dsyukon

Salsa Recipes

Hello,
Hope that you all have had a great season so far. in need of a lil help with a good salsa recipe for a novice. If you can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It is difficult to make bad salsa. We tried a salsa with fresh corn this summer and it was great. But whatever mix of fresh ingredients will be wonderful. Fresh tomatoes, onion, avocado,corn, garlic, even blueberries, jalapeños, cilantro, salt, lime juice. Any combination in any ratio will give a delightful salsa. Our basic salsa just has tomato, onion, jalapeño, avocado, cilantro, salt, lime juice. Play with the mix to suit your taste

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

We too are also looking for a great Salsa recipe! Will have a lot of tomatoes to harvest this year! :-()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

My basic go to is 6 largish (scalded and skinned) whole tomatoes, chopped onion, a squirt of lime, and a jalapeño seeds and all, but not the stem. Put it in the blender and pulse until it's the consistency you like. I like mine on the smoother side, mainly because I don't like onion's texture all that much.

Then I chop a handful of cilantro and stir it in. I add salt to taste.

Homemade chips are pretty easy too. I shallow fry corn tortillas in light olive oil (about 1/2 inch) until golden and crispy and then sprinkle them with a little salt.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Salsa can be either cooked or raw. If raw, the ingredients are pureed to a semi smooth consistency. If you want a red salsa make it tomato based if you want salsa Verde use tomatillos. Do scald your tomatoes or tomatillos in boiling water for 1 minute then dunk in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Peel. The skin is not pleasant in a salsa. Must haves are onions, garlic, Jalapeno (I don't like the seeds), cilantro, the zest of a small lime, 2 tbsp. lime juice and a drizzle of premium olive oil. Blend and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Salt and pepper to taste.

Pica de Gallo is basically the same ingredients diced and minced - chunky rather than blended.

The salsa you buy in a jar is cooked salsa. The same ingredients cooked down to a dipping consistency.

Good luck and enjoy.

grrlgeek

We made fresh salsa over the weekend from the garden. Fast and fresh and ready to eat before you're even done chopping:

4-5 medium sized tomatoes - diced to the size you like it (we used a rainbow of coloured tomatoes and diced them chunky)
1 medium size onion, diced in small pieces
2 serrano green chili peppers, chopped small (more if you like it HOT)
big handful of coarsely chopped cilantro
squeeze of lemon juice (or lime juice)

Toss and serve. Serves 2, but be prepared to dip faster than your snack buddy! This is also a great addition to carne asada tacos, or piled onto a baked potato with cottage cheese (or sour cream).

mattie g
Green Thumb

I make two kinds of salsa: 1) cooked and canned and 2) pico de gallo.

The pico is much, much simpler to make. I don't have exact measurements, as I make varying amounts depending on who I expect to be partaking in it (and I taste as I make it), but for a small party, I'd probably do something like this:

2 lb tomatoes (diced)
1 lb white onions (diced)
4-5 mediuim-sized jalapenos (diced)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of 2 limes
1-2 tsp salt (start with 1 tsp and add more if desired)

Mix ingredients together in a bowl and let sit for about an hour (if you can help it!) to let flavors marry. The great thnings about pico de gallo is that it's a fresh recipe, so you can mess with the amounts of these ingredients in whatever way you like - just chop a little more of this or that and add until it's how you like it.

My canned salsa is a bit more involved, and I've only been making it a couple years so I need to refer to my recipe (which I don't have on hand). It *is* good though! :lol:

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

These are all lovely fresh salsa recipes, but does any one have any cooked salsa recipes? :-()

imafan26
Mod

5 tomatoes
3 tbl lime juice
1 bulb garlic
1/ cup cilantro
1-3 jalapenos
1 small onion. quartered
sea salt
fresh ground pepper
Cut part of the top off the garlic bulb to expose the garlic cloves. Place in foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap garlic in foil and roast at 400 degrees until browned and tender about 30 minutes.
Roast tomatoes, jalapenos, and onion on the grill or the oven until the skins are blackened and charred about 6 minutes, turning frequently to char all sides. Put tomatoes and jalapenos in a brown paper bag. Peel off skins of roasted tomatoes and jalapenos
Place roasted vegetables, cilantro, lemon juice and approximately 2 tablespoons of roasted garlic in blender and coarsely puree or chop roasted vegetables coarsely by hand. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Allow salsa to sit for at least one hour before serving for the flavors to blend. Keep in clean jar in refrigerator up to 1 week.

