Microwave flour in one container an water in different glass mixing bowl to 100 degrees. Add sugar & yeast to warm water stir until dissolved. Slowly stir in flour, 1 cup at first then 1/2 cup each time after that, stir well each time. Kneed dough until it is too stiff to kneed then let it rest 5 minute until it becomes soft enough to kneed again. Do this over and over for 1 hour.

I like rapid rise yeast because it is fast but I think slower yeast has a better flavor. The trick to good bread is to knead it the correct length of time. If you have a bread dough mixer 10 minutes is usually about right. If you kneed by hand it will take a while. Above recipe starts out sticky do not add much extra flour the longer you kneed the less sticky the dough becomes. After an hour of kneading dough it becomes very elastic. Dough should stretch 3 ft long without breaking. Another test is to pull the dough try to stretch it thin as paper if it will stretch thin enough that you can see light through the bread dough it is perfect. Next form dough into the shape you want, round, loaf, twist, rolls. Trick is stretch dough pull from all sides to the back side to make front side look beautiful.

Bakers have steam cabinets for dough to rise double in size, I don't have that at home. Sometimes I put a gallon of boiling water on bottom self of oven with dough on center shelf with oven off and door closed to rise. Sometimes I put bread dough on top of a warm stove to rise. Sometimes heat a gallon of water to about 180 degrees set dough pan on top of hot water pan covered with towel to rise. When dough is double in size push on dough with your finger if dough bounces back it is ready to bake. If you push dough with finger and it does not bounce back it has raised too much or you did not kneed dough enough.

I use to make loaf bread, sometimes rolls, sometimes cinnamon rolls, but now days I let the dough ball rise on a flat pan it looks like half a ball shape after it is baked. My grandmother use to coat the entire dough with butter, some people use oil, this makes a nice light brown color bread with soft crust. For a darker crispy crust brush the finished raised dough with a clean dry paint brush to remove all the loose flour dist. After all the loose flour is removed paint the dough with water. Give it a very good coating of water. Save an old Windex bottle use it to spray water on your bread dough. Water gives you a darker crispy crust. If you want a harder darker German style crust dissolve 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1/4 cup water paint bread dough with baking soda water.

I bought a 12" square ceramic floor tile at Lowe's for 50 cents I put it in the oven for my baking stone, large cast iron skillet works too. Put baking stone on medium shelf, put empty large flat pan on bottom shelf. Set oven at 350 degrees F to get hot. I set my dough on hot baking stone then pour 1 cup water into the large pan, cook it 350 degrees 30 minutes. If your baking bread in a loaf pan set it in the oven, put water in the cookie sheet pan, bake 350 for 30 minutes. The above recipe works at this temperature but if you make a different recipe that is larger or smaller cook time will change. I have to make bread every day to learn how to make bread turn out perfect each time. 40 years ago I baked bread every day but now I am out of practice I have a very hard time getting a perfect loaf of bread. Bakers that make large batches of bread weigh each piece of dough to get the perfect size bread loaf.

There are lots of things you can do to bread, use milk and 1 eggs in place of water you get a softer bread. Replace 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup oatmeal you get very soft bread with different flavor. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons corn meal to any recipe you get a different flavor. Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar to make a sweeter bread. Replace 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour with Hershey Coco for pumpernickel. I use to have a bread making book not sure what ever happened to it but these days do Google search. I am thinking very serious about making 1 loaf of bread tomorrow. I like hard dark crispy crust bread but wife likes it soft as a pastry. I might make a half & half loaf, hard & crispy on 1 side, soft on other side.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made a nice loaf of bread today. This is a good example what happens if you don't make bread very often I forgot this recipe makes 2 loaves of bread. I need to make better notes. After mixing the dough I kneeded it every 5 minutes for an hour. I put dough in center of a 10" cast iron skillet then we left for the grocery store then lunch at a restaurant. We arrived home bread dough had filled the whole skillet. I am not changing it now it should have been 2 loaves of bread. I could still push the dough down, divide it in 1/2, kneed each 1/2 then let it rise to make 2 loaves. Nothing wrong with this it will make larger garlic bread for dinner. Wife chopped garlic cooked it in butter then put it on 3 slices of bread that I cut.
Attachments
100_2056.JPG
100_2062.JPG
100_2080.JPG
100_2082.JPG
100_2083.JPG
100_2084.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made 2 loaves of bread & pizza dough today. I made a 1 loaf recipe for white bread & 1 loaf recipe for 100% whole wheat bread and a 1/2 loaf recipe of white bread for pizza dough. I put some of my home grown chopped oregano in the pizza dough. After kneeding the bread dough I put them in 2 greased glass baking pans. I put 3" of hot tap water in the kitchen sink then set the bread baking dishes in the 100 degree water. This new method of proofing the dough works great it only took 45 minutes for the bread to rise & be ready to bake. While bread was baking I pushed the pizza dough out on the greased pizza pan. Let pizza dough rest on the pan for 30 minutes before baking so dough does not contract and get smaller. I baked the bread 35 minutes at 350 degrees F, after removing bread from oven I coated it with butter. I cooked the pizza dough then wife made a pizza. Wow pizza doesn't get any better than this we are using an real Italian Pizza recipe. After both breads cooled it was time to cut an taste the bread. This is the best 100% whole wheat bread recipe I ever made.

