pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Re: BREAD, post Photos and Recipes here.

Good day for baking bread! I haven't made any Russian Black Bread for quite a while, so that was my choice this time. Has some dark cocoa, coffee powder, and some caramel powder, in addition to the blackstrap, for the dark color. About 60% rye, so it didn't rise a lot in baking.
ImageRussian Black Bread, before baking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished Russian Black Bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today is National Banana Bread day! Not that I need an excuse to bake things.

I found a recipe in the latest Milk Street magazine for a hazelnut banana bread, so I dug out some frozen bananas - something that I do with over-ripe bananas, besides make smoothies.

Somebody must have made this recipe for vegans, as there is no butter and no eggs. This bread is topped with some turbinado sugar, before being topped with some of the hazelnuts (most are ground up in the batter). The caramelizing of the sugar smells fantastic, while baking!
ImageHazelnut Banana bread, before baking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHazelnut Banana bread, after baking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHazelnut Banana bread, cooling on rack. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Bread Maker Pepperoni, Provolone Bread
Toasted, topped with Duck Eggs

Store Bought Dough, Pepperoni, Provolone, Mozzarella Bread.

Butternut Squash Quick Bread from Canned Garden Squash.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that all looks good, what time is dinner we will be right over. :)

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:28 am
Wow, that all looks good, what time is dinner we will be right over. :)
Banana bread is ready!

applestar
Mod

:>

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made some rye bread, to have some corned beef sandwiches on. This was a 2 day bread, started with a rye sponge, and I also used a cup of leftover juice from some dill pickles I made, which gives this bread a unique and delicious flavor.
ImagePickle juice rye bread, ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImagePickle juice rye bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Gawd, I would love some rye toast right now.

Egg Bread

Egg Bread Toast

Egg Bread Burger

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

SQWIB wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:48 am
Gawd, I would love some rye toast right now.
Your bread looks so good it has inspired me to make bread yesterday. I have not been making much bread in the new kitchen oven with only 1 electric burner on top & no burner is bottom. I baked this bread 20 minutes then turned the pan upside down baked 20 minutes on bottom then removed pan baked 7 minutes more to brown loaf on bottom. Loaf did not rise much an won't win a beauty contest but it taste good. Next time I put loaf pan in a 375° case iron skillet that has been in the oven 45 minutes getting hot. I might also try baking bread inside a roaster pan with a lid.
Attachments
100_9543.JPG

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:51 am

Your bread looks so good it has inspired me to make bread yesterday. I have not been making much bread in the new kitchen oven with only 1 electric burner on top & no burner is bottom. I baked this bread 20 minutes then turned the pan upside down baked 20 minutes on bottom then removed pan baked 7 minutes more to brown loaf on bottom. Loaf did not rise much an won't win a beauty contest but it taste good. Next time I put loaf pan in a 375° case iron skillet that has been in the oven 45 minutes getting hot. I might also try baking bread inside a roaster pan with a lid.
Looks good from here!

imafan26
Mod

Today, the only local bakery that has supplied all the islands with bread for 170 years is closing for the final time due to Covid. Some of the local bakeries will increase their production, but none of them will be able to scale up to meet local needs. Most of the bread will be shipped in frozen from now on. I don't eat a lot of bread, but I guess I will be getting more experience making my own. I just have to downsize the recipes a bit. I am on a low carb diet now, so I have to learn to make bread with almond flour.

I found a couple of fast recipes that make small quantities of bread that don't take a lot of ingredients, just patience.

Faster No knead Bread
Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours, 25 minutes

Makes: One loaf

No Knead Bread

Ingredients:

3 cups (360-390 g /12 3/4 ounces) all-purpose or bread flour *
1/4 teaspoon yeast, active dry or instant (1 g)
1 teaspoon salt (6 g)
1 1/2 cups hot water, not boiling (354 mL) - I use hot tap water - about 125-130° F
(about 2 Tablespoons extra flour for shaping)

Instructions:

Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Stir in water until it’s well combined.
Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours.
After 3 hours dough will become puffy and dotted with bubbles. Transfer it to a well-floured surface and sprinkle dough with a little flour. Using a scraper fold dough over 10-12 times & shape into a rough ball.
Place in a parchment paper-lined bowl (not wax paper) and cover with a towel. Let stand on counter top for about 35 minutes.
Meantime place Dutch oven with lid in a cold oven and preheat to 450° F. ( I have an oven thermometer to double check the temperature since ovens temps are not always as advertised. I had to buy a new dutch oven with an oven safe lid. The old pot could go in the oven, but not the handle.
When oven reaches 450° carefully, using oven gloves, lift the parchment paper and dough from the bowl and place gently into the hot pot. (parchment paper goes in the pot too) Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove lid and parchment paper. Return, uncovered, to oven and bake 10 - 15 more minutes. Let it cool at least 15 minutes before slicing.

METRIC: The standard for weighing flour is 1 cup = 120 grams. It is better to weigh ingredients than to measure it especially in humid climates. Flour needs to be sifted before it is used so it is aerated. Packed flour will actually measure out to be more flour than aerated flour when weighed, especially if you have had the flour sitting for a while.
This bread makes a shaggy dough. Keeping the lid on while the bread is baking creates steam. It makes the bread moist, and the final browning crisps up the top. This bread recipe does not require any special tools like a mixer or food processor, since it does not require any heavy kneading.

This next recipe is good when I just want to make a quick sandwich for just one meal. I can use a round container (ramekin) if I want to make round rather than square slice of bread. it makes a very thin bread when sliced in two. I can get most of the ingredients from Costco. I got the xanthum gum from Walmart, but it was available online as well. For a while it was hard to get yeast and because all of the low carb breads are made with nut flours like coconut or almond, there is no gluten so yeast is not required. The bread is dense and does not rise very much, nor does it get much color in the microwave, but it tastes o.k.

Two Minute Low Carb Bread

½ Cup (56g) Blanched Almond Flour

½ Scoop (15g) Unflavored Whey Protein

½ Tsp (2g) Confectioners Erythritol

Heaping ½ Tsp (2-3g) Baking Powder

¼ Tsp Xanthan Gum

(70g) Water
Instructions

Add all the ingredients to a medium sized bowl.

Mix until the ingredients dissolve into one another and a thick batter forms.

Coat a microwave safe sandwich container bottom or glass lunch kit square container with cooking spray. Evenly spread out the batter in the dish, and microwave for 1-2 minutes depending on the power of your microwave. 700 watt ovens about 2 minutes. 1000 watt ovens 60-90 seconds. Convection microwave oven even less. It will have to be trial and error until you know your oven.

Let the bread cool down in the dish.

Once it's cooled cut it in half horizontally, and the cut those half's in half to make 4 slices of toast.

Serving Size: 1 Slice
Calories: 104
Fat: 7.5
Carbohydrates: 2.5
Fiber: 1.5
Net Carbs: 1
Protein: 6

Low carb bread is different from regular bread. it is denser and more eggy since it depends on whipped egg whites to give it its' lift. It is moist and since it uses a nut flour, it is gluten free and low carb. Because it does not have gluten, rise time is minimal so it is quick to make. It is a bread substitute so it has its own unique taste. It is diabetic friendly since it is low carb, but it is high in fat. It is limited even on a low carb diet. For most sandwiches I use lettuce in place of the bread and make lettuce wraps instead. It's just hard to make toast with lettuce.

The Best Keto bread

1 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
6 Large eggs Separated
1/4 cup Butter melted
1 Tbs Baking powder
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar It’s ok if you don’t have this
1 pinch Pink Himalayan Salt
6 drops Liquid Stevia optional
1 tablespoon active dry yeast optional for a more traditional "bread" flavor. Will not make bread
rise.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375.
Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Add Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat until soft peaks are achieved.
In a food processor combine the egg yolks, 1/3 of the beaten egg whites, melted butter, almond flour, baking powder and salt (Adding ~6 drops of liquid stevia to the batter can help reduce the mild egg taste). Mix until combined. This will be a lumpy thick dough until the whites are added.
Add the remaining 2/3 of the egg whites and gently process until fully incorporated. Be careful not to over mix as this is what gives the bread it’s volume!
Pour mixture into a buttered 8×4 loaf pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Check with a toothpick to ensure the bread is cooked through. Enjoy! 1 loaf makes 20 slices. Refrigerate left overs.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I needed something to do, it rained all night & rained all day so I decided to make more bread to learn how to use the new kitchen oven. I made a recipe that never fails, 2 C bread flour, 1 C very warm water, 1¼ tsp salt, 1 T sugar, 1 tsp yeast. Proof yeast, kneed dough, let rise, kneed again, let rise, bake 350°F for 30 minutes in metal bread pan. I put a large cast iron skillet in the oven 45 minutes to get hot, then I set the bread pan in the skillet. The hot skillet was the magic trick that made the bread cook on bottom and not be raw dough on bottom. I put 2 teaspoons of garden fennel seeds & some black pepper in this dough. Wow bread turned out extra good.

