Susan W
Greener Thumb

herbed cream cheese

I'm looking for suggestions for herbed cream cheese. This to be put on the home made bread, mixed grain. Herbs I have fresh to pick:
oregano
marjoram
chives
rosemary
thyme
sage
lemon verbena

imafan26
Mod

chives work well with cream cheese. Maybe the lemon verbena, I haven't used it that much. I prefer to put the more savory items like rosemary in the bread dough. I don't like the aftertaste of the bitter herbs and you can't use too much because of that.
Strawberries and basil are the only other ones I have tried. But you could probably put some other fruit in like blueberries or pineapple. Sweet red pepper or Jalapeno would work too.

applestar
Mod

What about garlic powder, oregano and marjoram... Do you have dehydrated tomatoes? Crumble those and put that in and you have an Italian cream cheese -- maybe mix in some EVOO, too.

Lemon verbena and freshly ground black peppercorns.... A touch of lemon juice....

I feel like Rosemary should work, too, but can't think how. I guess you could do Rosemary and black olives, but I'm not sure if they would combine with cream cheese. Maybe Rosemary and chives.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!
Perhaps an herby mix of garlic chives, oregano and marjoram would work. A bit of lemon juice may bring out the herb-fresh flavor. I have parsley, how did I over look that one?!

In a week or 2 may be able to add a touch of dill. I have 2 pots started, and I usually don't do well with it, end up buying nice pretty full starts in April. It's a short window here sadly.

If one had pretty open face bread or crackers a sprig of salad burnet or parsley on top would be a nice touch.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I like thyme and calamata olives.

Or thyme and mushroom powder with maybe some truffle oil drizzled on top. :drool: oh goodness...on bagel chips! (my inner non-diabetic just cried a little)

I like the Italian herb, sundried tomato, garlic combo.

I also like just plain heavy black pepper.

Honey, Apple cider vinegar and roasted jalapeño together.

Basil, crushed pineapple and grated white chocolate for a little sweeeeeet dip!

imafan26
Mod

You are making me hungry!

applestar
Mod

I need to write these down! :-()

Susan if you try them before I get to, let us know what you thought.

imafan26
Mod

I do like smoked salmon and chives, but I never thought of tomatoes. I think sun dried tomatoes, basil, and garlic would do fine.

Garlic and almost any herb goes together. I don't do cream cheese so much but I do herbed butters and I can add garlic to all of them. If you want to use the rosemary, I suggest you do an herb butter instead, but I have to admit, since I found out how much easier it is to just throw the rosemary sprigs on the hot coals and make rosemary smoke, it is so much better than biting into a piece of charred rosemary on the chicken. You can still taste the rosemary smoke on the chicken but not the bitter bite.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I like thyme and caramelized onions, too. Kinda like a French onion dip!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”