Decado
Green Thumb

Canned Kohlrabi?

So I canned some kohlrabi a few weeks ago using the same recipe I used for dill pickles. It didn't occur to me until now that it may not be safe to water bath can kohlrabi. I couldn't find any info on this. Should I be throwing it out or is it just fine?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure what you mean by "using the same recipe as for dill pickles." Does that mean you added vinegar, the way you do for pickles? If so, no problem. The issue is the acidity and if you added vinegar, then you are fine. If not, then the kohlrabi should be used in the next few weeks.

Decado
Green Thumb

Well vinegar and water and sugar and salt and spices. The same recipe I used for the pickles I made that I got out of the Ball canning book. The reason I thought of it is because some vegetables, like green beans, need to be pressure canned for the higher temperature.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The issue is acidity. Green beens are not acid. If you were to pickle your green beans in vinegar, then you could water bath can them also. It sounds like you are fine.

Decado
Green Thumb

Really? Everything I've found searching google and in the Ball book says you have to pressure can beans.

applestar
Mod

Did you search for canning pickled beans?

Here's an example: https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/ ... %20Can.pdf

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

the issue is the acidity:

"Making and canning your own pickled dilled green beans is one of the easiest things you can do with your green beans to preserve it for later use! Here's how to do it, in easy steps and completely illustrated..

Ingredients
##4 lbs fresh tender green or yellow beans (5 to 6 inches long) - fresh, firm - not wilted, soft or overripe!
##4 cups vinegar (5%, white vinegar is best, apple cider vinegar also works well).
etc

Equipment
##1 Water Bath Canner

https://www.pickyourown.org/greenbeans_pickled.htm

If you pickle green beans you can water bath can them. Without the vinegar, you have to pressure can them.

Decado
Green Thumb

Ah well that's great, now I know what I can do with some of the 16 pounds of beans I've picked so far.

@applestar I searched for canning green beans but not pickled. >.<

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”