digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: Noodles

Honestly, this is the way I usually prepare fish:
IMG_20160111_093253107.jpg
I should have included the bottles of Mrs Dash and onion salt. Variety is the spice of my life ;)! The marinade is the next step for variety and one I have tried only a few times.

There is nothing new about me using marinades for beef, however. Beef for a stir-fry especially spends time in a marinade, almost always.

I'm planning on getting away from using cured meats as a stir-fry choice. Smoky is what I need! This winter I intend to learn how much smoked pepper in marinades might limit my interest in (craving for?) bacon and sausage.

Maybe, a smoked pepper marinade
even for tilapia, like in the picture but we are going just with the Zatarains and garlic salt for today's lunch.

I find marinades as very useful and requiring little of me beyond remembering to get the meat in there at the right time :D !

Steve

applestar
Mod

I had shucked oysters to make something with, so I drained and reserved the liquid, dusted oysters with seasoned (sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, my own chili powder, dried thyme, dried oregano) potato starch, then quickly pan-fried with diced bacon rendered in butter-olive oil-sunflower oil, added chopped onions, then the oyster liquor fortified with tangueray and sake then strained. Added about half jar of marinara sauce and when bubbling, added cooked linguini, then finished with dried celery.

This whipped up together on the fly pasta turned out to be yummy — even my DD#2 liked it — but what was even more special is I found a teeny tiny pearl in a mouthful — I nearly crunched it down but realized this “grit” was perfectly spherical. Maybe not even 1/8” :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

There are 100s of things you can do with noodles. Yesterday just for fun I made a batch of my grandmothers egg noodles. Scramble 2 eggs with 1 teaspoon of salt then add enough all purpose flour to make a dough. Roll out like a pie crust thin as you can flour both sides very well. My grandmother and mother both rolled the dough up like a jelly roll then cut into very thin slicks. I like to cut flat dough into 2" wide strips. Stack all the strips on top of each other then start at 1 end cutting the stack off in very thin slices. Stir the sliced in with flour so they have a nice coating and do not stick together then sprinkle noodles all over the kitchen counter top to dry. Every 30 minutes stir the noodles with flour for about 4 hours. Sift out the extra flour noodles are ready to cook. They get about 5 times larger when they cook. Extra noodles can be frozen until needed.

I bought a quart of vegetable stock at the grocery store, when it came to a boil I started stirring in the home made noodles. Wife made a recipe of chicken pot pie filling we put the filling over the home made noodles. Beef Stroganoff is good over noodles too but I have not made that in 40 years I don't eat much beef anymore. Noodles are good in salads, spaghetti, lasagna, and lots of oriental dishes.

Roman Noodles are good too they come with several different flavor packs.

Here is my favorite Oriental Soup recipe.

Boil 2 cups of chicken broth in a pot, stir fast to get it spinning like a tornado then slowly pour in 1 scrambled egg and keep stirring for 30 seconds more.

Mix 2 tablespoons of corn starch with 2 tablespoons white vinegar then 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce then add this mix to the chicken broth.

Stir in 1 tablespoon of cooked rice, 1 tablespoon noodles, 1 tablespoon thin sliced carrots, 1 tablespoon peas, 1 tablespoon chopped broccoli, and some sliced mushrooms, boil about 3 minutes it is ready to eat.

Serve hot garnish with chopped green onions.

Someone mentioned fish. I hate the fishy taste of fish but after a guy from Alaska showed me how to cook fish now I love fish. Put a sheet of aluminum foil on the counter top for each piece of fish. Cut 2 or 3 slices of onion place them on the aluminum foil then place the fish on top of the onion slices. Next slice a lemon in about 10 thin slices cover the top of each fish with lemon slices. Put a tablespoon of soft butter on the foil then wrap the foil around each fish. Place the fish in the hot oven bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. If fish is thicker than 3/4" cook 20 minutes. Time to eat. WOW this is good.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”