Toast, cheese, sausage, blackberry jam, for breakfast.
Attachments
100_9616.JPG
100_9617.JPG
100_9619.JPG
100_9610.JPG
100_9611.JPG
100_9612.JPG
100_9613.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I tried to make Artisan no Kneed Bread but it kept sticking to the mixing bowl & everything it touches. I tried 3 times to get it out of the bowl an not destroy it then finally threw it into a bread pan & baked it. Its not the round hard loaf I wanted.
Attachments
100_0727.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It still looks great Gary. Your humidity must be high. I like baking because it is more of a proportional math problem than cooking which is flying by the seat of your pants. The exception of course is bread. Humidity throws off the rising times as well as the amount of flour you have to add. Having to add up to a cup of flour is not really precise and that is when it takes experience to know what a bread dough should look and feel like. I can never get bread to rise in the rain. I tried it once, what a disaster!

I like your simple recipe. I might try it sometime when I have a lot of time on my hands and room in the freezer. I have half a loaf of bread in the freezer and it may still last me another 3-4 weeks.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Blueberry Cornbread. This is so good. Make a cornbread mix then stir in 1 cup of blueberries. Serve muffins with real butter. You can also bake this in a 9" baking pan.
Attachments
BlueberryCorn.jpg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I baked a loaf of WW bread today - this time, using some spelt flour. This was something that I bought by accident - stupid me :rolleyes: - but when I got a bag of what I thought was dark rye (the other 3 were, and is usually the only flour I get at the Amish market), as soon as I emptied it into the (fortunately) empty container, I saw the red color. Sooooo, I figured I'd make stuff for a lady I know, that uses spelt for the few things she bakes - says it doesn't bother her, like hard wheat, for some reason.

For the liquid in this, I used some of the whey drained from yogurt, when making Greek yogurt. Took a little longer to rise, due to the acid, but the flavor wasn't as sour as I was expecting. I only rose it 100 min, to start, then close to an hour in the pan. Same proportions of the same stuff I put in rye all the time - 1/2 tb salt, 2 tb blackstrap, and 2 tb oil, to just under 4 c flour. and about 1 1/4 c whey, to a tb Instant yeast.
ImageUnbaked spelt bread - made with yogurt cheese whey, for the liquid. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked spelt/yogurt whey bread by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Over the last 3 days I've been making that favorite rye bread of mine - Old MW Rye - but this time with barley flour, instead of the rye. I had some leftover "barley flakes", which I use in a lot of cookies, so I decided to grind them to flour, and got about 3 cups of flour. So I started the fermentation with instant yeast 3 days early - it smelled great, as well as the baked bread, though I'm not sure if it's better than rye. And too hot to cut it yet.
ImageWW barley bread, with the barley flour replacing the rye flour, in a favorite bread of mine. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Korean Bread Recipe.

2 cups of bread flour
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
2 T butter
1 tsp yeast
1 cup warm 110° milk

Proof yeast in warm milk for 20 minutes then mix into the flour mixture. Knead dough for 15 minutes until it becomes elastic no longer sticky, then let it rise until double in size. Push dough down flat force out all the air then knead a 2nd time let it rise until double in size. Push dough down flat force out all the air then knead a 3rd time let it rise until double in size in butter coated Bread Pan, butter the dough too. Bake 35 minutes at 350°F. Remove cooked bread from pan right away.

I filled my cast iron skillet with warm water 110°F and maintain 110°, turn stove burner on for 20 seconds several times in 45 minutes. Dough pan sets in warm water bath to rise. This works better than anything I have tried dough doubles in size every 45 minutes.

