ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Soup in the pot

Earlier in the week I had one of those run around days where I did not feel like cooking so I picked up a roasted chicken from the market. Only ate half of it. Yesterday G decided to cook a turkey in his oil free turkey fryer. The drip pan was full of wonderful drippings that gelled up in the refrigerator over night. The pan that the chicken came in also had a good bit of gelled drippings. Yesterday I boiled the turkey neck and giblets in water with onions, celery, salt and pepper. Took the meat off of the neck and diced up the giblets. (OOPS - I ate the heart).

I just tossed the turkey and chicken drippings and the gibbets and giblet water into my soup pot with a couple of quarts of water. I took the meat off of the turkey and chicken carcass and tossed the bones and skin into the pot. Added 2 large onions - large dice, 6 ribs celery with leaves - rough chop and 2 quarts chicken broth. It is simmering and smelling GOOD. When the residual meat is falling off of the bones I will remove the skin and the bones. I will probably add another 2 to 4 ribs of celery and more chicken broth. We really like an intense celery flavor in this soup. Let that simmer then taste and adjust seasoning . Probably won't need much if any seasoning since both the turkey and chicken were seasoned. Once the broth is right I will add the chicken meat and some turkey meat.

Turkey/chicken celery soup with a big salad will be dinner tonight.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Added another 6 ribs of celery. Tossed in the chicken and turkey meat plus more broth and water - it cooked down. No additional seasoning needed. Divine. Intense celery favor in an extremely rich broth with the turkey and chicken. Had the soup with a salad and crusty bread. A very satisfying dinner.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”