puzzlejunky
Cool Member

first cuppa dandelion tea this season

The dandelions are in bloom!

I make my tea out of just the yellow petals...the greens are good for you but taste too bitter for me.

Generous handful dandelion petals
About 2 and a half cups water

Bring to a boil and simmer with lid on low for about 7 minutes.

Strain and add raw Manuka honey or sweetener of your choice.

It's a good detox tea and helps with both anxiety and depression. Be sure to pick your dandelions from a pesticide-free lawn.

bkop1996
Newly Registered

This sounds absolutely delicious!!! :-() :-() I want to try this soon once the petals start popping up!

Have you ever tried tea from the dandelion roots? I'm slowly filling up a mason jar with the dried roots. It is very exciting to say the least.

Keep Detoxing, :flower:
Us humans need it now more than ever
Cheers!

puzzlejunky
Cool Member

My dad takes dandelion root in a pill and swears by it.

I tried the roots once. It tasted good but gave me the worst headache of my life.

I think the petals are milder in both taste and healing properties.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure about healing properties or other health effects.

I've made a coffee-substitute with dandelion roots. They are in the chicory family and I have enjoyed chicory and coffee.

The clean roots were just toasted in a cast iron skillet until dry and beginning to smoke. Then, they were put in a blender. At about 50:50 with ground coffee, they neither added nor took much away from the flavor of the coffee. It seemed like a good way for me to cut down on caffeine :).

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Here is about enough chopped roots toasting in the skillet for 8 cups at a 50:50 ratio. The fragrance in the kitchen is really quite nice at this stage.

I have never tried the blossoms as a tea. DW does not appreciate the value of the blooms in the lawn even if I might try to make a nice wine from them. She doesn't drink wine ....

Steve

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”