I forgot this new larger bread pan needs 3 cups of flour recipe not 2 cups.

I will make this recipe more often bread tastes very good it turned out much better than the other recipe I often use.
Attachments
100_3494.JPG
100_3493.JPG
100_3492.JPG
100_3491.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Good baking weather! So I baked 2 more loaves of rye, starting the sponge 3 days ago. I made 2 more loaves of the Old Milwaukee rye bread, this time with just the last cup of flour being white bread flour, only because I had used the end of the WW (besides some in the freezer, plus some whole wheat berries).
ImageRisen Old Milwaukee rye loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageOld Milwaukee rye loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had some really ripe bananas I had to use, so I made some banana date nut bread.
ImageBanana date nut bread by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

This is actually a cake — a popular steamed spongecake called “kastella”
42FBB606-2DB8-475B-8648-A0A0AD53566C.jpeg
I played around with the recipe a bit and used a mixture of mandarin orange infused water, yogurt, and chickpea flour as substitute for milk. A part of sugar subbed with allulose, a part of cake flour replaced with whole wheat flour. We were out of honey so I used apricot preserve.

Separated out the batter and blended with matcha powder and raspberry preserve to drizzle around in a nod to March 3rd’s Girls Day we just had.

The recipe uses the rice cooker — the original recipe used a 3-cup size, but mine is a 5-cup size, so the cake turned out a bit spread out. I might try adjusting the recipe next time, but I’m trying to only make enough to last the day since my family has a bad habit of not finishing the last couple of servings for days until nobody wants it any more….. :roll:

I thought it turned out great. My family’s initial reaction was mixed — they said the green portion put them off at first, but after a few bites they realized it was really good and asked for seconds :lol:

(Everyone here likes matcha flavor ice cream and “matcha fortified green tea with roasted brown rice” so I would have been surprised if they said no to the matcha kastella — anyway, they’ve had store bought ones before)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Some more of my favorite today - old Milwaukee rye bread! Started it a few days ago, and finished today, in between some trips outside, during the brief showers. It smelled so good when I'd come back in the house, once it was baking!
ImageOld Milwaukee rye bread, ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished old Milwaukee rye bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

I have been craving bread. I don't know why. I rarely eat it. I used to make mini sally lunn loaves, but I can't find my recipe. Those were good since they were like making brown and serve mini buns I could make ahead and freeze and bake them off when I wanted them. I have to enjoy seeing your bread instead.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here's that rye bread I baked on the grill, since I was heating it up for something else to start with, and I really don't want to heat up the ovens inside now!
ImageRye bread, about 3/4 risen, to be baked on grill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRye half baked, getting ready to switch them. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRye bread baked in grill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

I never thought you could bake bread on a grill. I thought you would need a forno to bake bread outside. It's marvelous!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I fired up all burners on high in the beginning, to heat that pizza stone, then turned off the left two and left the two on the right on high, to keep it a little over 400° for that okra dish. When done with that, I left the burner on the far right on high, and the one next to it on around 1/3 heat, to get the heat around 350°, though a little lower far away from it - this is why halfway through I rotate it all 180°, so it bakes evenly. You'll have to experiment with your own grill, but it works great!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a rye bread yesterday, that started out as bread sticks, but ended up as a larger piece of dough, so I made it into a loaf!

I started by putting some mashed potatoes (actually flakes, made into mashed - the only thing I use this for), but had to many for the amount I usually make (around 32 oz, or slightly less) for 8 bread sticks, to go on one sheet in the convection oven. Since I like potato in breads, I just had the idea to put some in these, but I should have weighed the potato, before and after adding the water, so I knew how much I had! Anyway, I ended up with a 41+oz piece of dough, so I ended up making a large loaf, in the clay pot shown here. It only has, in addition to the generous cup of potato, 1/4 c water + 1 tb yeast, 1 c WW flour, plus 1/3 c gluten, and the rest of the flour is rye (about 3 c). Not as much molasses as usual, so it's lighter, and a half tb salt, and the usual caraway, and a little nigella. I rose it twice, since it didn't get that usual preferment that I use for bread.

