Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Make your own bacon with garden Herbs and Spices.

You can make bacon from pork belly's but it is easier and cost less to us low cost grocery store bacon that is already sliced but does not have much flavor.

Today Kroger and Walmart both had cheap $2.50 lb. bacon I bought 10 lbs. You have to experiment to find flavors you like. Things that sound good often taste bad, and things that don't sound good often are the best. Real maple syrup is good and molasses is always food too. Liquid smoke sucks.

Recipe 1
Rub maple syrup on bacon, sprinkle in salt, black pepper, thyme, marjoram, parsley leaves.

Recipe2
Rub bacon with Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup. Sprinkle on salt, black pepper, garlic powder.

Recipe3
Rug bacon with spaghetti sauce, then salt, pepper, bay leaf, oregano.

Recipe4
Lemon pepper.

Recipe5
Grape jelly, salt, black pepper.

Recipe6
1 DARK Foreign beer boil off 95% of the liquid to get the malt extract. Rub bacon with malt extract syrup, salt.

Resipe7
Slice and dice, onion, bell pepper, garlic, Cilantro. Mix with bacon in a zip lock bag in frig for 1 week.

Stack bacon in a stack, wrap in plastic keep in refrigerator 1 week before cooking.

Use your imagination with herbs, spices, onion, garlic, tomatoes, etc.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Recipe #2 is photo #2 it turned out to be very good. This is much better than $6 Oscar Mayer bacon which is the best bacon in the store. I may try to improve this recipe an make it better. Maybe slightly more Maple Syrup, Worcestershire sauce, and Salt. I was a little bit stingy with the added flavors on the first experiment I was worried it would be too much.

Rub bacon with Worcestershire sauce and Real Maple Syrup. Sprinkle on salt, black pepper, garlic powder.

https://www.wochurch.org/media/sermons/
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

Better bacon, I like that.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We tried Recipe #3 today I am surprised at how good this recipe is. WOW.

Recipe3
Rug bacon with spaghetti sauce, then salt, pepper, bay leaf, oregano.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Do you smoke your bacon or just let it sit in the frig and then cook? We have been trying different recipes with our own pigs and it is great. The husband doesn't like sweet but more peppery. He smokes it though after it sits in the frig. It is great, though we probably need to buy a meat slicer so the pieces get a little thinner.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

sweetiepie wrote:Do you smoke your bacon or just let it sit in the frig and then cook? We have been trying different recipes with our own pigs and it is great. The husband doesn't like sweet but more peppery. He smokes it though after it sits in the frig. It is great, though we probably need to buy a meat slicer so the pieces get a little thinner.
I am buying very cheap $2.50 bacon then adding flavor like the bacon companies do. Cheap bacon has already been cured and sliced I am adding flavor like the bacon companies do to make better good flavor bacon. I am not smoking the bacon. I did add smoke flavor from a bottle it was very bad stuff so not doing that again.

Parsley leaves on bacon did not work so today I put fresh parsley, salt, black pepper, spaghetti sauce, soy sauce, in the kitchen blender with red wine and water. Now I am soaking bacon in the liquid for 7 days to soak up flavor. Next week I will fry the bacon to see how this batch turned out.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Worcestershire sauce is not a good flavor for bacon. First test batch had a very small amount of Worcestershire sauce, second test batch had more Worcestershire sauce. I am glad I only made 8 slices with Worcestershire sauce on the last batch we ate 4 slices and don't want the other 4.

applestar
Mod

I'm following your experiments. 8) This is fun! :D

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”