applestar
Mod

Japanese Chinese-style Summer Cold Pasta (Salad)

Adapted from : https://www.orangepage.net/recipes/detail_116697

Ingredients: ( ) my additions/modifications

Thin spaghetti or cappelini
Ham
Cucumber
Tomato (full flavored with good lingering acid flavor)
(I used Ananas Noire)
(Snap beans)
Eggs
(Fresh salsa/Pico de gallo)

Dressing (serves 4 according to the recipe)
6 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS sugar
(1 TBS unsulfured molasses)
6 TBS Rice wine vinegar (or Red wine vinegar)
1/4 tsp fresh ginger juice (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
1 TBS ROASTED sesame oil
2 TBS toasted white sesame seeds (or golden flax seeds)

(2-3 TBS Dried shredded coconut)
(Oil, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper)

Directions:

While water is boiling for pasta, cut ham in strips, and cut cucumber into matchsticks or thin slices with mandoline (I used a thin waffle slicer). Peel and core tomatoes then cut into sticks or rough dice and drain.
Mix the dressing ingredients until sugar (and molasses) are dissolved.
Heat a salute pan, add oil (and the pico de gallo), and make scrambled eggs and cool.
Cook pasta al dente (add the trimmed beans at this point) then a minute longer. Have a large bowl of ice water ready, and quickly drain the hot water and chill the pasta (and beans) in the ice water, then drain well.
(Cut the beans in thin diagonal sticks.)

Plate by mounding the pasta and arranging ham, cucumbers, tomato, beans, scrambled eggs on or around the pasta. (Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper and the shredded coconut to taste.) Then drizzle around a moderate amount of the dressing. Don't toss but eat the dry and dressed portions together.

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like somen salad

I usually don't scramble the eggs but make an omelette and cut it into thin strips

I also have added Char siu, cooked shrimp, surimi, crab, and or fish cake (kamaboko).

Your sauce is a little different, I don't have coconut in mine, that sounds interesting though.

We use somen soba noodles, but angel hair pasta might be easier for some people to find. Around here, nearly every store carries it. Cook the noodles and drain. Noodles are usually placed on the salad in bundles. 1 bundle is one serving. It makes it easier for people to get a portion of the noodles without having to fight the mass and it makes the portions fair.

Iceberg lettuce is usually the base but shredded head cabbage, and bean sprouts can also be added.

applestar
Mod

I usually don't scramble the eggs but make an omelette and cut it into thin strips

Yeah that's what I was thinking, too, but that's how the recipe was written, so I figured I might as well push it further out of the box and make it more "interesting".

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”