This bread was very much like an early favorite rye bread of mine - a potato rye with a cup of potato to 2 c ww and 4 c rye. The essential wheat gluten in this made it rise more, however.

I usually don't bake just one loaf, but this came at the right time, as my weather is getting hot again, so I don't want to heat things up again!
ImageA large loaf of potato rye bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked loaf of potato rye bread, about 41 oz by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

About a week ago I made another one of those loaves of potato rye, in that clay pot. Yesterday, I baked another loaf of bread, this time it was a WW oat bran, around 2 lbs, with 1/2 c of oat bran added (Like last week, only one loaf, because the freezer is packed!) - I had run out of rye, and was too lazy to grind another batch of rye flour up! I started it the night before, with a soaker and a biga, then finished it yesterday. I also put some caraway, and a little nigella seeds in it, like I do rye bread all the time.
ImageWW oat bran sandwich bread, a little before putting in oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageWW oat bran sandwich bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I baked an unusual loaf of bread late last night - a Rosemary Potato Whole Grain Bread. I based this on a recipe that was just WW flour, plus the mashed potato, but a couple of days ago I made a sort of a biga, with some oat and sorghum flours, plus some buttermilk (which I used for the later liquid in the bread) and a small amount of yeast, which eventually rose very well, and smelled very good fermented. It smelled like I used beer in the bread, when I took the pan out of the oven! It has 2 tb of chopped rosemary - more than any rosemary bread I have made before, though I don't know how it will taste yet.
The dough wasn't quite elastic enough just after the KA kneading, for 8 minutes, but after the 3 turns it got very elastic - I knew that 1/4 c gluten would make up for the 1 1/2 c of the two non-gluten flours.
ImageA biga, for a large loaf of bread, started with some oat and sorghum flours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRosemary whole grain bread, finished with the kneading. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRosemary whole grain bread, after 3rd turning, ready to do the final rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAfter about 95 minutes rise, ready to punch down. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageReady to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRosemary whole grain bread, just out of the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBread out of the pan, cooling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Wow that addition of gluten really helps! :D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had some leftover sambar, from last night, but I also made a few roti, to have with it this time. I used a heaping tb of golden flax seed, and a heaping tb of sorghum flour, blended together, until seeds were ground up. Then I mixed that with 1/2 c of WW atta flour, and a little salt, then added 1/4 c yogurt, and just enough water to make a dough with it. I let it sit 20 minutes or so, then rolled out 3 balls, and pressed them into about 6" roti. I cooked them in a CI skillet, over medium heat.
ImageFirst roti, just put in the medium hot CI skillet. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFirst roti, just flipped. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSecond roti, flipped a second time, to show the browned second side. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday I made a 1 loaf bread recipe then we used part of the dough to make pizza crust and the rest of the dough to make cinnamon rolls. I told wife not to pour that sugar topping on my 2 rolls I want to eat them like cinnamon bread but after getting the topping made she forgot. I wiped topping off 1 of the rolls and ate it.
Attachments
100_6079.JPG
100_6080.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Three days ago, I dug out (while getting something else that was buried in my fridge) my firm sourdough starter - not used for about 7 or 8 months, and it's amazing how good that stuff keeps! I refreshed a small amount of it overnight, then yesterday I refreshed a little more, and in 6 hours that was ready to use - liquid starters would take much longer to reactivate. I took the usual 10 g, to refresh before putting back in the fridge, and used the approx. 70 g of starter to make the sour rye starter, with 170 g filtered water and 190 g (about 1 1/2 c). I set that to rise the rest of yesterday, and part of today - about 36 hours.

Late last night, using a recipe from Peter Reinhart's WHOLE GRAIN BREADS - the Whole Wheat Mash Bread as a reference. I made what he terms a "mash", using 300 g water, 120 g WW flour, and 1 g (1/2 tsp) diastatic malt powder. 165° water is whisked with the flour in a small, lidded saucepan, along with the malt powder - temp drops to about 150°, then it is covered, and put a 150° oven for 3 hours, to let the enzymes go to work. It is cooled covered, overnight.