White bread recipe is, 3 Cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 3 T sugar. Proof the yeast, 1 2/3 Cup of 100 deg F water, 1 tsp sugar dissolved in water. 1 tsp yeast dissolved in water. Mix flour into water 1/2 cup each time. Kneed every 5 minutes for 1 hour. Bake 350 deg F 1 hr. This makes 2 loafs of bread or 1 large round cow pile. Also makes excellent yeast rolls, donuts, and cinnamon rolls.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I can't say enough about how good this new recipe for 100% whole wheat bread is. Wife & I both had a slice of both breads with breakfast. Here is the recipe. The trick to this recipe is proofing the yeast, proofing the bread, steam in the oven.

1 Cup 105 degree F water.
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
Stir to dissolve sugar into the water then sprinkle yeast on top of the water. After 5 minutes stir to dissolve yeast into the water. About 15 minutes later water will have yeast foam on the top surface. If your yeast does not foam up you have bad yeast.

1 1/2 cups of 100% whole wheat flour heated to 105 degrees in glass bowl so the bowl is 105 degrees also.
1 T kitchen type table salt.
1 T sugar
Stir salt & sugar into the flour.

Heat a glass mixing bowl to 105 degrees then pour in the yeast water mixture. Add 1/2 cup of flour each time. Stir very well in the yeast water each time.

Kneed dough about 2 minutes or until it becomes too stiff to kneed.

Put about 3" of 105 degree F tap water in kitchen sink, almost enough water to float the glass bowl with dough, set glass bowl in the warm water with towel over the dough. Let dough rise 45 minutes or until double in size.

Kneed bread 30 seconds or until too stiff to kneed. Make a ball let it rise 30 minutes or until double in size in 105 degree F water in kitchen sink. If water temperature has cooled add more hot water.

Flatten dough about to 7" x 10" then roll up dough so the roll is about 7" long. Place dough in greased pan. Push dough down to force it to take the shape of the pan filling the pan corners.

Place bread loaf pan in kitchen sink in 105 degree F water if water has cooled add more hot water. Cover dough with towel let it rise 30 minutes or until double in size.

Turn kitchen oven on in advance so it is 350 degrees F when bread is ready to be baked. Put an empty water pan on oven bottom shelf have it read.

When dough has raised about 1" above the pan but not hanging over the sides of the pan it is ready to bake.

Coat the top surface of the dough with melted butter. Put bread pan in oven then add 1 cup water to the empty water pan. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. If your using a glass baking pan add 10 extra minutes to the bake time.

Remove bread from pan then put the loaf of bread back into the oven with no pan bake 5 to 10 more minutes to brown the crust on sides and bottom.

Remove bread from oven then coat the whole loaf with butter.

Let bread cool before you slice.
Attachments
100_2111.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made 2 loaves of Old Milwaukee rye bread today, which is probably the yeast bread that I have baked more than any other. I have tweaked it through the years - bread flour and instant yeast were not found in retail stores when I started making this, and dark rye flour is still not found everywhere. The original recipe was in Bernard Clayton Jr.'s book The Complete Book Of Breads, printed in 1973. I think I got it, in '76, and have been baking this ever since!
ImageOld Milwaukee rye by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old Milwaukee Rye Bread
2 3/4 cup(s) water
2 1/2 tsp yeast, instant
3 tb oil
2 tb caraway seeds
1/4 cup(s) blackstrap molasses
1 large egg (I often leaves this out, and add 3 more tb of water)
1 tb salt
4 cup(s) dark rye flour
4 1/2 cup(s) bread flour

Directions:

A. Preferment: Up to three days (I almost always do the three!) before bake day, combine 1 1/2 c water, 1 tsp yeast, 2 c rye flour, and 1 tb caraway; mix well, cover, and let rise at room temp. to sour.

