Gary350
Super Green Thumb

tomato sauce with skins

I havfe t2 wyst to can otmatoes. 1 ias without the skinsnand one it with the skuns.

I learn if I puree tha whoel toxmtato skiins and alll the tomatos flavor iv verr4y stromg greet for all kunds of iitaliasn foon, pixxa, spagette, etc. But not so good for chili. Ifmmakes chilo taste lke pizaa saucr whout pizaa spises.

no tome to fix typps be rite buck in a few minutes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Emergency had to go. There sure is short time for fixing typing errors? Whats up with that?

Skins make tomato juice taste like tomato paste great for italian food but not good for soups and chili.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know, it seems odd. Sometimes I can come back the next day and edit and sometimes it closes very quickly.

imafan26
Mod

This is probably a dumb question, but I have not made tomato sauce. When you make it with the skins, do you strain it out or puree it?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

PUREE TOMATO SAUCE. I cut off the stem ends of the tomatos and throw them away. Next bring all the tomatos to a boil in a large pot for 10 minutes. Then puree the hot tomatoes in the kitchen blender before pouring the hot liquid into mason jars for cannning. The skins and seeds turn into liquid and give the tomato sauce a much better stronger tomato flavor. This is good for italian food, pizza, spagetti, ketsup, etc. but not so good in things like, chili, soups, stews.

TOMATO JUICE. Cut off the stem ends and throw them away. Cut tomatoes into 4 pieces then bring tomatoes to a boil for 10 minutes on a large pot. Strain out the skins with large hole strainer or collonder. Trash the skins unless you want to add them to the puree tomatoe sauce for a much stronger tomatoe flavor listed above. Puree the hot juice in the kitchen blender if you don't like seeds other wise pour hot juice into mason jars for canning. This is very good in chili, soup and stew.

TOMATO PASTE. Place all the tomato skins and a small about of tomato juice in the kitchen blender. Puree until the skins are liquid. This makes excellent pizza sauce, spagetti sauce and good flavor in meat loaf.

I add no salt or vinegar or anything tomatoes are all natural.

Wish I could edit subject line of this thread to read, Tomato Sauce, Tomato Juice, Tomato Paste.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Did I explain this so it makes sense?

PASTE is made from only the tomato skins.

SAUCE is made from the whole tomato, skin, and seeds.

JUICE is made from tomatoes with skins removed.

Puree about 2 minutes in kitchen blender on high speed until the solids turn to liquid.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I couldn't be bothered boiling and removing tomato skins. I made a nice tomato sauce back in the fall just by cooking them with some onion and spices, then using my immersion blender to purree, then I just chucked it in the freezer. Easy-peasy, which is what I need when I'm back to work full time in the fall. (I have the summer off.)

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I'm with KayJay; couldn't be bothered skinning tomatoes for any purpose at all. Maybe my taste is unrefined. Certainly I like to avoid unnecessary labour :). My wife does generally add a little basil when canning and I like the subtle added flavour.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”