In late morning on bake day, the sour starter was getting a generous aroma, and this was put in the KA bowl, with the mash, 4 tsp salt, 1 tb caraway seed, 1 tsp nigella seed, 1 tb (20 g) honey, 21 g neutral oil, 3 tb essential wheat gluten (optional, but helps with the rye) and 255 g, or about 2 c WW flour, with about a cup more to add. I use the flat beater to totally mix all this, then switch to the dough hook, then process it on medium, about 6-7 min, adding just enough WW flour to make it clear the sides, but still slightly stuck to the very bottom. The model recipe was all WW, and had some instant yeast added with the final ingredients, but I used the rye starter, and left the yeast out.

This turned out a 51.6 oz (1463 g) ball of dough, which I sprayed with oil, and set to rise - took about 2 1/2 hrs to double, which is fast, for just the sourdough starter! I split it into 2 loaves, shaped them, and placed in sprayed, NS loaf pans, then covered, for final rise - started with 45 minutes, then after another 30 minutes, it was ready to bake - again, fast for sourdough!

The smell was incredible after about 20 minutes! It cooled about 1½ hrs, and I couldn't wait any longer! Only slightly warm still, and the flavor is great - sour, but not too sour, and good texture. Will be making a sandwich on it, with some Seltzer's Lebanon Bologna, which I have unopened in the fridge.

I'll definitely make this again, after tweaking the recipe.
ImageReally old firm starter, refreshed twice, starter already rising. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRye starter, after about 36 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Imagefinished sour rye dough, just started rising. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFully risen sour rye dough, after about 150 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageTwo sour rye loaves rising, 25.8 oz each. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRisen sour rye dough, ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished sourdough rye/WW bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSliced sourdough rye bread by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Baked another loaf of WW rye bread last night, with an overnight biga. As usual, a tb of caraway seeds, plus 1/4 tsp nigella, and a large pinch (probably about 1/8 tsp) of ajwain - a seed I usually forget about, that I didn't like as much as caraway on its own (tried it once kneaded into a single bread stick), but it's good combined with the others.
ImageAnother WW rye bread, made with an overnight biga. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a batch of bread to eat with the soup today. This was very wet, like a ciabatta, though this bread didn't really get the open mesh - probably because it was more hurried than usual - only took 5 hrs, start to finish. Has 40% ww flour, and 83% hydration, so it was very wet! I baked it in the small CI Dutch oven, lined with parchment.
ImageBread dough, made in food processor, rising. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRisen bread dough, poured into CI pan, on top of parchment. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBread dough rising more, before putting it in the 425 degree convection oven, for 40 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBread cooked 30 minutes, before removing the lid, and reducing heat to 350. temp was only to 190 degrees. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished bread, reaching 203 degrees. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished bread, cooling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageNot open mesh, like ciapatta should be, but very light, and absorbent, to eat with the soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I made bread. 50 years ago bread recipe on the 5 lb. flour package said to kneed for 10 minutes. When dough is double in size kneed 10 more minutes. When dough is double in size bake 375° F for 30 minutes. Dough is not easy to kneed 10 minutes I have been taking a short cut for 50 years only kneeding a few minutes. Bread turned out perfect, best looking bread I have made in 50 years. Perfect rise and perfect shape. I buttered the top then I cut off 2 slices for us to eat. I used the new bread pan I bought last year it makes a 3 cup of flour recipe. Smaller bread pans are 2 cups of flour.
Attachments
100_6298.JPG
100_6306.JPG
100_6307.JPG
100_6325.JPG

applestar
Mod

Your recent bread posts have me wanting to try to get better at making bread.

I’m going to start …soon.

I just saw this today and want to try it —

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/yqcZ02A5HZQ?feature=share

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made some bread sticks today - with WW and sorghum (jowar) flour - to eat with that leftover dal I had quite a bit of! Easier to make than most flatbreads, since all can be cooked in one batch. Not that I'd mind standing over the range for those flatbreads, in this kind of weather we're having! :lol:
Image7 of 8 bread sticks, made with WW and sorghum (jowar) flour. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

When it is cold and wet, how do you proof your bread?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I always just proof it at room temp., just a little longer. Plus, it's always a few degrees warmer in my kitchen, due to all those pilot lights on my range! :lol: That's why I turn most of them off, once I start running my AC.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”