NancyJo

I'm going to try the pico recipe this weekend , thanks Mattie g for posting it.
Although I will have to go to the farmers market and pay $4 a lb for tomatoes, Only fresh tomatoes this time of year are from the Amish that have large hoop houses as we are so far north I will not have any ripe until mid Aug , well that's what I'm hoping for LOL

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Wow Nancyjo! That is expensive for tomatoes but I guess you have to get what you can! Sorry to hear you have to wait until August for yours to ripen! Ours are just starting to ripen now!

NancyJo

your lucky clg and your ever farther North than me . It was such a rotten late spring here I thought I would never get them in the ground. And I wish I had the funds to put up a large hoop house , I would love to get that kind of cash, for doing something I love.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My wife tried a new verde yesterday and today. I requested a repeat! We had several green tomatoes, so I requested some kind of salad or salsa, and the wife responded with a salsa. Like all salsa's the ratios are really to individual taste. This has green tomato, jalapeno, avocado, onion, salt. Vary to taste. Was extremely good and very different from most salsas, even different from the verde made from tomatillo. Ours was mostly green tomatoes (5 medium) half avocado and cilantro. Small amounts of diced onion and jalapeno, added after tomatoes and avocado were pulsed in the food processor. Add a little salt and some cumin if desired. Most people would probably like a little more onion than we used.

Tomatoes should be green ripe, either just before blush or with slight blush.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Hendi_Alex that sounds like a delicious salsa! :-()

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Here is a cooked salsa that never fails!
ANNIES ORIGINAL SALSA
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 cups chopped onion
1 cups chopped green pepper
3 -5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.

Makes 6 pints
Annie has made a couple changes to her original recipe.
1/4 cup sugar(1/3 in original recipe)
2/3 cup vinegar if BWB / 1/3 cup if pressure canned
8 oz tomato paste instead of 16

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Above edited to add cilantro an essential ingredient.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Juliuskitty, thanks for your cooked salsa recipe! :-()

less-is-more
Newly Registered

Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Only problem with this recipe is it doesn't LAST! My absolute favorite salsa...you can simplify by using purchased canned ingredients (what I do in the middle of the winter and we run out of Salsa) or use all home made and home grown. I have started using my own dried beans...such a flexible recipe!

Black Bean and Corn Salsa
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 ½ cups chopped onions (red are nice but not necessary)
1 ½ cups sweet green peppers
1 cup jalapeno pepper chopped
1 cubanelle pepper, chopped
6 garlic cloves minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 cup pickling salt
1/3 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 – 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 – 12 ounce tomato paste
2 – 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups corn, fresh canned or frozen

Note:
* I use a total of 3 ½ cups chopped peppers, whatever I have on hand or was able to find at the market.
* The end result is a mild to medium salsa at best, adjust accordingly.

Heat the salsa to a gentle simmer. There is no need to cook it; you just want to get hot enough for canning.

Fill the jars with salsa, allowing 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims for any spills. Seat the lids and hand-tighten the rings around them.

I always pressure can this recipe but I know of people who use a water bath...To water bath can the salsa: Put the jars in the canner and keep them covered with at least 1 inch of water. Keep the water boiling. Process the jars in a boiling-water bath for 15 minutes for 8 oz and pints and 20 minutes for quarts.

To pressure can the salsa: Fill canner with water according to manufacturer’s directions. Process the salsa at a pressure of 10 to 11 pounds, 10 minutes for pint jars and 15 minutes for quarts.

FourEyes45
Newly Registered

JULIU THAT is some good stuff.. made some today WOW

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”