webmaster
Site Admin

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes

Vegetarianism is mainstream and when friends and families get together for dinner I find it necessary to provide vegetarian dishes. I really need to add some tasty recipes to my repertoire.

What are your favorite Vegetarian Thanksgiving Day Recipes?

:)

imafan26
Mod

Are they vegan or ovo-lacto?

imafan26
Mod

Samosa

Ingredients
For Pastry:
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoon oil
6 tablespoon water

For Potato Stuffing:
5 medium sweet potatoes
4 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup green peas
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
1 hot green chili (finely chopped)
3 tablespoon green coriander (cilantro), chopped
1.5 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds

Oil for deep frying

Preparation
Dough for Samosa Pastry
1. Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Add 4 tablespoons oil and rub until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Slowly add about 6 tablespoons water and knead the dough for about 10 minutes or until it is smooth.
3. Rub dough with oil. Cover it and set aside for 30 minutes or longer.
Potato stuffing for Samosa
4. Boil, cool and peel the sweet potatoes. Dice it into 1/4 inch size.
5. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in karahi or wok in medium flame.
6. Lower the heat and carefully put the onion. Stir fry until golden brown in medium heat.
7. Add peas, ginger, green chili, and fresh coriander (cilantro). Add diced potatoes, salt and all spices.
8. Mix and cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes. Do not forget to stir while cooking.

Making Samosa
9. Knead the dough again. Divide it into about 10 balls.

10. Roll it into flat round shape with about 5 inch diameter.

11. Cut it into half. Make the half into a cone by sticking seam together with a little water.

12 Fill the cone with about 2.5 tablespoons of the potato mixture.
13. Stick the top of the cone together with a little water. The seam should be about 1/4 inch (5 mm) wide.
14. Repeat this again.

Cooking Samosa
15. Heat about 2 inches of oil for deep frying over a medium-low flame. (You may use a wok, Indian karhai or any other utensil you seem fit)
16. When the oil is hot, carefully put in as many samosas as it fits. Fry slowly, turning the samosas until they are golden brown and crisp.
17. Drain excess oil and serve hot.
Number of Servings:8

Samosa can be lightly oiled and baked to reduce calories. Ghee is usually used instead of oil to make the samosas.

Easy Mango Chutney

SERVES: 3-4
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
2 medium sized juicy semi ripe mangoes
½ tsp panch phoran - equal mix of cumin, fennel, mustard, nigella & fenugreek seeds
2 tbsp powdered jaggery or as required (adjust as per the sweetness of the mangoes). Palm sugar can be substituted.
1 tbsp peanut oil or any vegetable oil
½ inch ginger, grated or finely chopped
¼ tsp red chili powder
a pinch of garam masala powder
a pinch of asafoetida/hing
salt as required
INSTRUCTIONS
peel and finely chop the mangoes.
if the mangoes are very juicy and fibrous, you can just remove the pulp.
heat oil in the pan.
fry the panch phoran spices till fragrant.
now add the ginger and fry for some seconds till its raw aroma goes away.
add the finely chopped mango or mango pulp/puree.
add the red chili powder, garam masala powder and asafoetida.
stir.
simmer for 1-2 minutes.
add the powdered jaggery and salt.
stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
don't overcook as the mixture will become thick.
remove the mango chutney in a bowl.
serve mango chutney warm or at room temperature as dip or spread.
mango chutney stays good for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.

Chutney is used to top samosas. Tangy yogurt sauce can also top samosas. It would not be vegan.

