rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

first big spring salad!

This isn't exactly recipes, but it is food...

I'm just celebrating that I finally had the first big spring salad of the year, for dinner last night. It was a lot of spinach (right now I have more spinach than I can use, will probably freeze some), some chard, some leaf lettuce, a bunch of celery (mostly leaves), and then a whole bunch of herbs - some purple basil, some fennel, some dill, some lemon balm, some lemon grass, some parsley - and what I could gather of weeds - violet leaves, some creeping Charlie flowers for ornamentation, with a little bit of store bought iceberg for crunch. Add toppings of your choice (I like craisins and crumbled feta, with something crunchy, maybe tortilla strips or nuts) and presto a beautiful, colorful, FLAVORFUL, vitamin rich salad!.

Now we are in to the season where all the work pays off! :)

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Is this the violet you eat?
And creeping charlie?

I have more of this than grass but never made a positive ID.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes and yes.

I have to say the creeping Charlie is edible, meaning it won't hurt you and it may have medicinal values, but having sampled it, I wouldn't choose it over the veggies in my garden. :) I just like to put flowers in things.
Attachments
555589_415825981770046_1771385285_n.jpg

applestar
Mod

Beautiful! I like flowers in my salads too. :D

I've been eating smallish salads -- another week or so should get me bigger harvest. Rain clouds have been avoiding my garden (I swear I look at the radar and the clouds disperse and go AROUND) but it's raining now and is supposed to give us a good soaking all afternoon, so that should help. :wink:

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I've been getting 6 to 10 good servings of salad a week from the GH aquaponics and it's still kicking it out. I pulled the kale. It was the first time I have grown it and we didn't care for it fresh or stir fried so I froze it for soup. My chard is very salty...is this normal? It is fairly new to us also. When I mix it in salads I don't notice it. The garden has a bunch of black seed, romaine and chard almost ready to harvest. The spinach is starting to bolt... :cry: My favorite has been the broccoli leaves, spinach and chard in stir fry but we are trying to learn how to balance the flavor with fresh greens.

On a side note...is it ok to cut off broccoli leaves that are shading out other plants before it heads?

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”