ChrisC_77

Any coffee roasters out there?

My wife and I enjoy whole bean coffee and we only buy from one company online and have so for at least 8 years. Although we will continue to do so, I wanted to try my hand at home roasting. I don't want to spend money on special roasters, etc. I have read where you can use a cast iron skillet. I have a ceramic coated skillet if that might work. If you have ever roasted your own coffee beans, what can you tell me about your experience? Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Re: Any coffee roasters out there?

Have not tried yet, though I've thought about it. Someday, my little coffee bush will start to bloom and yield berries. 8)

I have heard that stove-top or electric (not air) popcorn poppers with rotating paddle stirrer works well. Good ventilation a must.

I do have a Whirley-Pop popper and might try that. Maybe I'll get some light roasted beans and try roasting them into medium or dark roast....
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

ChrisC_77

Re: Any coffee roasters out there?

applestar wrote:Have not tried yet, though I've thought about it. Someday, my little coffee bush will start to bloom and yield berries. 8)

I have heard that stove-top or electric (not air) popcorn poppers with rotating paddle stirrer works well. Good ventilation a must.

I do have a Whirley-Pop popper and might try that. Maybe I'll get some light roasted beans and try roasting them into medium or dark roast....
There are a few companies that sell green beans for home roasting. The one I have looked at so far is called Coffee Project. You can Google their website.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”