You can also try this butternut squash soup with Asian flavors

TOM KHA GAI BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

PREP TIME 15 mins
COOK TIME 30 mins
TOTAL TIME 45 mins

Tom kha gai soup with a twist. Butternut squash puree makes it creamy, luxurious and doubles the flavor. Warm, gingery, spicy and the perfect vegan, GF-friendly soup to warm your weary bones.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS
1 small butternut squash, skin and seeds removed & cubed
1 14-oz. can light coconut milk
4 cups low-sodium veggie broth
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 small knob of fresh ginger, grated (~ 3 Tbsp)
2 stalks lemongrass (cut into 6-inch pieces for easy removal before serving)*
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp fish sauce (optional) you can use salt to taste instead
1/2 one Thai chili or serrano pepper, thinly sliced, seeds mostly removed
For Serving: 1 lime (quartered), fresh chopped cilantro and basil for garnish
INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add butternut squash to a baking sheet and toss with 2 Tbsp olive or coconut oil and a bit of sea salt. Roast for 12-15 minutes or until tender and cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
In the meantime, add coconut milk, vegetable broth, ginger, lemongrass, and shallot to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Then lower heat to a simmer. Add fish sauce (optional) and sliced pepper and stir.
Add butternut squash to a food processor or blender with 1 cup of the broth and puree until smooth. Add back into the soup and stir until well combined. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added more ginger and a pinch more salt at this point.
Before serving, discard lemongrass (if you used fresh stalks – otherwise ignore this instruction). Garnish with fresh lime juice (HIGHLY recommended), fresh basil and cilantro.
This would be lovely over rice or on its own. Store leftovers in covered in the fridge for several days. Freeze for longer term storage.
NOTES
* If you can’t find fresh lemongrass, sub 1 heaping Tbsp lemongrass paste found in the herb section.
NUTRITION INFORMATION
Serving size: 1 bowl Calories: 165 Fat: 7.5g Saturated fat: 5.4g Carbohydrates: 19g Sugar: 4g Sodium: 445mg Fiber: 2.5g Protein: 4.3g

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I am vegetarian and don't eat turkey, so I had to figure out what to do for Thanksgiving that wouldn't leave me and any other vegetarians present feeling deprived. One of the best things I have come up with is the nutmeat pate en brioche recipe from Vegetarian Epicure cookbook. A nearly identical recipe is here:

https://thestandardoftaste.wordpress.com ... n-brioche/

It is VERY rich, yummy, filling satisfying. The pate of various ground nuts, with eggs, cheese, wine, seasonings, is wrapped in a brioche dough, which is very rich bread with lots of egg yolks. If you have vegetarians coming to your Thanksgiving meal, I really recommend it.

imafan26
Mod

Sounds yummy. But vegans would not eat milk, cheese, butter, or any animal by products, so you would have to know what their restrictions may be. Ovo-lacto vegetarians will eat eggs and milk products.

I have Indian friends and it is hard when we select a restaurant for our club dinners since they do eat yogurt and butter, but broths have to be vegetable not chicken, fish, or beef and it cannot even have fish or oyster sauce.

He told me the best bet would be potatoes. So, I usually do roasted root vegetables with herbs.

I also really like Jai (monk's food) and I am not a vegetarian.
https://archives.starbulletin.com/98/01/ ... tory1.html

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I am vegetarian leaning towards vegan, but especially for festive occasions I do still eat some eggs and cheese.

For vegans I think a good main dish would be something like this lentil walnut loaf:

Ingredients:
•1 cup uncooked green lentils
•1 cup walnuts, finely chopped and toasted
•3 tbsp ground flax + 1/2 cup water
•3 garlic cloves, minced
•1.5 cups diced sweet onion
•1 cup diced celery
•1 cup grated carrot
•1/3 cup peeled and grated sweet apple (use a firm variety)
•1/3 cup raisins
•1/2 cup oat flour
•3/4 cup breadcrumbs
•2 tsp fresh thyme (or 3/4 tsp dried thyme)
•salt & pepper, to taste (I use about 3/4 tsp sea salt + more Herbamare)
•red pepper flakes, to taste

Balsamic Apple Glaze:
•1/4 cup ketchup
•1 tbsp pure maple syrup
•2 tbsp apple butter (or unsweetened applesauce in a pinch)
•2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Rinse and strain lentils. Place lentils into pot along with 3 cups of water (or veg broth). Bring to a boil and season with salt. Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer, uncovered, for at least 40-45 minutes. Stir frequently & add touch of water if needed. The goal is to over-cook the lentils slightly (see pictures in post). Mash lentils slightly with a spoon when ready.

2. Toast walnuts at 325F for about 8-10 minutes. Set aside. Increase oven temp to 350F.

3. Whisk ground flax with water in a small bowl and set aside.

4. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sautee the garlic and onion for about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Now add in the diced celery, shredded carrot and apple, and raisins. Sautee for about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.

5. In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together. Adjust seasonings to taste.

6. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper. Press mixture firmly into pan. Whisk glaze ingredients and then spread half on top of loaf. Reserve the rest for a dipping sauce.

7. Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes, uncovered. Edges will be lightly brown. Cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. I usually wait until loaf is cool before slicing.

Read more: https://ohsheglows.com/2012/10/05/glazed ... z3IdQV8MOF

There are lots of good rich vegan soups, and potatoes and sweet potatoes in various forms can easily be vegan.

imafan26
Mod

Sounds yummy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

where are all the vegetarians? I would think amongst a group of gardeners, there would be many (we grow veggies because we like them, right?)