B. On bake day: stir in the remaining yeast, rye flour, caraway, and water, along with the molasses, egg, oil, and salt. Stir in 5c bread flour, and set aside 15 min. Mix in remaining bread flour, 1 c at a time, saving last 1/2 c if needed. Knead 6-7 min with dough hook. Place dough in a large oiled bowl, and roll around to coat. Let rise 1 1/2-2 hrs. at room temp., or until doubled. Punch down and let rest while greasing three 8 1/2"x4 1/2" pans, or two 9"x5" pans. Divide evenly and place in pans, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 45 min. May be made into free-standing loaves, as well. Slash 3-4 times with these. 15 min before rise is finished, preheat oven to 375º, 325º in a convection oven.

C. Bake 45-50 min., 40-45 min. in the convection oven. Cool on a wire rack.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Date Nut Orange Cinnamon quick bread Muffins

This new recipe looks good today I am going to see how good it really is.

Dry material
1 Cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 Cup dark brown sugar packed
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup chopped dates = $1.99 lb at Aldi's = $6.99 at Walmart = $5.99 Kroger

Liquid material
1 egg scrambled
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk or white milk plus 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice.
1/3 cup orange juice
1 T orange peal graded
5 T melted butter

Stir bowl of liquid into bowl of dry material. Do not mix more than you need to or dough becomes stiff.

Makes 12 muffins

Bake 375 degrees F for 20 minutes. Test with tooth pick to make sure they are done. Cool 5 minutes.

Wife and I sat at table we had a muffin, butter & coffee. Wife said, that was so good I'm going to eat another one. I said, me too. We ate 2 muffins now we are not hungry for lunch. :)

After eating another yummy muffin for bedtime snack I decided they need more nuts and more dates and a few chocolate chips might be good too. Next time I make this recipe I will add, 1 cup nuts, 1 1/2 cup dates, 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Attachments
100_2161.JPG
100_2162.JPG
100_2164.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I made 2 loaves of whole wheat bread again this turned out the be so good wife wants more and I do too.

This time I am trying something different. One loaf I substituted 1/4 cup wheat flour for 1/4 cup white bread flour I hope this might allow bread to rise better an faster. The other bread loaf is same as the recipe listed.

I knead both bread dough loaves with white flour I hope having white flour on the outer surface will make a golden brown crust.

I am also baking the bread hotter at 375 degrees F to see what that does to the crust I'm hoping for thicker darker crust.

Recipe for 1 loaf
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 T salt
1 T sugar

1 cup 105 degree water
1 tsp sugar dissolved in the warm water
2 tsp yeast
When yeast foams up add liquid to flour mixture.

Knead dough until stiff then knead 3 more times. Place dough in a bowl.
Put 3" hot water in kitchen sink place bowl in hot water for dough to rise.
Let rise in bowl 45 min or until double in size.
Knead dough until stiff then knead 3 more times then put dough in bowl.
Replace cold sink water with more hot water.
Place bowl in hot sink water to rise 30 min or double in size
Knead dough until stiff then knead 3 more times form into a bread loaf place in greased bread pan.
Push dough down into the pan force dough into all the corners.
Paint top of bread loaf with butter. Put sprinkles on top of the dough, oats, seeds, herbs, nuts, etc.
After a good coating of butter I sprinkled on dill seeds and oat meal.
Replace cold sink water with more hot water.
Put bread pan in hot sink water about 1 hour or double in size.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or bread is golden brown.
Cool 5 to 10 minutes remove bread from pan.

WOW bread is much better than before. Bread has a darker brown crust outside, crust inside the pan is brown too.
WOW the first slice looks very good and bread taste good too. To me there is nothing better then fresh baked home made bread. This is better than, pastry, pie, cake, or anything I can think of.
I did a better job of kneading this time when dough was stiff I pushed hard forcing dough flat so I could fold it again. I did that 3 times each time I kneaded the bread. I am starting to get the hang of bread making again. A good recipe and a little practice is all it takes. Both loaves turned out very good better than any bread I have made in a very long time.

My experiment with white flour on 1 loaf made no differences both loaves turned out identical.
Attachments
100_2168.JPG
100_2170.JPG
100_2172.JPG
100_2173.JPG
100_2174.JPG
100_2175.JPG

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”