GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

GardeningCook Zucchini and Goat Cheese Gratin

With summer squash season on its way, here's one of my favorite recipes that we enjoyed last night to use several early summer squash from our local farmers market:

GardeningCook Zucchini and Goat Cheese Gratin

2 medium green zucchini
2 medium gold zucchini
2 cloves garlic, peeled
Approx. 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil + more for greasing baking dish
Approx. 6 ounces soft/fresh goat cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup half-&-half or heavy cream
Approx. 1/3 to 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
Fresh leaves from several sprigs of thyme

Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly olive oil a covered 1-1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish.

Using a mandoline slice the squash & garlic paper thin. Toss in a large bowl with the olive oil, thyme leaves, salt, & pepper.

Place 1/3 of the squash slices evenly in the bottom of the dish. Dot with half of the goat cheese, scattered evenly in pieces. Repeat with another 1/3 of the vegetables and the other 1/2 of the goat cheese. Finish by layering on the final 1/3 of the vegetables.

Drizzle the half-and-half or cream over the top, then top with the parmesan cheese. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes, then uncover and bake 10 more minutes or until the top lightly browns.

(Leftovers make a nice omelet filling.)

imafan26
Mod

Sounds good. Thanks it is just in time since I just picked my first zucchini from my plant.
This is one of the ways I like to eat zucchini

Korean Fried Zucchini (Hobak Jun) Recipe

INGREDIENTS
1 medium-large zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch coins
1/2 Cup Flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp salt
1-2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil (for saute pan)

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
PREPARATION

Distribute 1 tsp salt over zucchini slices.
Add remaining 1 tsp salt to beaten egg.
Put flour and egg in separate shallow dishes next to stove.
Heat lightly greased saute pan to medium heat.
Coat zucchini coins first with flour, and then dip and coat with beaten egg and place into pan.
Saute zucchini for about 3-4 minutes per side, turning once, or until they are a light golden brown.
You can serve with the basic or spicy dipping sauces or nothing at all.

(Serves 4 as a side dish).

Total Time: 20 minutes

It goes well with a dipping sauce. See link below.
https://jundishes.com/tag/korean-dipping-sauce/

shadylane
Green Thumb

Gardeningcook how does the goat cheese work in this recipe? Is it something like cream cheese texture when heated?...The goat cheese has a robust flavor, not all my family members set well with the goat cheese taste. Just wondering about substitutions. This recipe sounds like another great way to use zucchini. Thanks for sharing.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Gardeningcook how does the goat cheese work in this recipe? Is it something like cream cheese texture when heated?...The goat cheese has a robust flavor, not all my family members set well with the goat cheese taste. Just wondering about substitutions. This recipe sounds like another great way to use zucchini. Thanks for sharing.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

shadylane wrote:Gardeningcook how does the goat cheese work in this recipe? Is it something like cream cheese texture when heated?...The goat cheese has a robust flavor, not all my family members set well with the goat cheese taste. Just wondering about substitutions. This recipe sounds like another great way to use zucchini. Thanks for sharing.
I use the plain white soft "fresh" goat cheese, so it's not extremely goaty, but you do still know it's goat cheese. I imagine plain cream cheese would work, but might be too bland. Am thinking a flavored cream cheese (onion & chives, herbed, etc.) would be better, as would one of the soft herbed cheese spreads like Boursin &/or Alouette.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Great alternatives GardeningCook, thanks for the come back :)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”