Along with the main dishes listed above, lots of the traditional Thanksgiving side dishes are vegetarian or easily can be. Think about stuffed acorn squash, whipped sweet potatoes topped with pecans, rosemary roasted carrots (use the different colored heirloom carrots to make it beautiful!), green bean casserole, ginger orange cranberry sauce. With just a little care (no butter!), these can easily be made vegan.

And please don't forget to make some vegetarian stuffing that doesn't get put in the turkey and mushroom gravy. That's been some of the most disappointing to me at Thanksgiving dinners, that there is no stuffing or gravy I can eat.

applestar
Mod

They want me to make a vegetable or salad side dish -- any ideas for a festive and interesting recipe? Right now, every idea I've had so far is kind of boring.... :?

For a 2nd dish, I'm going to try to make THIS with the Thai Kang Kob squash/pumpkin I harvested:

Sangkaya Fak Thong (Thai Pumpkin Custard)
:arrow: https://thai-sweet-taste.blogspot.com/20 ... thong.html

...but that's more of a dessert and I think they are looking for a savory or refreshing kind of veg.

imafan26
Mod

I am not vegetarian. I like my meat, but I now have reduced my meat and eat more veggies.

I actually like roasted root vegetables or asparagus with garlic butter and fresh dill or thyme. It think they are dishes that are easy to make and appeal even to the non vegetarian guests.

Triple bean salad also has wider appeal and beans are a good source of protein

Edamame just cooked and seasoned with garlic salt makes a great snack

I also like tofu salad. It is easy. Just layer bite sized tofu on the bottom and on top in successive layers chopped tomatoes, red onions, watercress and topped with green onions with a sesame soy dressing.

You can also go with a vegetarian stir fry with tofu or seitan as the protein.

You can even just go with baked potatoes and let your guests choose their toppings, it works for everybody. Sometimes I just have a baked potato for dinner. It is almost a complete food.

Vegetarian chow mein is filling even without the meat. Vegetarian chili and Spaghetti with marinara will work too. You can even replace the noodles with spaghetti squash.

If they are ovo lacto vegetarians it is easier because eggs, yogurt and cheese will also be on the menu.
Quiche, veggie burgers, omelettes and don't forget the toasted nuts for toppings or snacks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar, if your extended family is anything like mine, the key to interesting Thanksgiving dishes is to do a variation on a traditional one with more seasonings and/or unexpected ingredients added. When I have tried to get too exotic, people have refused to try something they aren't familiar with. The ginger orange cranberry sauce I mentioned is an example. You can whip your mashed potatoes with celery root or Jerusalem artichoke. Here's a recipe for yams, with scallions, chilies, ginger, basil, and lime: https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Y ... -Scallions

How about glazed carrots with cardamom and ginger:
https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cardamom-glazed-carrots

You are very good at creative cooking like that.

Of course if you really want to get creative, there is this:

https://time.com/3595500/thankgiving-mea ... s-artists/

plates made up in the style of various artists :)

imafan26
Mod

I love it. The Chinese do say you eat with your eyes first. It is a great idea to scape the plate. You can make a game of it. However, in my house on Thanksgiving, everyone has starved all day to make room for dinner so, a small mountain of too much food just gets piled on the plates.

It is true that for Thanksgiving and for most parties comfort food rules. You cannot get too exotic or there may be a riot. One year my mother decided to make a new recipe and stripped the turkey of all of the skin, and we had a fit since who wants a naked turkey. But elevating comfort food with small changes like garlic mashed potatoes with the skins left on, making a mashed sweet potato, or adding a vegetable to the potatoes is a good way to make something different without being alien.

With all the heavy food served on Thanksgiving, sometimes simple and light is the way to go. Hey there is always room for agar agar right?
Last edited by imafan26 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Thanks rainbowgardener, you are giving me some great inspirations! :D

...AND I LOVED THAT LAST LINK! Wouldn't that be fun to make up each plate like that? Maybe not so much for Thanksgiving because I think "good hot meal", but I'd love to do a birthday party or a tea party like that..... 8)

Thanks to imafan, too -- you posted just before I hit submit and I got a little note from the forum. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You liked the artistic presentations? Here's a few more, not quite so far out ones:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/wh ... tation.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3392/4627 ... bbc6_z.jpg
(watermelon garnish)

https://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ ... 5eac57.jpg

There's a whole Pintrest page of "edible art" here

https://www.pinterest.com/recipeart/edi ... -food-art/

Many of these are much simpler and more manageable to do

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just thought I would bump this thread, since it is Thanksgiving again. I am making the Alton Brown version of green bean casserole - fresh green beans, real onions, baked until browned, no cream of mushroom soup, use a white sauce and fresh mushrooms. I think it will be much nicer than the old standby.

