grrlgeek

Share Your Okra Recipes!

Over in this thread:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =4&t=58241

folks were providing suggestions to another member about what might be grown in a couple of extra raised beds that were sitting idle. One thing led to another, and it quickly became an impromptu meeting of the Okra Appreciation Society. So many tantalising dishes were named, but not enough details!

So at applestar's nudging, I opened this thread to share some of the ways I like to cook okra. I hope that all fellow okra aficionados will jump in and share your recipes too!
Last edited by grrlgeek on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grrlgeek

Namaste! I’ll get the hardest (to write down) recipe out of the way first.

This is an Indian dry spice masala stuffing for okra or any number of things. There are hundreds of ways to vary it. I don't make it this way every time; I may not even have made it this way more than one time. Sometimes I don't have an ingredient, or something sounds more interesting, or I feel like a little kick of something else entirely. The basic steps are always the same, but this is a good recipe to experiment with. At its heart are the robust (not necessarily hot) Indian spices, nestled inside tender young okra.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp mango powder
(I’ve never had mango powder, so I just mash up a mango and use 3-4 Tbsp)
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp coriander seed
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground chilli powder
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp ground turmeric
pinch of salt

15-20 whole, young okra

vegetable oil for frying and mixing
(I’ve used ghee too, but didn’t like it. Sunflower oil is nice; so is macadamia oil)
3-4 tbsp cornstarch to achieve a light, almost “just dusted” breading
(besan aka gram flour aka chickpea flour works great too)

Directions:

Combine the dry spices with 1/2 teaspoon of oil and let rest for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.

Wash and dry the okra with a towel. Remove the stem, but don't cut off the whole top. Slit the okra down the middle on one side only - opening just the centre of the pod like a little pocket – do not slice the ends open.

Stuff the okra with the spice mixture, then place in a large plastic bag with the cornstarch to lightly coat the pieces.

In a large skillet, use enough oil to cover a single layer of okra and heat the oil. Add okra, slit-side up to begin, and fry in small batches. Cover the skillet, but leave an opening to vent. Do not turn until the bottom is browned – about 6-8 mins. After turning, fry for another 2-3 mins more. Remove to a towel to soak up excess oil then serve hot.

Common deviations – skip the garam masala (or not) and use any combination of fennel, garlic, and onion powders, plus a pinch of hing powder. You can make a more “fresh stuffing” by using fresh garlic, onion, and ginger and lightly frying in a drizzle of oil before mixing with the dry spices. You can make it really heady by using whole fennel, cumin, and crushed red peppers. Sometimes I use kala jeera (black cumin, but not Nigella sativa, though who knows what’s really in the bag from the Indian store; it might be caraway, LOL) instead of cumin, because I'm feeling daring.

Credit where it is due: I adapted this recipe a great deal, but the base inspiration was from Mridula Baljekar's Best Ever Curry Cookbook

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We have various ways of preparing okra, but we have come to love oven roasted (or grill roasted) so well, we usually just opt for that. It serves as a simple, delicious side. When roasted in olive oil with a few favorite spices, okra is very healthy and nutritious. Gets us away from all of that oil used when frying or when prepping in a skillet with oil and corn meal.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I tend to cook simple, usually get to it when I'm tired, and usually just me. I like small fresh okras. Just rinse, cut off stem end, and slice about 1/2" thick. Saute lightly in a bit of olive oil, add salt to taste and a bit of whatever herb (oregano, marjoram, thyme). This way isn't slimy.

I froze a few small batches, leaving whole and blanching. When I took them out sliced to fry very slimy. Tried whole and still have the slime factor.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Growing up okra fried in a beer batter was a treat.

Smothered Okra

Slice Okra 1/2"- 3/4" thick
Dice onions
mince garlic
diced bell pepper
chopped fresh tomatoes - dunk the tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove to an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Peel and remove the seeds - reserve the seeds. There will be a lot of water with the seeds- You can use that for extra liquid if you need it.

Heat a heavy skillet to medium high. Toss in the okra and stir frequently to keep it from burning . This step gets rid of the slime which many people find unappealing. Reduce the heat to medium and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir frequently and cook until all ingredients are tender. If it needs more liquid use the tomato water. Taste - season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Very good as a side or serve it over rice or pasta.

Dad loved boiled okra. Young, tender okra boiled and seasoned with salt, pepper and vinegar. Served cold - there is a slime factor with the boiled okra. Mom also pickled young okra.

Grrlgeek - your recipe sounds great!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I never liked okra no matter how it was cooked until I moved to Tennessee. When I first moved to TN if I was offered okra I said, NO WAY I hate that stuff. Southern style cooking makes a world of difference.

Harvest small okra when it is still soft.
Mix 1/2 cup of butter milk with 1/2 teaspoon of water.
Slice okra into 1/2" thick slices then stir it into the butter milk mixture.
Put the okra into a strainer so the liquid all drains out.

Mix 1 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt, in a large bowl.
Mix in the okra pieces and stir well. Make sure the pieces are not stuck together. Stir well every 5 minutes by hand for 45 minutes.
Dump the okra 1 cup at a time into a large hole strainer and shake around to remove all the loose flour.

Put 1" of Crisco oil in a large 10" cast iron skillet. Heat oil until it starts to smoke.
Dump in enough okra to make 1 layer that completely fills the skillet, stir well to keep pieces from sticking together until golden brown.
Use a strainer spoon to dip out the okra onto paper towels.
Let the paper towel soak up the extra oil then serve while it is still hot.

Okra should be crispy on the outside and cooked until done on the inside.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

when frying or when prepping in a skillet with oil and corn meal.
Sigh... It's just so good fried like that!
I'm the only one in the house that likes it. My husband refers to it as "that vile weed". During the season, I will fry some like that when I have big Sunday dinners for my family.

I like it grilled also! I split it lengthwise and toss it with salt, pepper and olive oil. Then I grill it till it's crispy and a little charred on the outside.

catgrass
Green Thumb

1 lb. sausage-(a type without a lot of grease/fat), approximately 2 quarts of cut okra, 1 small onion, garlic if you like, a little celery and a little bit bell pepper, salt, pepper seasonings. Cut the sausage into about 1/4 inch rounds, brown in a 3 quart pot (not aluminum), as it starts to brown, add the okra and brown (over medium/high heat) and stir often to prevent sticking & scorching. Add a little water, about 1/4- 1/2 cup at a time. You want the mixture to be moist, but not real soupy. Cover, reduce heat. At this time, if you like, you can add a can of stewed tomatoes. Cook about 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Let sit a while before serving. I serve this over rice, so you want it to be a little "saucy".

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”