JayPoc
Greener Thumb

salsa?

So I made a batch of salsa...no recipe, just adding the right stuff as I went. I seeded a good size batch of assorted maters, and roasted them on the grill. Chopped, and into the pot. I roasted 3 red jalapenos and one green bell pepper over the fire, and flaked off most of the charred skin. Chopped, and into the pot...seeds and all for the jalaps. Then I added most of a sweet onion and cooked it down until just about translucent. Then I added the juice of one large and very juicy lime, some salt, and a good handful of cilantro.

Flavor is very good, although a little too hot for our taste (these jalaps are hotter than most), and also a little too sweet. Why do you think they too sweet? Did the sweet onion do me in? Should I add a little more lime or maybe some vinegar? Were the maters just too sweet? Tips for next time? Thanks...

applestar
Mod

I think all of the roasting and charring, cooked sweet onions added the sweetness. The "very juicy" lime was probably more ripe and sweet. I think you could add vinegar or juice from a harder lime, maybe a little more salt.

It's also possible that letting the flavors meld overnight in the fridge will mellow the hot and the sweetness/sugars will be broken down somewhat, and you will find it more to your taste.

I think the flavor of the tomatoes is very important. All the taste testing we've been doing has emphasized how very differently they can taste. And the strong acid finish tomatoes are definitely going to be the ones used for things like salsa here.

imafan26
Mod

I agree with Applestar, roasting vegetables generally brings out their sweetness especially if you roast them until they caramelize. If you want less heat, remove the seeds from some or all of the peppers, that is where most of the heat comes from. I add lemon or lime juice to my salsa, but when I make a roasted salsa, I just put it in a blender or chop them up, and I don't continue to cook them. I try to keep it a little more chunky. Salsa should sit to blend flavors for at least 4 hours or overnight.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

It had already sat overnight. I have a full quart jar and about another pint. If all else fails, I could puree it and use it as a mean bloody Maria mix....

applestar
Mod

OK. Well, if it's overly spicy AND too sweet, you can neutralize the spiciness with acid -- so more lime juice or vinegar, or balance the sweet with salt.

Since sweetness is an issue here, vinegar is probably a better choice to start with.
If everything else is working well flavor wise, I think I would stick with milder less assertive vinegar like rice vinegar or maybe red wine vinegar.

:idea: Are you eating the salsa with tortilla chips? If so you may not want to add more salt. One way to tone down on the spiciness is to layer the salsa with sour cream in a dip.

imafan26
Mod

You could add more tomatoes or tomatillos that are not roasted. Use a more acidic tomato. It would dilute the heat as well. I would test it on only part of the salsa you have to see how it works. I usually only make a cup of salsa and I wouldn't know what to do with a quart.

meshmouse

JayPoc -

First, let me say that I commend you for batching salsa with no recipe. You are not only cooking, you are 'chef' -ing. If you don't make mistakes, you can't make progress, and from mistakes comes greatness (perhaps the best Bloody Maria ever made).

I will try to be quick and to the point (good luck). I've never made salsa with so many cooked ingredients. I like the roasted pepper idea. The onion I would definitley keep raw and finely diced. You need something crisp and with bite to my thinking. Tomatos raw as well (they are the star after all), but again, that's just me.

IMHO imafan and applestar are on point about everything they said regarding balancing flavors. My only addition would be to remove the membrane with the seeds (the light pithy stuff that holds the seeds to the 'pepper', it's hot too). Reserve them in case more heat is needed.

Tomatillos are tart , so balance the acid afterwards.

As for additions, some roasted fresh corn de-cobbed would also add some nice smokey crisp bits.

Personally, I'd be adding some fresh minced garlic (tho be carefull of the heat it might add).

Fresh grated ginger can work (heat as well), parsley with that cilantro (rounds it out). Diced cukes can smooth things out as needed.

And, well, then there's mint. Try it, you'll like it.

I think the key (as I'm sure you already know) is to taste as you go, maintain balance, and keep working it - but don't over work it. It's a matter of very personal choices.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Everything I make with maters seems too sweet. I tried different varieties and experimenting with vinegar. Now I just try to use maters with slightly green shoulders or green maters ripened on the counter. It's probably because that's what we are used to from the tartness of store bought canned tomatoes. A good vine ripened mater is just sweet!! That's what were after for a fresh slicer with a little salt and pepper. Most canned sauces, salsas etc......add sugar.

imafan26
Mod

You must have sweet soil or you select sweet tomatoes. Yellow pear is an heirloom and way to tart for me. Jubilee grows well but again is not sweet. I have grown a few really sweet tomatoes like Sungold and sweet mojo and decent productive tomatoes like sweet 100 and the old time tomato taste from Brandywine.

I have had my share of sounded better than they tasted tomatoes.

I actually do not mind a bland tomato as long as it has a thin skin, and is not tart.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”