ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Stunning Stuffed Eggplant

Hi Guys and Gals,

I really out did myself last night with the best stuffed Eggplant ever.

In a heavy skillet brown 1 package mild Italian sausage - removed from skin (you can use ground meat but add a lot of herbs). It is best if just a little ink.

I had 2 medium Eggplants. Cut them lengthwise and scoop out the meat leaving a 1/8" to 1/4" layer of meat. Cube the eggplant meat.

Salt the inside of the shells and coat them with olive oil.

Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a heavy sauté pan or skillet add enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Heat on medium high (6 or 7 on an electric range.) When hot add 1 large onion diced. Cook stirring frequently for 2 or 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced. Cook until just fragrant.

Add whole peeled tomatoes drained (reserve liquid) If you have your own beautiful, fresh tomatoes scald them for 1 minute, dunk in ice water, peel and seed. Strain seeds and reserve liquid. Add the tomato meat to your pan.

*NOTE: I had some homemade Salsa Verde - Tomatillo Salsa - I used that instead of tomatoes. :eek:

Add

1 small bell pepper, cored and diced.
1 Jalapeno, cored and minced
6 to 8 Baby Bella Mushrooms , coarse chopped
4 green onions - whites and greens - sliced

Add the cubed eggplant.
Add browned meat.

Cook until Eggplant is mostly tender. If your mixture is too dry add tomato water. Add sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. If you need more garlic add granulated garlic.

Line a baking pan with foil. Set the shells in the pan. Stuff the shells with the vegetable/meat mixture. Stuff them FULL! Drizzle with olive oil and cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes.

While baking prepare topping.

I used Garlic Herb Bread crumbs. I don't care for Italian Bread Crumbs. You can also use plain bread crumbs or Panko and add your own seasoning.

Mix the bread crumbs with a generous amount of grated Parmesan Reggiano or Aged Assiago cheese.

Remove the foil and top the Eggplant with the topping. Drizzle with olive oil.
Bake for another 10 minutes uncovered.

Serve with pan grilled asparagus and Brussel's and a nice salad.

For non meat eaters like RBG use twice as many mushrooms - or more - for a meaty texture. Also add a Zucchini and a yellow squash - cubed.

Next time I will cook half a dozen Eggplants and freeze them.

We are having the second eggplant for dinner tonight.

:-()

imafan26
Mod

Sounds delicious.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”