william8416
Newly Registered

need help making and canning a cream of mushroom soup

I have picked I good size sheephead mushroom and need help making and canning a cream of mushroom soup

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the Forum! Do you have a pressure canner? Creamy and non-acid dishes must be pressure canned.

The Vegetarian Epicure has a lovely cream of mushroom soup recipe: potage les deux champignons (two mushroom soup)
  • *3 cups potato peel broth/ soup stock
    *3/4 lb fresh mushrooms
    *3 Tbs flour
    *3 Tbs butter
    *1 cup heavy cream
    *2 Tbs sherry
    *1 tsp salt
    *black pepper to taste
    *parsley for garnish
It is only one kind of mushroom, but texture interest comes from having some of them cooked and some raw. Wash them all carefully and set aside four or five for the garnish and slice the rest.

Cook the mushrooms in the soup stock until they are very tender, then drain off the broth, which is now a very dark, aromatic mushroom stock. Slice the cooked mushrooms or puree them (but nothing in between). Make a roux of the butter and flour, gently a little at a time add in the mushroom broth, stirring constantly. Once all the mushroom broth has been added back in, cook for 10-15 min, stirring often, then stir in the cream and the sherry, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add a little chopped parsley. Add the sliced or pureed mushrooms and let it all heat through.

Slice thinly the whole raw mushrooms which you set aside at the beginning and float several of these slices on each bowl of hot soup. Makes 4-5 servings.

Someone else will have to tell you how to pressure can your mushroom soup. I don't have a pressure canner and haven't done it. If you have one, it probably came with instructions. Here's one thread we had in the past about pressure canning cream soups:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... ng#p349671

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally, I just made this recipe myself last night and it was wonderful!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”