I'm going to do the ginger glazed carrots described in this thread and from scratch mashed potatoes and a green salad. Since I will be the only vegetarian this year, I'm not bothering with a vegetarian entree. I can just eat all the sides and have more room for pie - someone else is bringing pumpkin and apple pies!

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all !!

webmaster
Site Admin

Happy Thanksgiving!

applestar
Mod

Happy Thanksgiving Day everyone

I have it easy today since I'm not responsible for anything -- so I'm just taking a jar each of hot pepper jelly and sweet relish I made this summer.

Tomorrow, I'm expecting to make leftover turkey pot pie and will be making a gluten-free german recipe cake. :-()

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Happy Thanksgiving, RainbowGardener, AppleStar, Imafan, Webmaster. Happy Thanksgiving, Every One!

I was a vegetarian for 3 years. During that time, I was also a single father. My son would have meat when visiting his grandparents or mother. I went back to eating meat. DS went off to college and, in a few years, became a vegan - and remained so for many years. He would eat what wasn't meat at Thanksgiving - notably, Apple Pie ;)!

So, other than apple pie, using grandma's recipe (& dinner rolls using grandma's recipe) -- I could make stuffing with veggie broth.

This year, the bird will not be stuffed. Dear Daughter is putting a glaze on it. My wife is a great traditionalist. She subscribes to all of my Mom's choices. Mom is no longer with us and, how could I object?!

I've often put extra stuffing in a loaf pan. Today would give me a chance to tweak my technique and hope I get it right ... enuf. DW panicked! We got 2 boxes of Stove Top dressing!!!

I can remember using one of those once in the last quarter-century! What in Heavens can be done to make it a little more special/better? Looked for a recipe ...

It turned out as a Carrot & Cheese casserole ;). I think I could have done just as well (better?) using my time-honored stuffing with the vegetable broth. We have lots of carrots, so I made 2. Here's the recipe for 1:

1 pkg Stove Top stuffing
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can cream of mushroom (or celery) soup
1 medium onion, diced
1 Tablespoon margarine
1 pound of carrots, diced

Cook carrots in a small amount of water until just tender, about 7 minutes.
Sauté onion in margarine.
Combine carrots and onions with soup.
Prepare 1 box (6 oz) of Stove Top as per directions on box.
In a 2 quart casserole spoon in 1/2 the stuffing, 1/2 the carrot mix, and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat.
Bake at 350°f for 20 to 25 minutes.

! Steve

imafan26
Mod

Happy thanksgiving everyone.

I was assigned mashed potatoes. Does anyone have a good recipe?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, you can do like I did with my Red La Soda potatoes. Cook them with celery root.

After draining off the cooking water, I put cream cheese in the hot, cooked potatoes instead of butter or margarine. As it melted I whipped it in with half and half. Salt and Pepper and Gravy.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Peel and cube the potatoes. Boil them until fork tender, drain and rinse. Whip them with butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. Put the whipped potatoes in a casserole dish and bake at 375 for about 20 min. If you aren't having gravy with the potatoes you can add grated cheese to them before baking.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the recipes. I don't even know where to get celery root here, but I did use Rainbow's recipe. I got some Yukon potatoes. I was surprised I could actually find them. We don't usually have more than 3 choices, red, salad, and russet, for white potatoes. I peeled and cut them up and boiled them in salted water for about 20 minutes. Drained and then mashed them. I had to buy a potato masher since my old one was rusty from being stored so long. I added a couple of tablespoons of butter, sour cream, and heavy cream and whipped the potatoes smooth. Salt and pepper and a little paprika on top. Baked at 350 for 30 minutes. I had to take them out early since my ride came to pick me up before they were ready to come out, but it turned out very well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yukon potatoes would be really good and make pretty mashed potatoes.

I didn't actually "mash" my potatoes at all. Once they are boiled tender, they can go directly in the mixer...

I didn't mention it, but I did dust the finished potatoes with smoked paprika.

imafan26
Mod

I thought about putting it in the mixer, it still turned out fine with the masher. The potatoes were easy to mash and mix by hand. It is good to know that I can put it in the mixer too.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”