applestar
Mod

Home made mayonnaise/aioli

DH forgot to get me non-soy mayo and I just a had to have some mayo with something I wanted to eat, so I made my own with EVOO -- that's why it's so green next to the regular H's for comparison.

I followed a recipe for pasteurizing an egg* before cracking it open, used a Tbs of my own hand blended yellow Dijon mustard using recipe and yellow and brown ground mustard powders from Superseeds mustard kit, EVOO* (1 cup) with a bit of coconut butter* (1/3 cup), lemon* juice (1 tbs) and white balsamic vinegar (1 tsp). Recipe said "season to taste" with no recommendations whatsoever :? So I tried 1 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt and 1/8 tsp freshly ground black and white peppers. There was a slightly bitter aftertaste -- maybe from the EVOO -- and checking H's ingredients, there was sugar, so I added a little bit of cane sugar* (1/2 tsp) and another 1/2 tsp regular Mediterranean Sea salt. This is some yummy stuff!
(I might never buy mayo again) :D
(*organic ingredients)

BTW The mustard kit came with mustard seeds to plant for next season's harvest, too. I need to think about where to plant them....

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

applestar,

Believe it or not, I have never bought mayonnaise! But then, I also haven't bought bread since '76! LOL

I used to have almost a phobia about anything with mayo in it. My Mom would save out portions of things like macaroni or potato salads, and I would put vinaigrette on them, before this was popular. Imagine her surprise when I told her that I had learned how to make mayo! This was back about the time I stopped buying bread, and was getting into cooking of all sorts, and by accident I discovered a delicious vinegar to use in mayo - white rice wine vinegar. It gives it a unique flavor, unlike any other, and combined with about twice as much lemon juice it makes for the perfect acid. I also prefer to use powdered mustard to prepared (about 3/4 tsp to 1 c mayo), as the prepared seems to overpower the flavor. But then, sometimes the mustard flavor is welcome.

As for that bitter taste you refer to, I usually cheat, and use half neutral oil and half EVOO, adding the latter at the end. I recall somebody doing some tests one time, and finding that the aerating of the EVOO was the culprit - the blender, food processor, or even by hand with a whisk, created that bitterness. He suggested beating the oil into the yolks with a fork, which was more laborious, but did away with that bitter aftertaste. As I said, I'd rather cheat, as it still has a good flavor, and the oil at the end can be beaten it fairly quickly, to prevent the aerating.

Aioli is also delicious, though it does have to be used quickly. And I have also made a sort of a mayo, using blanched Thai basil leaves (to keep the bright green color), and lime juice as the acid.

applestar
Mod

Ooh! Thanks for those tips! I'll try incorporating them in the next batch :D

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

How did you mix this up?

I've been experimenting with different tools....

The Vitamix made hot mayo soup.

The kitchen aid food processor made an ok mayo. Had to stream the oil though. It was loose, and had to have a final hand whisking before I put it in the mason jar.

The stick blender made the BEST stiff mayo, and it was the quickest method with the least amount of messy cleanup.

We just layered all the Ingedients in a tall slim mason jar, including ALL of the oil (no streaming). Then, I put the stick blender in the bottom and turned it on. When there starts to have a mayo-y look at the bottom, I just lifted and lowered the stick a few times. 45-ish seconds in all!

applestar
Mod

I used the immersion blender too. Very easy. :D

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”