Susan W
Greener Thumb

Squash bread

I made the usual weekly batch of bread using squash. I use acorn or butternut. This was a small b-nut from fellow vendor who had a bad ding in one.

Rinse the squash, cut in cubes, toss seeds, stem, bad spots in compost. Put in saucepan covered with water, simmer, and simmer some more. Use that water that has a bit of pulp as liquid in your yeast bread recipe. I toss the cooked out squash into compost.
Proceed as usual with your regular recipe. I use naturally white flour, some rolled oats put through blender, add graham flour, spelt, brown rice flour. I've been adding some navy bean flour (another fellow vendor). I usually sweeten with honey (local), and this time used sorghum (local). And yes, yeast, butter and some salt. No 2 batches alike.

The squash water could be used in bread, muffin or other recipes. Be creative!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

This sounds good. I like recipes like this that are a bit different. I'm going to try this squash bread idea someday. Thanks.
:-()

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Squash in the bread recipe really moistens and softens the finished product. That's been my experience, anyway.

Lots of people enjoy potato bread. I find that potatoes add very little flavor. Squash is the way to go, although carrot puree is also a good choice. A carrot yeast bread in a Sunset cookbook is what I use for both breads. Last year, with an overabundance of Jack o'lantern pumpkins, I used one of those.

There isn't too much I found as good use for the pumpkins. Dessert bread was about the best tasting but all that sugar ...! For the first time ever, I used a pumpkin instead of a winter squash for "pumpkin" pie. Now, these were not special pumpkins for such things and I like "pumpkin" pie too much to try Jack o'lantern pumpkins for that again. If anyone is interested in experimenting, the best recipes I found for them was as a substitute for zucchini in some things. Unlike zucchini, those pumpkins stored well for me. Oh, and then there was that Half Moon Bay dessert bread ...

Steve

Sweyn

Susan W wrote:I made the usual weekly batch of bread using squash. I use acorn or butternut. This was a small b-nut from fellow vendor who had a bad ding in one.

Rinse the squash, cut in cubes, toss seeds,
You don't need to.

7 reasons to roast your squash seeds

Do you know what you're missing when you toss away the seeds with the pulp?

https://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/ ... uash-seeds

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”