ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

"Fried" Boston Butt Roast

Christmas before last G received an Oil Less Turkey Fryer. It is an infrared propane fryer.

G has "fried" turkey, chickens and hens. Sunday he decided to try a bone in Boston Butt roast.

G injected the roast with Cajun Power liquid seasoning. He rubbed the out side of the roast with a paste of Cajun Power, Sea salt, Cayenne Pepper, Smoked Paprika and Granulated Garlic. I did remove the heavy fat cap.

The roast weighed 9.38 lbs. G cooked it for 4 hours. The color was beautiful. There was a wonderful, crisp bark. The meat was "falling off of the bone" tender and 3 or 4 napkin juicy.

The next time we "fry" a pork roast I want to cut slits in the meat and stuff it with minced onions, garlic and just a little Jalapeno. Sea salt and Cayenne.

G wants to try "Fried" Baby Back Ribs.

G has lots of toys that he could not live without. Most of them go unused for years at a time. This is the exception. A lot of bang for the buck.

applestar
Mod

Instantly hungry :D

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I have never tried injecting but want too. It sounds great! My husband wants to make a smoker because the one we have I guess is just not manly enough. HaHa.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Sweetie Pie - I read you loud and clear. "Boys and their toys" :wink:

G has an electric Masterbuilt smoker. It is pretty cool - 4 racks with smoke box and drip pan. What G likes is the remote that allows him to sit in his recliner and monitor or adjust the temperature. :o

My problem is that as much as he hunts he has his sausage commercially processed because actually making the sausage has gotten to be a lot of work. The smoker is at least 5 years old and I know it has not been used more than 3 or 4 times. :eek:

One time he found chickens on sale and smoked several. They went into the freezer and I used them in Gumbo. Outstanding!

This hunting season I plan to encourage him to make his own sausage. We have the smoker and a commercial grade grinder and stuffer. It is a lot of work and I will be drafted to assist. I don't mind. I much prefer our own sausage because I can control the seasoning and flavors.

Our friend with the chickens built a walk in smoke house. His wife fusses because it is underutilized.

Oh well - such a "guy thing" :hehe:

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Have any of you seen this William Shatner video re: using a turkey fryer? It's hysterical, & something I send to my daily "Smile & Quote For the Day" group every Thanksgiving.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Elizabeth, I haven't made sausage since I was a kid but we hope to this year. Hoping to use our own pork. I agree homemade sausage is so much better for just those reasons you listed. He wants a different smoker because he wants to make his own bacon, which is time consuming.

I hope you get your way. I love it when things turn out yummy.

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm going to look into this infrared cooker. I really want a smoker because it's a good way to deal with the trout and other fish I catch.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Ahhhh - smoked trout. I've never been much of a fan of freshwater fish, but smoked trout is wonderful (insert drool smilie here). I envy you. 8)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

GardeningCook - LMFAO

Deep fried turkey originated in the south. I remember frying turkeys in the early 1980's.

It can be VERY dangerous.

Tips for first timers.

Use a basket rather than a "dingle dangle".
Defrost the turkey.
Use water to test the level of oil needed.
- fill the pot half full of water
-put the defrosted turkey in the basket and immerse in the water.
-add or remove water until it just covers the top of the bird
- remove the basket and turkey
-mark the water level with a marker on the outside of the pot - that is how much oil you need
-completely dry the bird before seasoning
-heat the oil
-have your seasoned bird in the basket ready to immerse
-use oven mitts
-turn off the burner, immerse the basket into the oil then quickly re-lite the burner

Roger - the "fryer" is a Char Broil - "The Big Easy". It is about $100 at Lowe's. That has been a good investment. G's smoker is a MasterBuilt Electric Smoke House. It is a VERY nice unit. If I remember correctly it was about $400 from Lowe's. It has done a great job when G has used it. My issue is that it has been under used.

I did bring up making and smoking our own sausage this hunting season. As of now G is agreeable. :-()

I have never smoked fish and would have to do some research on the "how to". We do not have fresh water trout but we do have wonderful salt water trout - Speckled Trout and White Trout. Next to Flounder Trout is my favorite salt water fish. SOOO light and delicate with more flavor then you would expect.

We always have a good bit of Red Fish - I like it but it is not my favorite. It is not as delicate and flaky as Flounder and Trout.

Roger - how do you use your smoked fish? I am an excellent home cook and I am always looking for new ideas and techniques. The only smoked fish I have used has been smoked Salmon. I have used it in omelets, Quiche and as an appetizer. I don't have experience with smoked fish and would love to learn how to smoke it and how to use the finished product. I wonder how smoked Redfish would be.

If you Guys and Gals keep up the suggestions - and recipes - that smoker may earn it's keep.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”