digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Storage Veggies Soup

I'm not much of a cook but I'm always willing to try. It has to be a fairly simple recipe and fit the ingredients I'm likely to have at hand.

Starting with non-storage (usually) tomatoes, I mentioned in the tomato forum that I wanted to take the final 2 tomatoes that finally ripened and use them in soup. I did just that, microwaved at the last minute with turkey, rice, carrots and mushrooms, cooked in broth. I put some hot pepper with the chopped tomatoes and used a blend of Mexican grated cheeses. Very tasty.

Usually, I make a cream of tomato soup with those final few. Half & half works well but I've just learned that creamed cheese can be used.

DW and I don't often have milk or half & half around. Soymilk is always in the fridge so I wanted to try an appropriate use for that in a cream soup. I think I have found one - link!

No, broccoli doesn't count as a storage veggie either but that was where I started. The tahini and chick peas aren't common ingredients for us but after enjoying the Creamy Broccoli Soup, we decided that pureed chick peas could be mixed with the tahini and frozen for later soups!

Next, I have to do something with some parsnips. I haven't decided to risk going the vegan route but this Whole Foods recipe is very similar to what we have enjoyed before. Now, do I dare substitute out the half & half ;)?

I grew white beets this year. I haven't really cared for borscht when I've tried it in the past. DW doesn't like the color of beets. Well, I've got white beets! I won't be serving it cold but a cream of white beet soup sure seems like it would be worth the risk. I doubt if I'll find any recipes online to confuse me ;).

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I risked the substitution :).
IMG_20151202_121450454.jpg
2nd bowl ;)

Steve

applestar
Mod

Mmmmmm! These all sound so TASTY! And just the thing for dreary, dark, drizzly day like today. :D

imafan26
Mod

Soup sounds good now and it looks yummy.

applestar
Mod

All this soup talk has made me hungry for a blended soup. :>

Mine was a leftover steak dinner and squash soup -- literally a dinner plate of a steak, a mound of corn, an onion ring and 1/2 a slice of rye bread and a deli-barrel dill pickle spear, diced, a bit of pickled ginger plus store bought yellow carrots and my own chopped onions and garlic, and freezer stored fennel bulb and squash from the garden, 2 slices of 10-grain bread from the freezer, chili powder, pumpkin pie spice blend, sea salt, butter, olive oil, rice milk and apple cider vinegar, white wine.... Not actually in those order, but browned, deglazed, and simmered then blended smooth-ish with a stick blender and slow cooked with bay leaf and kaffir lime leaves.

Served with a dollop of sour cream and garnished with freezer stored fennel and dill greens. Believe it or not, actually very Yum Yum!!! :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Wow, AppleStar!

The complexity of those combinations - I bet it was good :D.

I can't match it with the simplicity of my Cream of White Beets. I used a slight teaspoon of the beef paste as in pho noodles, and honey mustard. The crackers are honey mustard wheat thins ... The cilantro wasn't a bad idea ;) !
December 8, 2015 55824 PM PST.png
Steve

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”