JayPoc
Greener Thumb

best thing I've ever eaten...BLT Pizza

This sounded weird to me when I first heard of it, so bear with me. When done right, it's almost unfathomable how good it is.

Ingredients:

6 slices of your favorite thick cut bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces and fried until not quite done.
Pizza crust - whatever you normally use
Pizza cheese - see above
GOOD tomatoes
Lettuce
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Mayo
Black pepper
Lots and lots of napkins

Brush the crust liberally with olive oil, and hit it with a good shot of garlic powder. Top with the bacon and cheese, and bake as you normally would until done.

(now the weird part). After the pizza has cooled just a little, slather the top with mayo and black pepper. Immediately sprinkle with shredded lettuce, and top with a mixture of really great tomatoes. Today I used oranje van gojiienbier and grandma Oliver's chocolate.

It's so very, very, very good.

applestar
Mod

Hmm.... It does sound strange but I'm game! I'll try this when my tomatoes start rolling in 8)

oranje van gojiienbier -- this one I had not heard of before. Not much info on the net.
Is it sweet? Will it be coming back next year in your garden?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Hmm.... It does sound strange but I'm game! I'll try this when my tomatoes start rolling in 8)

oranje van gojiienbier -- this one I had not heard of before. Not much info on the net.
Is it sweet? Will it be coming back next year in your garden?
Yes, these. I'm as terrible at describing a tomato tasting as I am at spelling (or is it lazy? I just call them OVG). They all taste like a variation on a theme to me, and I love most of them. These are sweet, but not too sweet, with a bright flavor. Very tasty. See the attached picture. As a size reference, they are about 2 times bigger than the "grape" tomatoes typical in a grocery store. Imagine a golf ball stretched into an oval. I will definitely plant them again assuming I have some seed left. If not, I might just have to ask Don for some more. I love them.

Edit: I'll try to get a new picture or two with a size comparison and post them here shortly....

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Here are three sort of average sized ones. Most have been right around this size, a few bigger and a few smaller.

Next to a good old fashioned USDA grade A "large" hen's egg.

applestar
Mod

Oooh I like! I will have to go on a search for seeds.
(Are you not saving seeds from your tomatoes?)

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Oooh I like! I will have to go on a search for seeds.
(Are you not saving seeds from your tomatoes?)
I have saved seeds in the past, but I made no effort to bag blossoms, etc., this year. I'll likely save some seed, but I certainly can't guarantee it's purity...

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

OK...I had the materials in the fridge, and I did it again today. Still pretty dang tasty. Today we used OVG, GOC, and Bison....

webmaster
Site Admin

Nice! I've had good results by first identifying the most flavorful ingredient, the ingredient that carries the flavor of the pizza on it's shoulders, then dropping it into the food processor so that it's well chopped but not finely ground. This works for sausages, bacon, olives, etc. Spread the result around so that it can't really be identified. The flavors are more integrated across the entire pie, rather than a chunk here and a chunk there. The flavor is in every bite! :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This doesn't sound too weird to me ;).

Imagine an Alfredo (white sauce) pizza. You have the mayo instead of the cream cheese and milk or parmesan cheese and cream sauce. Bacon goes with lettuce (of course). Check out a "wilted lettuce" salad recipe ...

I wonder if escarole would substitute well for lettuce as a variation. JayPoc. Beautiful Pictures!

Steve

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”