Kay103

First Time Canning

This weekend was my first time canning.

It isn't much but I am pretty proud of it.

I had home-grown carrots as well as carrots in my fridge that were soon going to go bad so I canned those.

I also took some home-grown beets and canned those.
And I have my first Roma Super Sauce Hybrid tomato ripe, so I took that some fresh garlic, onion and basil and made homemade tomato sauce and canned.
IMG_9565.jpg
IMG_9565.jpg (24.41 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
I'm pretty proud of the outcome. Plus it was all hot water bath canning.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Oh, I love canning, it saves so much space in the freezer and saves food too. It is a great feeling to put away for yourself and family.

That's why I hate to say this. Maybe you know and plan on using them up soon. If so please ignore me --

The tomato sauce has enough acid that it is fine water bathed canned. BUT the carrots and beets should be pressure canned to keep for any amount of time and to be considered safe. Carrots should be 30 minutes at 10 for quarts and Beets are 35 minutes at 10.

I love trying different sauce recipes. I love my sphaghetti sauce but am still looking for a good BBQ sauce.

applestar
Mod

I wondered about that, too. Are they pickled carrots and beets?

I like waterbath canning because it's pretty easy and there are great tested and safe recipes to follow. But that pressure canner is becoming more and more attractive and is trying to move up to the top of my want/need list. 8)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Even Tomatoes become problematic when low acid additions are made. I prefer to keep the sauce plain and add the extras at the time of cooking.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”